Do you talk to NPCs that do not trigger events in RPGs?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
RPGs normally have a bunch of NPCs in their worlds who tell you certain things. Sometimes the information can be important because of hints and other times they can be stuff you don't really need to know unless you don't mind reading the minor details about what's going on (eg. the mayor just returned from his hunting trip and scored big this time).

So what do you do? Do you read what they have to say, press A on them without reading the text or just ignore them?

Reactions: Jisenku
RPGs normally have a bunch of NPCs in their worlds who tell you certain things. Sometimes the information can be important because of hints and other times they can be stuff you don't really need to know unless you don't mind reading the minor details about what's going on (eg. the mayor just returned from his hunting trip and scored big this time).

So what do you do? Do you read what they have to say, press A on them without reading the text or just ignore them?
If I’m bored or they have something funny to say then yeah

Always and this is why it takes me like 200h to finish a 50h game lol. I always go down every nook and cranny, talking to everyone I can. I like getting more lore, getting to know more characters and also just exploring. That one person who you think is just sitting quiet in a corner with nothing to say, might end up giving you something.

Always worth exploring ;)

• Funny
Reactions: phofufury and Jisenku
depend of the game ,in fire emblem 3h talking to NPC can give you some interesting information about the world and whats happening and how most people in that world see it

altrough that is not the case in most rpg where they say things you already knew or some generic things like "oh man what a good day it is" while you are stealing every possible item you can get in their homes(?)

Of course I do, some of the side NPCs have really interesting things to say, depending on the game. I did it in Outer Worlds and you learn some awesome and twisted stuff.

Reactions: Marc and 28142
Interesting :3
Mate, play Outer Worlds on the Switch when it releases. It's messed up and amazing.

Reactions: Marc and 28142
I can't keep track of all NPCs to say I like to talk to every one but for the most part yes. Most of them I forgot what they said or I talk to them for items/quests. If the story has an objective that's out of the way compared to the path the story takes me I most likely don't talk to them. If it's a game I want to know more about I talk to every one anyways. It's not like I look at guides and look specifically for NPCs that don't give you stuff because there isn't.

I dont always. I sometimes do when im bored and just running around. But most of the time, im too focused on the main plot and i just try finishing the game. Like in zelda.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends. Sometimes I get really bored. I feel like I have gaming ADD or something, lol. I also am not a fan of having to read paragraphs hidden in the world. For instance, on The Outer Worlds there are all these logs you can find on PCs and they can get really tedious to read through. Sometimes I just want to play the freaking game. But then again, I always feel I’m missing something if I don’t so I do make an attempt to always read/talk to everyone lol.

I talk to everyone. You never know who will have a side quest or free items. At the very least, you get a much clearer picture of the world you’re playing in, which enhances the game experience.

I try to talk to everyone because some games make it so you can't see what they had to say if you progress the story too far
Sometimes I forget to talk to someone and it's a pain to play through the game on a second save just to talk to some random guy

Depends if I'm in a rush. If I just want to get it over with, I don't. If I've got copious amounts of time to spare or am completely bored for some other reason, I may decide to talk to the NPCs I meet.

Also depends on how many NPCs there are. Some games have barely any, others have a few dozen every other town you visit.

Usually, though not always. If I am really enjoying the game and its dialogue, absolutely. And will often go back after major events and check if new dialogue options appear.

If the game is more taxing or if I am weary from grinding, I may skip some.

i try to, tho sometimes im running out of time, or its getting to boring, or i got a little sibling who can't sit through what a NPC is saying and says "Boring! SKIP!" Most of the time i love to talk to NPCs who do not trigger events, they give interesting background info of the world, or even the storyline. You may also find out a trick u can use. If i do skip it tho, i'd eventually go back since NPCs say the same stuff over and over.

I love talking to npcs. even if they don't do anything it feels like you are missing out on things when you don't talk to them. i play pokemon a lot and i know some people just skip talking to the town npcs but i personally love to talk to them and hear what they say. you even get items and stuff from them so you never know its usually worth talking to npcs just to hear what they have to say. also yeah sometimes they can have funny things to say lol

Reactions: Duffy
Heck yeah I do! I love reading the dialog people put in the games to see if they say something interesting or make a joke or give me an item.

Back