Do you think the Nintendo Labo is a ripoff?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I mean, it's just fancy cardboard from Nintendo that does cool stuffz.

Well, you get software to utilize it too I believe. Some people totally ignored that part, thinking Nintendo is trying to sell us overpriced cardboard >.> but I guess the software might not catch a lot of old peeps' attention.
Polygon said:
The price of the Variety Kit is roughly $10 more than a full Nintendo Switch game, but at $69.99, it's still a nice price.
Anyhoo, from what you do know so far or used, do you think Nintendo Labo is a ripoff?

Nope. You mostly pay for the game, since Nintendo lets you easily print out parts. A lot of content and secrets are in the labo so it will keep you busy for a while. I personally love building so i may be biased towards it.

Reactions: Marc
For once I thought 'ripping off' as if Labo stealing other ideas, which I don't think they would do :p

On serious side, I don't think Nintendo Labo is a ripoff because it can function as a Switch game/add-on, and it contains the game software that has the manual on how to build them. But still, I find Labo to be too expensive for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dowhat?
Factor in the garage and value increases for older people very quick. Younger audiences would probably be satisfied with just the buildings they get and play with them, but you can make your own creations with the garage.

It's not a rip off , but you need to have the right frame of mind for things like this. This is more of a creative tool rather than a game, sure it contain things that can be played as games but that's not the main focus. Now there's nothing wrong if the games are your personal main focus, but you are easily cutting Labo's potential down if you do. I already seen so many creative things that were made from Labo and I hope this idea expands. As a non creative type person I love what Labo can do.

Also everyone loves to poke fun at paying $70 for cardboard, but we pay for convenience for things all the time . We should be lucky they actually included an easy to punch out set with all the pieces rather than us making them ourselves with no outlines. lol $70 can be very hard to pay, but Labo is one of those items where the more you use it the more you will get out of it.

It's an absolute rip off and no one should buy it. A bunch of cardboard pieces and some software isn't worth the cost they are chagrining. 70 bucks can buy a little kid a ton of games on a phone or a full blown video game which is much better compared to the CrapLabo.

It's an absolute rip off and no one should buy it. A bunch of cardboard pieces and some software isn't worth the cost they are chagrining. 70 bucks can buy a little kid a ton of games on a phone or a full blown video game which is much better compared to the CrapLabo.
So if you ever see a kid playing with labo your gonna think "No that kid shouldn't be having fun building that or pretending he's a robot! His parents could have used that 70$ on buying him phone apps so he plays on his phone all day instead of labo." Although I'd never use or have much fun with labo I also recognize that other people do love building hings and labo is perfect for them.

I don't think labo is a ripoff because everything is only worth the price its purchaser will pay. No one is forcing anyone to buy labo so everyone who does buy it is proving it is not a ripoff.

I also recognize that other people do love building hings and labo is perfect for them.
It's worth noting that there are some people (kids/children in particular, since they're obviously a target market) who are simply put, reckless with things and would probably end up destroying the fancy cardboard or rendering them useless in a matter of short time.

Me, personally, I would rather spend money for the Labo on other things :panda:

Reactions: Duffy
So if you ever see a kid playing with labo your gonna think "No that kid shouldn't be having fun building that or pretending he's a robot! His parents could have used that 70$ on buying him phone apps so he plays on his phone all day instead of labo." Although I'd never use or have much fun with labo I also recognize that other people do love building hings and labo is perfect for them.

I don't think labo is a ripoff because everything is only worth the price its purchaser will pay. No one is forcing anyone to buy labo so everyone who does buy it is proving it is not a ripoff.
When you consider that it's just pieces of cardboard and some basic software I'm sorry but that's inherently a rip off. If people choose to buy that product power to them but the novelty would certainly get boring rather quickly. Making the actual cardboard designs don't take very long and their functionality can easily be translated to some super cheap (and better) toys. I wouldn't call Nintendo out if it was 20 bucks but 70 dollars is ridiculous.

9 people can pay 9000 dollars for a gold toothbrush but that doesn't prove that it's somehow worth it for others.

When you consider that it's just pieces of cardboard and some basic software I'm sorry but that's inherently a rip off. If people choose to buy that product power to them but the novelty would certainly get boring rather quickly. Making the actual cardboard designs don't take very long and their functionality can easily be translated to some super cheap (and better) toys. I wouldn't call Nintendo out if it was 20 bucks but 70 dollars is ridiculous.

9 people can pay 9000 dollars for a gold toothbrush but that doesn't prove that it's somehow worth it for others.
I got to disagree. Softwore is expensive to make (new games are only 10$ cheaper) and there’s a lot of programming functionality that goes into it (toy con garage, etc.). If it were 20$ it would probably not be worth making.

