Do you think piracy should be legal for 10 year old games?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
What's your opinion on this?

Should games that have crossed 10 years in age after its release be free to download legally and play?

Uh, no. There a lot of problems with this. Game collections would get devalued, game stores would be out of business. Games played on old consoles (which have never been preserved) would still be impossible to get and get to work because cartridges/anti-piracy. I think Marc is in for some sort of lawless society. Remakes would be devalued. Downloading games that weren't made for kids on accident.

While you can do that with pirating and making emulators there would still be a controller issue in some cases.

I mean if you were a political figure Marc that would concern me. How would you treat people who used money to get their games? How would you bring old seasons of Fortnite back to those who didn't play it? Where is my free stuff Marc? WHERE IS IT?

• Funny
Reactions: Marc
N+O=NO. Piracy is always gonna be a thing. It's not like anyone will stop because it's illegal. But making it legal is disrespectful to the creator.

If piracy is ok 10 years after a games release, its like saying that the hard work put into the game doesnt really matter any more and that the game doesnt belong to the owner anymore. It would really be crappy for game developers.

And if it became legal, the whole gaming industry would change. People would just wait 10 years to get the game for free and companies would slowly go out of business and then.... NO MORE NINTENDO! LOOK WHAT YOU CAUSED MARC!

We now know that marc is trying to put nintendo out of business. Does anyone have doug bowser's phone number?

• Funny
Reactions: Marc

Should games that have crossed 10 years in age after its release be free to download legally and play?
NO. It should be more than that. Kind of like the copyright laws for music.
(>After writing music or lyrics, a composer or songwriter can register a copyright that will protect this intellectual property. The copyright remains in effect for 70 years after the death of the artist. When a copyright lists more than one creating artist, the protection lasts for 70 years from the date of death of the last surviving person.)

but it should be less years because video games is not equal to music. Tons of people can be involved in the creation process, so I would say.... idk 18 years after death? So it can be preserved. Maybe have the files for the game be mandatory to be put up on a website or an archive or something. Could be less years, but 10 to 20 years after death of the everyone involved(?) or maybe just the dev team idk.

Or like 15 years after distribution stops. That sounds reasonable so that the people who released the game gets 15 years to do a re-release.

if the game isnt avaliable legally anymore,then why anyone should care if that game is piraced (second hand doesnt count and is overpriced and the company who did the game doesnt get any benefit from second-han sales)

for example:
i dont think anyone can legally get brigandine grand edition for the ps1 anymore
or ribbit king and gotcha force for the gamecube ¿does even anyone here know those games? those are hiddem gems but im sure no one can get them legally

and no one is gonna wait 10 freaking years to play a game they can play now

Reactions: Jisenku and 28142
Abandonware is techincally legally grey. If the game isn't avalible for purchase or official download anywhere then the only way to get it would be to pirate it.

Game archiving is a very important thing. I help with wii and game cube archiving, thousands of games has been lost to time and probably never will be remastered/modernised. The vast majority for retro/legacy systems where games aren't produced for them anymore and for the case of digital only especially, once those download servers are gone, so's that game.

Remasters are... kind of stupid tbh. And, even in the case of super mario 3d all stars, it's not the original game (At least for 64, the others still aren't original but might be closer, rip gay bowser).

Even on PC this can still happen. There's a ton of older games that get pulled by the publisher/developer or just where physical only, not produced anymore and is lost to time. American McGee's Alice for example was a game that I was desperatly trying to find a place to buy, but it just didn't exist anywhere anymore (thanks EA), so that was classed as abandonware. Recently though it seems like the game was added as a "bonus" into Alice madness returns, but even then, it's not the game itself, it's just a game within the game.

Some old games have even gone open source, take a look at this for example: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA For the remaster of C&C, they released the source code for the old engine along with the code for Command & Conquer: Red Alert/Tiberian Dawn and Dune 2000. These where expensive games back in the day, and they still had a cult classic following but you couldn't really buy them anywhere. So, what did EA do? Remaster them but also release them for free.

It'd be nice for abandonware to not be so grey, but a hard "10 years" line is a bit stupid tbh. That just wouldn't work. The reason to why abandonware is so grey is because there's not really any way to properly define abandonware.

