Do you think the word "demons" should have been replaced with another word in SMT?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Let's face it. The word "demons" and "devil" (maybe devil isn't too bad since you can't really control him) might have affected some peoples' choices when they were considering to get the game or not. Atlus could have simply substituted those names for something else to make it more friendly to that audience, but in the end they decided not to do so.

Do you think they should have went ahead and censored those names or do you think they were right to leave it as is?

No. The target audience for the SMT games isn't at all the kind of people who have second thoughts just because of words like 'demons' and 'devil.' :p

I mean, if such people bought them and found out the sort of stuff the games portray later, they'd feel tricked. Besides, it'd cause continuity errors and difficulty in translating the games because, well, what else can you call them? 'Beast' is just as off-putting in context (number of the beast, etc.)

Reactions: Kakea, Iridium Winter, Shin and 1 other person
Nah, if anything, the proper word for theor kind of being, daemon, would have been less attractive than just demon (yes, even the angels and gods count as demons in SMT)

And what is this about not controlling the devil? :p ofc you do, in most games, Lucifer is available as a very high level demon to use

Reactions: Marc
No. There's religious stuff throughout the game, and calling them demons keeps the theme.

Yeah, no.

If anyone decides to not buy the game because of the word demons, then they're morons who should be mocked mercilessly. Out of all the friggin reasons you might avoid these games (i.e. religious themes, extremely dark plots, all the nudity, etc etc), skipping them because "oh it has demons and demons are baaaad" is stupid.

Reactions: 4362, Shin, Natsu Swagneel and 1 other person
Yeah, I don't think people who are going to get this game are going to be put off by the word Demons, just because there is so much other stuff in these games, that if you're okay with everything else in it, you're not gonna ave a problem with the word demon.

No. What word could replace the word demon in the series? People are just playing a game.If they are having a problem playing the game because of the theme, they shouldn't play it at all. It's their loss anyways for not playing the game.

Why? What effect would it have in the players looking at these obivous demons (I mean they have demons like Lucifer and Satan) and replacing it with... nothing. If the player thinks they are cheated they won't want to play it. And as many others have asked what with? Monsters, villains, foul beasts dont have the same menacingness as demons do. the others I listed sound like something from Scooby doo.

I am glad they kept it cause it's one of the more a luring things about the games. I have always liked the dark aspect of them and wouldn't enjoy it if they had sugar coated everything just to please those that don't even play the games . I have noticed one thing with the new game tho and that is they did go a bit soft on the language . Not that it's a bad thing it's just I'm not use to that. There are some others things I've noticed but they're small and don't really effect the game much . I would say it's just me being nit picky since I love the SMT games so much . I don't think that they should let anyone tell them they need to change what makes the games what they are .

Reactions: Blue Knight
Unless you want to do some stupid censoring stuff I would keep it that way. It is like they change Pokémon (Pocket Monsters) to Pokepets (Pocket Pets). Not the best idea.

The game is rated M, if anyone's sensitives where hurt by that type of langue they dont have the mental age to play this game. sorry to say that. its sad but true.

The words demon and devil also are more of a relation to Japanese culture. Westernized culture has led to demons and devils seen in a very different light than how the Japanese do, whose culture is much more spiritual.
Most, if not all, Atlus games are very proud of their Japanese culture and have strong focusses on very Japanese things (part of what makes persona so good)

Reactions: 18
Alright, the ATLUS master steps in (only time my name sense). Seriously though, in the time period Atlus' games take place isn't the time we are in, it is a medieval time of sorts in most cases (etrian odyssey, persona series, e.t.c.) when "demons" and the "devil" were not the biggest issue of the world around them. Defending their territory and societies well-being were a lot more important which is the main point of most of Atlus' games. Another note being that humans have gradually become a lot more "whiney" over the generations. Not to be offensive in anyway but I get the fact that religion is important and all however end of the day it is still a video game so calm the fudge down. Even after all that if demon/devil references are a problem for you at the end of the day can you even read the bible anymore. Like seriously, I am christian and I have no problem with any of Atlus' games and to this day I still can't decide whether I like Atlus or Nintendo more!

Back