I got to disagree. Softwore is expensive to make (new games are only 10$ cheaper) and there’s a lot of programming functionality that goes into it (toy con garage, etc.). If it were 20$ it would probably not be worth making.
by “probably not worth making” you mean “nobody would ever do that for so cheap”
The cardboard itself probably costs around 4$ at least considering how apparently people are saying that Nintendo’s cardboard is thicker than regular cardboard. The software itself is definitely not worth just twenty dollars. Think about 1,2 switch, (though it’s debatable wether it’s overpriced) it shows off the 3d rumble, advanced motion controls and many different playstyles that can be used with the joycon. Labo goes deeper by using the 3d rumble make something in the real world react, and by using the infared camera to have the game react to something in the real world. Then, once you learn how these things work, it doesn’t stop there. It doesn’t just give you a few minigames to try 3d rumble out and let you think, “3d rumble is pretty cool” and be done with it. It lets you think, “thats pretty cool, now what can i create with that?”

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior
by “probably not worth making” you mean “nobody would ever do that for so cheap”
The cardboard itself probably costs around 4$ at least considering how apparently people are saying that Nintendo’s cardboard is thicker than regular cardboard. The software itself is definitely not worth just twenty dollars. Think about 1,2 switch, (though it’s debatable wether it’s overpriced) it shows off the 3d rumble, advanced motion controls and many different playstyles that can be used with the joycon. Labo goes deeper by using the 3d rumble make something in the real world react, and by using the infared camera to have the game react to something in the real world. Then, once you learn how these things work, it doesn’t stop there. It doesn’t just give you a few minigames to try 3d rumble out and let you think, “3d rumble is pretty cool” and be done with it. It lets you think, “thats pretty cool, now what can i create with that?”
I guess I mean both. Nintendo would never do it for that cheap too. But also can you imagine the shipping costs for cardboard boxes that big? at a 20$ price point, they probably won't turn a solid profit at all.

I guess I mean both. Nintendo would never do it for that cheap too. But also can you imagine the shipping costs for cardboard boxes that big? at a 20$ price point, they probably won't turn a solid profit at all.
Shipping costs, especially in bulk isn't that expensive. The product weight isn't much either, and the argument that Nintendo can charge 70 dollars due shipping is not a good argument.

Not all software costs that much to implement, and considering Nintendo's super basic programming and pieces of cardboard 70 dollars is absolutely unjustified and I bet even 20 bucks would turn some profit (perhaps 30 to be fair).

I guarantee you these prices will dramatically fall down in a couple of months once people realize how stupid the pricing is and stop buying into a stupid concept that gets boring after a few hours at most.

Reactions: Duffy
Shipping costs, especially in bulk isn't that expensive. The product weight isn't much either, and the argument that Nintendo can charge 70 dollars due shipping is not a good argument.

Not all software costs that much to implement, and considering Nintendo's super basic programming and pieces of cardboard 70 dollars is absolutely unjustified and I bet even 20 bucks would turn some profit (perhaps 30 to be fair).

I guarantee you these prices will dramatically fall down in a couple of months once people realize how stupid the pricing is and stop buying into a stupid concept that gets boring after a few hours at most.
Sure, the price will fall on the secondary market like most games. But I still contend shipping from manufacturing to different continents, and then from distribution centers to retailers, and some retailers to consumers, ... might not be profitable at that price point. Even so it sold alright at the current price point. Maybe a price drop is incoming and they will sell better? Who knows.

Don’t get it wet! :)

Reactions: 2071
Right now I don't think so, even though they have a super high profit margin, it's really the only thing that's there to give the experience of ex)fishing in a video game so easily and they came up with the idea so I think its fair to keep prices as it is for now, and good profit strategy. If they don't decrease prices in say, a year from now, they won't make anywhere near this much because the whole thing is gimmicky and people will start to realize they're paying too much for something they use a lot for a week or two then drop

I wouldn’t buy it but I could see the appeals to some people. It just not my type of game/thing. Does anyone know if you can replicate the cardboard part yourself?

I wouldn’t buy it but I could see the appeals to some people. It just not my type of game/thing. Does anyone know if you can replicate the cardboard part yourself?
the cardboard that comes with the game? I think it might be possible, though very challenging. It would also be very hard to get the game without buying the cardboard with it, and people probably wouldn’t put too much of a discount on it for not including the cardboard anyway. It is also not legal to sell the cartridge by itself, but it will probably still be done.

I won't buy it. It simply doesn't interest me. But I can see other people, who love playing with tactile things, enjoying this a lot. It also is a reminder that Nintendo loves to innovate, and in a very trend-heavy industry like the video game industry (I mean look at the Zombie games of old and the Battle Royale games of now) innovation is nice to see, even if it doesn't please everybody. Having the will to try something different could translate over into something new that I really love in the future.

As for pricing, you're not just paying for the cardboard. There's real software there too, that uses a lot of Switch features. I feel that for the software and the cardboard, the price isn't that bad. It's only $10 more than a regular game, so I don't see a big issue.

Well you do literally rip cardboard off a sheet :)

Reactions: Marc
Back