SSBM Do you think Super Smash Bros. Melee is better than Brawl or SSB4?

• Thread starter Kilager25
  • Start date
K

Kilager25

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
My friend like Melee better than Smash 4- he kinda likes Brawl a bit better. I respect what he thinks, because I think Melee is a bit better than SMB4. It seems faster, easier, and while it may lack Amiibo's, it is a game you can get used to easier, I think.

I think it depends on your play style. Brawl was made with the intentions of making the game easier for newcomers, which is why it's slowed down. Melee was made to be highly techincally and advanced, which is why it's not as good of a starting point. Personally, I think SSB4 is the best, as it tries to have a balance between the two, resulting in a game that's both great for newcomers while still being fun for pro players. Plus, they can patch the game with SSB4, which means there's no extremely OP character like MetaKnight in brawl

Reactions: Ilosteyes
Too fast for me when I played it once lol
I prefer ssb4

I prefer SSB4, but I think it's depends the way you like to play.

Melee was made to be highly techincally and advanced, which is why it's not as good of a starting point.
Haha ! I think they just coded it very fast without testing anything so they let a lot of funny things in it, but it was not their goal to have a game that lets that much options for advanced players :p

And I prefer none of both (notice that I don't even consider Brawl) -.-

I like the gameplay of Melee better but it is lacking a lot of features a game should have nowadays, like online play (yeah, you can kind of do this with Dolphin but it's not the same as a built-in feature). And it's AI is really stupid.
SSB4 on the other hand has a restrained gameplay but an interesting AI and online play (among other things).

So yeah, I still play both games :p
One is far better gameplay-wise, the other one is far better feature-wise.

Now Brawl... It has a very annoying AI, that was a good point. But in fact that was the only good point. Seriously, who got the idea of adding tripping ? It's like "Hey you want to play a game ? Let's see if you're good or not. Nah, JK, forget about it, just fall for no reason". All other Smash games have an option to disable random but not Brawl.

I think Melee was better than Brawl, but I don't think it's better than 4. SSB4 kind of reverts back to the gameplay mechanics that Melee had, so it basically combined the two games. Plus, it even more so combines the two by adding Mewtwo back in, a roster cut that was felt around the world. xD

SSB4 kind of reverts back to the gameplay mechanics that Melee had, so it basically combined the two games.
You are describing Project M here, not SSB4.
SSB4 basically kept Brawl mechanics, reverted the most stupid changes that were made during the Melee-Brawl transition (slow speed and tripping) and made other changes that I don't really agree with but that don't disturb me that much after all. But that's still not the same mechanics as in Melee.

Just have a look at aerial dodges. In Melee, they are directionnal and you are helpless after a dodge. In SSB4, it's the same as in Brawl, meaning you don't give any direction and you can do what you want after performing a dodge.

Same for edge grabbing. In Melee, you only grab an edge when you are facing it and falling while doing nothing. In Brawl and SSB4, you can grab an edge while going upwards and when not facing the edge. Plus, in SSB4, you can grab an edge when someone already grabbed it.

In Melee, you can dashdance. Try doing it with Falcon for example, you'll see how far you can go before going the other way without braking. In SSB4, you can dashdance yeah, but not far at all (and in Brawl, no one dashdances because of tripping).

All differences I mentionned are independant of the character you choose, so they are part of the gameplay mechanics, not just a specificity of a character.

I like smash 4 personally, but I understand why people like melee. It's easier to do smash tech, like shffling and danc dashing, and it's more fast paced, especially compared to brawl.. Brawl was a bunch of camping out

I like Super Smash Bros 4 better in terms of that it is new and has many cool new characters and mostly it is very very addicting . I can see why you liked Melee but still Super Smash Bros 4 will always be my best of best games and especially since it is for the 3ds , that means portable gaming , In fact though , I really liked both of them but still , new is new ;)

Brawl is my least favorite Smash game, behind even the original on N64.
Melee is my favorite technical game of the bunch, not my overall favorite because it feels dated to me (not competitively but in comparison to the likes of Brawl and Smash 4).
N64 is my third favorite game in the series, being both technical and competitive OR fast paced and casually fun.
Smash 4 would count as my favorite in the series by Sakurai but with Project M existing, I cannot say that it is; most people give flak for liking a mod over the vanilla Smash games, dunno why but they do. Smash 4 is a good game, nodoubt but being MUCH more technical, fast paced, having an arguably similar amount of content and just simply being a fun mod makes me love Project M more than any game in the Smash series.

But yeah, Smash 4 is cool but Melee is better for competitive play in my opinion if that's what you're getting at.

Reactions: Hayleia
I think SSB4 is more better since it has more characters and there are more innovative idea's. I love the cast of new characters and the new stages. Best thing of all it's on a handheld!:D

Personally I think that Melee was the breaking point (or the best iteration) of the SSB franchise. I mean that after the first one, Melee improved everything wrong with the N64 version, and due to less hardware restrictions they made it even better. Such as more characters and more items and more places to fight. Even the character models have been given a 1-up, it looks so much better, and then they fixed the gameplay. The gameplay in Melee was amazing and that formula was used in the next games to come. The gameplay was faster, smoother and better, less lag and a better way of controlling characters as there were more buttons. And it didn't use the N64's uncomfortable controller which made it difficult to control any character....

Its really depends on your game style like if you like hand to hand or melee weapons then go for ssb melee or brawl which ever you like better but if you like all kind of fighting go for ssb4

Back