Do you think rated M games should be censored?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I read a post from someone pointing out how DMC 5, a rated M for mature game, was censored in a particular scene. Of course, if it's like that, the whole game might be censored in North America.

I think Japan gets away with it - looks at Fire Emblem Awakening's Japan copy -

Do you think games that are rated M and up should be censored?

Kids aren't supposed to play these games but they do find a way lol.

Reactions: Samster
Nope, they shouldn't be.

Japan is less censored in the more sexual regard due to their culture and just how they are over there (just look at anime for example), blood and gore also falls under that pretty much.

Films aren't censored, so why the hell should games? If you buy an M rated game, you're gonna expect an M rated game, you know what you've gotten.

Kids are dumb, and really shouldn't influence choices like this. For that, parents just need to act like parents and know what their kids are playing. My parents did it well where they took note of the games I was playing, took an interest and learned about the games. They knew that I've always had the mentality that games are games and they're not real, and the sensibility to know not to repeat things IRL that I've done in game. So cause of that, I had mostly free reign of whatever I wanted to play regradless of te age rating. I was playing GTAV when I was 14/15, but my parents where fine since I was playing the game for the cars, heists and that kinda stuff, and not the more... adult parts.

Parents just need to be parents. And people just need to grow up. If you're mature enough then so what about whatever made that game M rated.

M doesn't really have an equvilent in the UK, IIRC M = 17+, we just have 16 and then 18, but we just kinda take M rated as 18 most of the time. My point still stands though. There's 0 reason for an M/18 rated game to be censored imo.

Reactions: Mikaya, Samster and Marc
no, parents should be the ones to get infromed of the games theirs sons want, its their fault if "their litte angels get traumatized because their didnt cared to know a bit about the game"

My parents did it well where they took note of the games I was playing, took an interest and learned about the games. They knew that I've always had the mentality that games are games and they're not real, and the sensibility to know not to repeat things IRL that I've done in game. So cause of that, I had mostly free reign of whatever I wanted to play regradless of te age rating. I was playing GTAV when I was 14/15, but my parents where fine since I was playing the game for the cars, heists and that kinda stuff, and not the more... adult parts.
that is different, normally people 14/15 years old already know what is good and what is bad, and im sure there is no way they wouldnt know what "other things" a M rated game could have

also is kinda weird how much a movie has to have more explicit content to have a rating of +18 while in games the rating gets higher for much less

Reactions: Mikaya and 28142
Absolutely not. There’s a reason it’s rated M, and it’s to warn little kids and to keep them away from that kinda stuff. If they still find a way to play it, then that’s on them, not the game creators. Everything in life is too censored nowadays anyway.

Look, nothing against younger children out there, but most of the time, they’re pretty dumb. They can’t take a hint if something’s bad, and if you try to tell them to stay away, that makes them want to do it even more than before. Games like GTA and RDR2 aren’t meant for kids, they’re designed for adults and/or people with enough maturity to handle it (hence the name “Mature”).

How is it fair to censor something that everyone else who can take the heat loves, just because of some little bugger who couldn’t keep to himself? The answer is simple: it’s not fair. :redpanda:

Reactions: 28142
Yea I'd say no (you should add a poll!), a game should be true to itself and include anything the devs intended it to have. Buttt...

Sometimes games are censored to avoid a possible outrage or to just market a game to a larger audience (the lower the rating, the more likely the game can be enjoyed by a larger audience). Sometimes marketing teams, take a finish product by the devs and change it, after all sales help game devs keep their job. So it can be a little less cut and dry for censoring.

Usually I'm ok with censorship only when there is a way to play the original uncensored version is some way. I feel like this doesn't happen often, so I'll reiterate it to say no, don't censor rated M (or equivalent) games.

Reactions: 28142
No. Frankly, parents should just google the name of the game your kid wants and figure out whether it's age appropriate for them. M/18+ games are aimed at adults, it's not the developers' faults some people are irresponsible enough to buy their kids those games.

Kids are dumb, and really shouldn't influence choices like this. For that, parents just need to act like parents and know what their kids are playing.

Sometimes games are censored to avoid a possible outrage or to just market a game to a larger audience (the lower the rating, the more likely the game can be enjoyed by a larger audience). Sometimes marketing teams, take a finish product by the devs and change it, after all sales help game devs keep their job. So it can be a little less cut and dry for censoring.
Frankly, parents should just google the name of the game your kid wants and figure out whether it's age appropriate for them. M/18+ games are aimed at adults, it's not the developers' faults some people are irresponsible enough to buy their kids those games.

Nope. Not at all. Censorship is inherently evil, it is to be detested, and if a game is rated M already (which I assume would be the equivalent of 16/18 over here) then it definitely shouldn't be censored. You've already pretty much told your audience that this isn't going to be a kid's game. Unless it's something that breaks policy or the law itself, keep it in, some risque imagery isn't going to turn people into demented perverts.

And if kids are going to play the game anyway, then that's likely because of bad parenting. Not every game needs to be sunshine and rainbows simply because some irresponsible parent or infuriated journalist don't like the idea of games having a little blood in them. Games can be risque, games can be violent, it's all freedom of expression and if anyone wants to obstruct that, then they are the enemy. Let me have blood in my violent games, please!

