Do you wish they'd bring back read-write functionality for amiibo?

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
Back when amiibo were first announced, they were introduced as a competitor to the other big toys-to-life franchises at the time - notably, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and LEGO Dimensions.

Nowadays, the fad has died out, and amiibo are mostly limited to minor rewards when scanned. Sometimes there will be minor read-write compatibility if it's a specific amiibo made for a certain game but that's about it. As well as the CPU fighters in Smash Bros, of course.

We never got a real toys-to-life experience like any of its competitors. It's quite unlikely at this point, but do you still wish we'd get a real game focused on this functionality, or at least a greater role than those they are typically restricted to in modern games?

I always wanted some kind of action platformer like Skylanders or Infinity, but that never happened. Perhaps some kind of RPG would also be interesting with the vast array of amiibo currently available - the vast majority of which has little use anymore.

Reactions: phofufury
Honestly, I did not like that fad. I hated it in fact. Imo, it was a money grab. I had Skylanders for the 3DS, but had to buy the additional figurines for extra characters and the "portal". I never had Amiibos, and I probably won't ever get them. I hope Nintendo doesn't make a game based on it, idk how that would work out.

Honestly, I did not like that fad. I hated it in fact. Imo, it was a money grab. I had Skylanders for the 3DS, but had to buy the additional figurines for extra characters and the "portal". I never had Amiibos, and I probably won't ever get them. I hope Nintendo doesn't make a game based on it, idk how that would work out.

I think most people hated it, since it essentially much more than a money grab like you said, but for people like me who (perhaps irrationally) invested into it, we're now stuck with pieces of plastic that don't do a lot more than look cool. Nintendo could've at least done more with the amiibo than they actually did. Now a lot of amiibo owners have figures that will likely never be of any use at all.

A game based on it could be interesting, maybe a free download like the old application they had for the Wii U so as an incentive to buy the amiibo rather than an incentive to buy the game, but I don't think it would be successful, so I doubt they would make it at all. They seem to have more or less given up entirely on amiibo by now. Sadly, which means we really won't have much more in our hands than overpriced plastic.

Reactions: phofufury
The first to do this was Pokemon Rumble on the Wii U. I wish Pokemon did more with this power though. Imagine saving team spreadsheets on an entire Amiibo. If that didn't work cut the team in half. They had so much potential going for them but only left the idea because players don't actually contribute to their games when the Amiibo does half the work for them like a paywall. I could see it work in action or JRPGs for example like Kingdom Hearts and the Devil Summoner series. Know where I'm going with this? There's options in those games to control AI of your allies. With powers like that Nintendo or other titles would never imagine the problems the robot overlords would have after they would create that... Or they aren't that creative yet. Hopefully this concept gets better but Smash is the most creative use of that idea.

Back