Do you think that SSB4 will have "mods" ?

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Hello everybody,

Just to know your opinions about it.

To those who didn't know, SSBB did have modifications, it means that custom stages/musics/characters/items could be added to the game, without overwriting the disk's data. It was simply stored on the SD, and loaded when launching the game. To get back the original SSBB, you simply needed to move the mod, or delete it

(Stage Builder-made stages don't count as a mod.)

An example of a modification for SSBB was the famous Project M, who added custom characters and stages (didn't tried it though).

So, do you think that SSB4 (3DS/WiiU) will have modifications who can be loaded through the SD Card?

I know the Wii U won't, since the Wii U don't use the SD cards. The SD card slot was added for the Wii mode.

I know the Wii U won't, since the Wii U don't use the SD cards. The SD card slot was added for the Wii mode.

So, the 3DS will probably have it, then ? (Sorry, didn't know that the WiiU had no SD Slot, I don't have one :( )

I don't think it will. Although it was a neat idea having extra content. But who knows? xD

made the game more fun to play too.

The Wii U has an SD card slot, but it can only be used in Wii mode.

I don't think it will. Although it was a neat idea having extra content. But who knows? xD

made the game more fun to play too.
Well, I just found a website hosting mods for SSBB, and a lot of them looks quiet funny. Also, custom characters having their own attacks is neat too.

Hello everybody,

Just to know your opinions about it.

To those who didn't know, SSBB did have modifications, it means that custom stages/musics/characters/items could be added to the game, without overwriting the disk's data. It was simply stored on the SD, and loaded when launching the game. To get back the original SSBB, you simply needed to move the mod, or delete it

(Stage Builder-made stages don't count as a mod.)

An example of a modification for SSBB was the famous Project M, who added custom characters and stages (didn't tried it though).

So, do you think that SSB4 (3DS/WiiU) will have modifications who can be loaded through the SD Card?
First of all, Project M only has all the existing characters from the other Smash games so it plays more like Melee (hence the M) but it does have modded things like a Castlevania stage. If there is mods for the upcoming games then it would be because it's not as good as Melee or something doesn't seem balanced or fair (can't spam Mach Tornado and Pit's side B was changed in Project M ). I could see it but this would be years after I bet. The 3DS version would be easier to mod than the Wii U one but it depends on if the games have some sort of mod protection (idk). And the ability to edit moves in the upcoming games must've been inspired by modding of Brawl.

First of all, Project M only has all the existing characters from the other Smash games so it plays more like Melee (hence the M) but it does have modded things like a Castlevania stage. If there is mods for the upcoming games then it would be because it's not as good as Melee or something doesn't seem balanced or fair (can't spam Mach Tornado and Pit's side B was changed in Project M ). I could see it but this would be years after I bet. The 3DS version would be easier to mod than the Wii U one but it depends on if the games have some sort of mod protection (idk). And the ability to edit moves in the upcoming games must've been inspired by modding of Brawl.

Yes, sorry, I haven't tried Project M, so... I can't really tell for that one :sorry:.
But, yes, that would be great to be able to play with characters from others games on the 3DS Version if somebody fins a way to mod it. Who wouldn't want to play with a character who didn't made it in the game's roster ?
Also, did I mention that custom characters have custom hitboxes (don't worry, a lot of them are balanced) ?

Same, I don't think the modification (customization) feature would be showcased as much, I think in the other iterations in the Super Smash Bros. series they'll perfect, so I don't expect too much in this game for the customization!

I don't know much about the Wii U, but as I read (in this thread) the Wii U doesn't have much use for an SD card, I guess it'll be saved on a flashdrive/portable drive, not sure, so I can't say too much for the Wii U version, I think the customization feature, will be done incorporated better on the Wii U SSB.

Well it isnt really possible yet to load homebrew trough SD card on 3DS. However.. We have some flashcarts, which could possibly run homebrew. So not possible with a legit copy of the game, altough it definitely will come. But don't expect it close to release. I hope it comes so everyone can be happy.

Well it isnt really possible yet to load homebrew trough SD card on 3DS. However.. We have some flashcarts, which could possibly run homebrew. So not possible with a legit copy of the game, altough it definitely will come. But don't expect it close to release. I hope it comes so everyone can be happy.

It is possible to run homebrew from the SD. I remember having seen around a thread saying that there was a glitch in the kernel allowing unsigned code, meaning homebrews. And I'd prefer to stay away from these flashcarts.
But yeah, mods would be a nice addition.

As long as it's offical.

As long as it's offical.
Mods are generally not made by Nintendo, but by fans.
It's like the mods you can find for Minecraft, for instance. They are made by fans, but they aren't official, or approved by the publisher/developer.

I don't think it will, I doubt they will let us bring in different characters,etc.

I don't think it will, I doubt they will let us bring in different characters,etc.

However, that's what happened with Brawl. You could add musics, characters, stages and items through a cheat code that loaded the files located on the SD Card.

I really doubt they will release such a feature on the 3DS. The 3DS is already in lockdown mode as is because of hackers, and there's no way Nintendo will let custom data be loaded from a disk onto the 3DS since that is just an exploit waiting to be blown right open. I don't think that the 3DS will have an extensive stage builder (if it even has it in the first place). Maybe some blocks and a couple of NPCs but that's pretty much it.

I really doubt they will release such a feature on the 3DS. The 3DS is already in lockdown mode as is because of hackers, and there's no way Nintendo will let custom data be loaded from a disk onto the 3DS since that is just an exploit waiting to be blown right open. I don't think that the 3DS will have an extensive stage builder (if it even has it in the first place). Maybe some blocks and a couple of NPCs but that's pretty much it.

Except that there was two ways to inject the data on the Wii: through an exploit, or through cheats.
So, even if the 3DS is a console that you don't modify that easily (Such layers of NAND Protection, Much encryption. Wow!), there will be (and I doubt that it can be avoided anyway) a day where there will probably mods in my opinion.

I guess it's possible, although I think it will take a couple years at best to find a way to mod the game. This assumes that Nintendo won't support cheats or any mods, and that individual hackers will be the ones to find a way to load the cheats into the game.

Back