Let's say the game was 18+. It had a way to gamble with your credit card number on file with actual live people. It had nudity on the level of no one's knowing what type of fetishes could ensue. Gender bender surgeon simulator as an arcade game. Some sort content that sees the media being accepting of all this. Some sort of dystopian game in the far future could end up like this. Would you then say I want this game brought to a broader audience and lower that rating only to then cause more civil upbringing. I know standards and culture hasn't gone to where the deep web is just commonplace by everyone in everyday life but what would it take for someone to say yes. I want my Adult game to be censored. I want my parents/kids to play this game not how I played it.

Just give the option and everyone will be happy.

Usually I'm ok with censorship only when there is a way to play the original uncensored version is some way. I feel like this doesn't happen often, so I'll reiterate it to say no, don't censor rated M (or equivalent) games.
if im not mistaken some games have "censoring options" that means, the player can choose to not see any blood at any moment or skip any sex scenes automatically
those things are okay, giving players the choice just benefits the people that dont like extreme violence, or dont want to see the sex scenes ,while letting the others enjoy the game as it was made

Reactions: Duffy
Let's say the game was 18+. It had a way to gamble with your credit card number on file with actual live people. It had nudity on the level of no one's knowing what type of fetishes could ensue. Gender bender surgeon simulator as an arcade game. Some sort content that sees the media being accepting of all this. Some sort of dystopian game in the far future could end up like this. Would you then say I want this game brought to a broader audience and lower that rating only to then cause more civil upbringing. I know standards and culture hasn't gone to where the deep web is just commonplace by everyone in everyday life but what would it take for someone to say yes. I want my Adult game to be censored. I want my parents/kids to play this game not how I played it.

Just give the option and everyone will be happy.

if im not mistaken some games have "censoring options" that means, the player can choose to not see any blood at any moment or skip any sex scenes automatically
those things are okay, giving players the choice just benefits the people that dont like extreme violence, or dont want to see the sex scenes ,while letting the others enjoy the game as it was made

As of now, the main issue is that people don't see up to the fact there can be censorship options, parental controls of a sort. All they see is that there's blood and children are going to see it. But even if there are censorship options, they can only be activated if the player wishes them to be, because they're - as the word suggests - only optional.

It would be nice to have a version of Diablo for kids to play without having to worry about their necromancer blowing up corpses. However, the media would only see there's blood in the game and that's all they would need to demand removing blood from the game entirely. Children can still blow up corpses if they wanted to. Switch the option over, it'd be right there in the pause menu or wherever else, then Diablo's back to how it was originally.

There could be parental controls, this is the most we could do to have optional censorship, but would it not be pedantic to enforce? Consoles have parental systems, but individual games? They'll be played through once and forgotten about most of the time. It's pedantic to enforce so unless there's a way, I think it's better to forget about this idea.

Ultimately, perhaps it would be okay to have kid-friendly versions of M rated games, but it's not a priority for me. Give me all the blood and gore first and foremost. It's an M rated game, don't go through all these hoops simply so the game is accessible for little Timmy as well, don't waste time if it's time that's going to be wasted. They'll still complain it's only optional even if censorship features were introduced.

Reactions: Duffy
As of now, the main issue is that people don't see up to the fact there can be censorship options, parental controls of a sort. All they see is that there's blood and children are going to see it. But even if there are censorship options, they can only be activated if the player wishes them to be, because they're - as the word suggests - only optional.

It would be nice to have a version of Diablo for kids to play without having to worry about their necromancer blowing up corpses. However, the media would only see there's blood in the game and that's all they would need to demand removing blood from the game entirely. Children can still blow up corpses if they wanted to. Switch the option over, it'd be right there in the pause menu or wherever else, then Diablo's back to how it was originally.

There could be parental controls, this is the most we could do to have optional censorship, but would it not be pedantic to enforce? Consoles have parental systems, but individual games? They'll be played through once and forgotten about most of the time. It's pedantic to enforce so unless there's a way, I think it's better to forget about this idea.

Ultimately, perhaps it would be okay to have kid-friendly versions of M rated games, but it's not a priority for me. Give me all the blood and gore first and foremost. It's an M rated game, don't go through all these hoops simply so the game is accessible for little Timmy as well, don't waste time if it's time that's going to be wasted. They'll still complain it's only optional even if censorship features were introduced.
well,my argument wasnt about children, i dont think mortal kombat would suddenly become child friendly just because someone decides to introduce "opcional censorship" but adults who simply think gore is disgusting (for me there is a point where its too much) would enjoy it more by having the option to not see any gore at all

well,my argument wasnt about children, i dont think mortal kombat would suddenly become child friendly just because someone decides to introduce "opcional censorship" but adults who simply think gore is disgusting (for me there is a point where its too much) would enjoy it more by having the option to not see any gore at all

Suppose that makes sense, and a lot of games I've played seem to have this option, such as Diablo III and Lovecraft's Untold Stories. I'm sure there are quite a few more as well - I don't often play graphically violent games, surprisingly.

Suppose it would be nice if more games had settings like that, but for the most part, maybe they don't. Not that I would know. A setting to remove blood and gore wouldn't be too difficult to implement to my knowledge, as it's often kind of like a sprite and programming-wise it should be very easy to simply remove those variables (or whatever they're called) from the code when the option is toggled. Much like a language setting, for instance.

Back