Do you think the static price of $60 for AAA games will ever increase?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
$60 is the common price for home TV console AAA games. Steam/PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch all have AAA games with the static price of $60. I can't remember if it's always been 60 bucks or if there was a time it jumped.

The thought ran through my mind today.

Do you think this price will ever increase in the future? :redpanda:
Would you be OK with a price increase for such AAA games?

I have a handful of titles that have went up in price but mainly ones for the GCN. I think it's gonna be lower for a while until the console either dies out or if the game is like Smash it might never go on sale and also go up. It really doesn't make sense though as it is a recreational item so why would someone pay more if they don't need it sort of deal? I think the price is really just a reflection of how much does it take for the dev teams to make a living in respective to how big a fanbase is... if they weren't for profit. :(

NBA 2K21 on the Series X and PS5 will cost $69.99, so it’s apparently already going to happen in this next generation. Prices have been the same for a long time, so I guess it’s inevitable. I remember when games used to be $49.99 a few generations back.

A price increase still isn't gonna determine a game's value.
NBA 2K21 on the Series X and PS5 will cost $69.99
That's true, but considering that it's a yearly series, the price is gonna see a major drop. That won't happen with every game though.

$60 is the common price for home TV console AAA games. Steam/PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch all have AAA games with the static price of $60. I can't remember if it's always been 60 bucks or if there was a time it jumped.

The thought ran through my mind today.

Do you think this price will ever increase in the future? :redpanda:
Would you be OK with a price increase for such AAA games?
When I bought some N64 games, they're really in demand, I ended up not getting some games I wanted because of the price. I think, that most AAA games wouldn't go above $60, as it would reduce the demand for the games. Less demand equals less money.

Reactions: Deepak
I really hope that the price doesnt increase for AAA games. In my opinion $60 itself is a bit pricey. I really like the pricing for AAA games on the 3ds ($20-$40). I'm pretty sure that nintendo wont release any AAA games for the switch above 60 bucks but they probably will for the next console. You never know....

Reactions: Mizunil and Sunny_Meows
I really hope not, I understand why the prices go up and all that especially for new games, but for ports with only a few new features, I think its pretty pricey. In CAD prices AAA games are $79.99, essentially $90 with taxes. Its definitely been steadily increasing up to now, but essentially everything you buy has also increased in the past 10 years. It is what it is :coffee:

AAA games probably need to increase in price more so people actually realise they're overpaying for games. Indie games are priced much more resonably, they take into consideration game length, how much work went into the game and so many other factors to determine price. AAA studios just go "we a big company, charge full price." and it's incredibly unfair.

I mostly tend to stick with indie games myself because of this, better quality, much cheaper and just better all around tbh. I hardly play any AAA games anymore just because I either can't afford them or they're just not good. Nintendo first party games are literally the only exception to this.

Yes, of course it's going to go up. I remember back when games over here were around £35, now £50 is the average. Granted, I play more AAA games now, but the average price seems to have gone up regardless... I know for sure games weren't always this expensive. I would buy Skylanders starter packs for £60 back when I was into that and I remember for sure they were a lot more expensive than normal games.

It's definitely going to go up. In the same amount of time we went from £35 to £50, we'll be going up to £65. Games will keep getting more expensive as they become more high-end. A 2D platformer from two decades ago, though perhaps impressive for its time, wouldn't be able to stand against games like Witcher 3 in the modern day. They get more expensive as the graphics and gameplay improve. You can still find lower-end games on the eShop for cheaper, similar in both price and quality* to older games, if you still want that. Although they don't tend to get physical releases anymore as digital becomes more and more efficient for quickly getting across smaller games.

*Quality is subjective, I'm talking about average graphics/complexity here rather than comparing cult classics to some of the dumpster fires we're being given nowadays.

Reactions: Duffy
Back