Do you think the Wii U will die after NX releases?

• Thread starter Morgan643DS
  • Start date
Morgan643DS

Morgan643DS

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
Personally, I don't think it will completely (at least I hope it won't). In my opinion, I feel like a few of the games for NX will also be playable on Wii U and vice versa. Granted, I do believe there will also be NX exclusive games that you won't be able to play on the Wii U. What are your thoughts?

Doubt people would stop purchasing it. Production might end if not already and developers might put their focus more on the NX rather than the Wii U, but there will still be a lot of people playing games online for the popular games such as Smash/Splatoon/Pokken/MK8 and I don't see the online services ending anytime soon after the NX's release.

Reactions: Morgan643DS
It most likely will. Online play might last a while longer, but game, accessory and console production will likely cease.

They have to focus on the new console, after all. And I doubt it will be backwards compatible with Wii U; having another IBM PowerPC custom chip on it will cost a fortune >_> It's just not worth it.

As sad as it is the wii u is already with no new games and the online not being what it used to be I think everyone is just waiting for the nx

As sad as it is the wii u is already with no new games and the online not being what it used to be I think everyone is just waiting for the nx

Actually, the Wii U is still getting games, along with the Wii!

I don't think the Wii U will fully die, they'll still be people like me who still play on the Wii just because of the games. (I know the Wii U has backwards compatability but I prefer to play the games on my proper Wii instead.)

It depends on if the NX has backwards compatability for the Wii U considering it takes cartrages. If it doesn't then the Wii U will still be alive and kicking, it'll take years before the online functionality is taken away. (just look at the Wii)

Reactions: Morgan643DS and Marc
Nintendo did say that the NX isn't replacing the Wii U nor 3DS, which kinda infers that they're not planning on killing either of the consoles right away, despite everyone at this point thinking the NX will be a "hybrid" mixture of home and handheld. I'd say less games will hit the Wii U during 2017 and beyond, but it shouldn't lose support until 2018 or later.

Nintendo did say that the NX isn't replacing the Wii U nor 3DS, which kinda infers that they're not planning on killing either of the consoles right away, despite everyone at this point thinking the NX will be a "hybrid" mixture of home and handheld. I'd say less games will hit the Wii U during 2017 and beyond, but it shouldn't lose support until 2018 or later.
They also said the DS was gonna be a third-pillar along with the GCN and GBA. We all know how that turned out :wacky:

Reactions: Morgan643DS, Ethendor and 423
@SkyHuntress The Wii isn't getting new games! The last one the Wii got was Skylanders Super Chargers I think and it was the last one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the Wii U will die, way more quickly than the Wii, simply because it didn't sell much compared to the Wii. Many who had a Wii never got a Wii U.

Depending on what the NX has to offer, it will happen more or less quickly, but I'm pretty sure it will die =/

^Actually, the Wii is getting Just Dance 2017 :hilarious:

Dang! Thanks for the info!

I don't think the Wii U will die out just yet though I wonder if some NX releases will also be supported for the Wii u. If there is I need more splatoon in my life. :p

Dead... BOTW was the final send-off...

After Nintendo revealed that Breath of the Wild would be the last first party game for the WiiU, it seems incredibly likely that the WiiU will die in a pretty short order. With no new content, fans will begin to gravitate towards the Switch, which is already receiving multiple WiiU ports among other excellent games.

Back