Reactions: FuredeRika
another thing to have in mind its when the developer directly refuses to make a game avaliable when its possible to do so
for example, the kingdom hearts collections, im sure the switch can run ps2 , psp , a 3ds games with HD and two "movies" but square enix says "sorry technical limitations hehehe sorry"

then they make a musical game with the cutscenes with kh 3 style graphics and the rest of the game has graphics more similar to the other games
but they cannot bring at least the collection to the switch?, sorry square enix, i dont believe you ,you refuse to make the games avaliable to switch users, dont be surprised if i pirate the original versions,not everyone has the money to get multiple consoles,

so since i dont have the money to get another console ,for them the result is the same,it doesnt matter if i pirate those games or not,while i will buy the musical game because i love kingdom hearts music, a copy of the collections will not be purchased because square refuses to make it easily accesible to me

Last edited:
I believe while piracy is a horrible thing to do, no matter what system you are using, it is sometimes the only way to get the game. I believe that certain games should have Open Source versions, or have versions that can be downloaded whenever.

Game archiving is a very important thing. I help with wii and game cube archiving, thousands of games has been lost to time and probably never will be remastered/modernised. The vast majority for retro/legacy systems where games aren't produced for them anymore and for the case of digital only especially, once those download servers are gone, so's that game.

@Sky If you want a ROM of Grill-Off with Ultra Hand, I have a legally downloaded copy from Club Nintendo that is still on my Wii. Got it many years ago, and god it is such a weird game, but also really fun.

one thing i would like to add is that there are times where piracy has benefits for sales
lets put a example. brigandine, grand edition por de the ps1 ,it was only released in japan and its was fan-translated,obviusly i didnt know it existed back when it was released and today can only be got via piracy

it was a very unique SRPG ,you can select any faction in the game, the game is entirely non lineal(except the final battles) and the enemies,excluding final bosses, play with the same rules as you(meaning, they get experience the same way as you and will try to recruit characters before you can do so)

some years after i played it a game gets announced, brigandine: legend of runersia, i was so hyped that there was a new brigandine game after so much time

there were many others like me, that only knew about the original when it was too late to get it legally and were only able to play it via piracy

brigandine: legend of runersia gets released, and after some days, the developers say they were pleasantly surprised with the sales in the west
im sure its because many of the buyers in the west pirated the original, loved it and they gave their support to the developers when they made a new game to guarantee the future of the series

one thing i would like to add is that there are times where piracy has benefits for sales
lets put a example. brigandine, grand edition por de the ps1 ,it was only released in japan and its was fan-translated,obviusly i didnt know it existed back when it was released and today can only be got via piracy

it was a very unique SRPG ,you can select any faction in the game, the game is entirely non lineal(except the final battles) and the enemies,excluding final bosses, play with the same rules as you(meaning, they get experience the same way as you and will try to recruit characters before you can do so)

some years after i played it a game gets announced, brigandine: legend of runersia, i was so hyped that there was a new brigandine game after so much time

there were many others like me, that only knew about the original when it was too late to get it legally and were only able to play it via piracy

brigandine: legend of runersia gets released, and after some days, the developers say they were pleasantly surprised with the sales in the west
im sure its because many of the buyers in the west pirated the original, loved it and they gave their support to the developers when they made a new game to guarantee the future of the series
Not gonna lie, that's how I played the Project Diva series on the PSP that was exclusive to Japan, I really fell in love with it once I played it on there, and now I'm still singing ~This is the Happiness & Peace of Mind Committee~

hai haaaaaai

I do wish that older games had more international releases, Miku had had so many birthdays, and the PSP series is still exclusive to Japan (At least we got Project Diva on the PS4 that spanned basically the entire series)

wat bout Minecraft? thats more than 10 years ago, and GTA V, those 2 r like top sellings still to date! imagine if u made those games, would be cool to lose money just cuz its a decade old? i think its unfair, especially all the work u put into it and still puting into it.

wat bout Minecraft? thats more than 10 years ago, and GTA V, those 2 r like top sellings still to date! imagine if u made those games, would be cool to lose money just cuz its a decade old? i think its unfair, especially all the work u put into it and still puting into it.
I think this discussion was meant to talk about games that are older, and haven't received any updates. Of course, in situations like this where the game is still receiving updates, that's fine. BUT, I do believe that older updates such as the first versions of Minecraft should be available for free directly from the company, but newer versions that are <10 years old shouldn't be given for free.

Reactions: phofufury

If the game didn't sell well and has no chance of getting rereleased or remade, yes. Otherwise, yeah no.

Like others have said here, something like this should be in place when the game is no longer legally accessible (not including 2nd hand)

But even better would be if game companies kept like a library of all their old / abandoned / unsupported game roms that you could maybe purchase access to download like a subscription or something , so the companies are still making some profit out of them because people would pay for that. And then make an official emulator for each console.

10 years seems way too soon, should be at least 15-20

Back