Do you think Nintendo could see a competitor in the future?

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
Nintendo made their mark as a family-friendly company who aimed to make their games accessible for a casual audience, unlike many other games that were coming to light in the 90s-00s. Since the Switch was released, they have shifted their focus away from this old perspective, instead toughening themselves up since the failure of the Wii U to instead try and turn a greater profit this time around. The strategy has proved to be immensely successful with many of the new games going on to break many records. In one instance, I even heard of BotW selling more copies than the console itself.

Now this has come to pass, do you think we could see a new competitor entering the fray to fill Nintendo's shoes if they continue to walk down this path? Or will the gaming industry become more competitive until casual games simply can't stay afloat as a focus anymore?

I'm sincerely hoping the latter doesn't come to pass. Although I have grown older, I've little interest in a world solely filled with gaming companies trying to see who can be the scummiest, and would much rather go back to Pokemon and Zelda than having to pay half the game in DLC before it's even viable as a game. So I also hope a competitor would step forth to fill the balance if it ever looks to end up that way.

Reactions: phofufury
Knowing how hard it seems for startups I'd be hard pressed to see anyone reach them. Google tried but failed with their console. If you can't beat 'em then join them on the eShop. Also it's getting harder to find chips now to make certain hardware. They have the monetary resources to keep it going. That grassroots popularity is what makes them even stronger. Maybe China will have their own ideas on the matter and ship their own take but as of now I see if there is some competitor no matter the size people will always be skeptical of something new.

Reactions: phofufury
Back