Do you think we'll ever see Etrian Odyssey on the Switch?

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
This franchise was a really fun dungeon crawler that's existed since the DS, making use of the touch screen to let the player map out their surroundings, which often played as objectives to certain missions in the story, such as mapping out a certain % of a floor.

Now the DS line of console is fading into obscurity and the Switch is now Nintendo's primary focus. Do you think Etrian Odyssey will be ditched as another forgotten franchise or do you think there's a chance it would come back, perhaps changing the mechanics a little so mapping won't be so important or done away with entirely?

...Of course, RPGs come and go, Etrian Odyssey would be for most yet another that wouldn't be paid attention to much. But I really liked the party creation and dungeon crawling aesthetics in particular, even if the former forced the story to be given minimal focus, and I haven't really seen any RPGs quite like Etrian Odyssey in a while now.

This franchise was a really fun dungeon crawler that's existed since the DS, making use of the touch screen to let the player map out their surroundings, which often played as objectives to certain missions in the story, such as mapping out a certain % of a floor.

Now the DS line of console is fading into obscurity and the Switch is now Nintendo's primary focus. Do you think Etrian Odyssey will be ditched as another forgotten franchise or do you think there's a chance it would come back, perhaps changing the mechanics a little so mapping won't be so important or done away with entirely?

...Of course, RPGs come and go, Etrian Odyssey would be for most yet another that wouldn't be paid attention to much. But I really liked the party creation and dungeon crawling aesthetics in particular, even if the former forced the story to be given minimal focus, and I haven't really seen any RPGs quite like Etrian Odyssey in a while now.
I think it depends on how popular it was. I haven't heard of this game, and I played the DS and 3DS a while ago. It seems like this year is year of the remakes, so it could be possible. However, I doubt it. It might come in, but it all depends on how well recieved and how popular it was.

It was quite a niche series, kind of like Disgaea, plus I believe is was a third party game like Rune Factory, which also recently received a rerelease on the Switch.

The main concern is whether they'll be able to keep making games for a series which has its main gimmick impossible to carry over to the Switch, as Etrian Odyssey specifically relied on two screens, one of which had to be a touch screen.

There seem to be other dungeons crawlers on the Switch such as Moreo Chronicles, Mary Skelter and Labyrinth of Refrain, the last of which also has customisable units. I suppose they make for alternatives but there was something about Etrian Odyssey that made me specifically made me like it. Maybe I'm blinded by nostalgia.

Either way, even though Labyrinth has a by-far superior story, I'd still like to see Etrian Odyssey on the Switch. If the other three I mentioned can work on the Switch, I can easily see Etrian Odyssey - arguably the original game of its style - getting a makeover to fit as well. Just take out the mapping system and replace it with a normal one.

Reactions: phofufury
@phofufury if you have never heard of Etrian Odyssey then you never had a childhood, and that's just a fact.

• Funny
Reactions: phofufury and Trazzers
i feel like with dragon quest mobsters 3 game that etrian odyssey on the switch is experiencing delays in both production and the timing to announce any info about the games.
making it feel like nothing is happening in the series.
at least it is not same situation as senran kagura 7even where the makers had to start from square one years after working on it

@phofufury if you have never heard of Etrian Odyssey then you never had a childhood, and that's just a fact.
i never got into rpgs until recently sooooooo.....

• Funny
Reactions: Jisenku
To be fair, I've only played the Etrian Series once, as well as a few demos beforehand which got me into the series. It's suprirsingly good which is why I hope it can continue even after the 3DS ends. Something about the style of exploration as well as perhaps how the strategy aspect was handled - quite an intricate system for an RPG.

I've never really seen any RPGs quite like it. Most prioritise story over gameplay, whereas Etrian Odyssey was the opposite, which gave it its charm. The story wasn't great but the strategy was revolutionary. Even some actual strategy RPGs I play nowadays don't have as much depth in gameplay as Etrian Odyssey did. If my 2DS still worked, I'd go and replay the whole game right now...

Overall, I think I was about 15 or 16 when I first played it. Was about a year after Pokemon Moon's release. Huh, come to think of it, quite a fair bit further back than I though... time flies, I suppose.

Reactions: phofufury and Jisenku
etrian games appeal was build your own character stories even though the games has a plot but not much build up for the npc in the games stories.
i played each etrian game except for the mystery dungeon 2 game as it never release out of japan.
i liked that you can build teams and make your own characters.
etrian odyssey , class of heroes and 7th dragon were games i loved and played between 2009-2015.
saddened that seventh dragon 3 code vfd was last game and class of heroes has not been active much outside of. that one switch port recently and that etrian oddyssey only had that one teaser a few years back and nothing else since then .
but rpg games where you make characters and build teams i found to be fund despite time consuming when it comes to grinding one of the reasons these types of games are avoided by some.
i did not mind i could grind while watching tv or youtube videos like some people do when shiny hunting by breeding pokemon.
i did not hear about etrian odyssey until i heard about etrian odyssey 3 that game was my first etrian game. i loved it and still hope that etrian 3 gets a untold game on switch at least. the princess class in both etrian and 7th dragon are my favorite by both design and abilities in battle.
so the games are nostalgic for me even though i was in my late teens when i first played a etrian game.
i played 7th dragon ds and. class of heroes 1 before etrian odyssey “my recall isnt 100% but close enough” didnt finish class of heroes 1 but played and beat class of heroes 2 , 3 and the game after 3”forgot its name” and still have those games but not played them for quite some time

Reactions: Jisenku
Back