Does GameFreak really deserve this hate?

• Thread starter Scraggy32
  • Start date

Does GameFreak really deserve this hate?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Scraggy32

Scraggy32

Scraggy FTW
Towns Folk
I mean honestly, I feel that a lot of people are acting like as if they know how game development at a Japanese company works. I also feel as if people are seeing Masuda as the bad guy. I guess I'm just tired of people saying that they're lazy and that they're complaining about minor stuff such as TREES! And as far as the National Dex is concerned, I'm sure at some point they couldn't do that anymore! I understand that most of you are upset about this kind of stuff but it's not worth sending hate to a company full of people who are just doing their job! I feel that you do that with every upcoming Pokemon Game! I'm sorry if that was too much but I felt that it had to be said!

Even if they don't deserve the hate now due to reasons out of their control, which I am fine with, I feel they will deserve hate if they decide to stick with this policy of "no more collecting all Pokemon in future games" after Sword and Shield. To do so is a detriment to their IP, and will result in loss of sales. The only reason Sword and Shield will stay afloat for now is due to the bad publicity it is receiving, which is still publicity regardless. Once that wears off, the full brunt of their choices will bear down on them in the next games, assuming they double down on that said policy.

As for me, I have mixed opinions on this. I'm with many folks who wants Game Freak and co. to keep on having National Dex, but my reason to do so is because I don't want to see any outcries of it anymore, considering that when I'm rewatching a trailer that shows Dynamax for the first time, at times I'm sad because I felt these outcry shouldn't be happening to the game looking THIS good.

I'm not sure if Game Freak and co. deserve all the bashing or not, but I hope all these complaints aimed at Game Freak and co. should make them consider to have all Pokémon included on the next games moving forward, to prevent the same outcry that Sword/Shield already have. And I hope they would make Sword/Shield a game to be remembered (in a good way).

i think and other people dont have to apologize because of wanting pokemon to be the best it can be
i could list the reasons why this is happening, and its not only "national dex" , its more about lying to the players about the reason of cutting pokemon from the games
like for example, they said it was to make better animations for the pokemon avaliable
result= we have seen recycled animations with extremely minor changes, if any
or like when they said they wanted to give a chance to unpopular pokemon to have the spotligth
result= LETS SHOW ALTERNATIVE FORMS OF ALREADY POPULAR POKEMON
or when they said that they made futureproof 3d models back when X and Y were made and they dowdraded them to fit them in the 3ds, but they had them saved for future games
result= gamefreak now says that the models were recreated for this game....and they look nearly identical to the 3ds models and all of the grafical updrades are not because of the models themselves

they could have said "we will add the other pokemon in a update" to calm the fans but they didnt

and another thing that makes me a litte angrier (with the fans,not with gamefreak in this case ) its how i have seen people tolerate everything with this game,
but seeing that same people hating on tokyo mirage sessions´s switch port wich is a very good game, only because of censorship (wich is the same on the wiiu european version)
¿why?
because its a superficial change ,wich is making all the costumes show less skin and also i saw some of those people saying "they are selling us a game with less content" when atlus literally adds so much content to their enchanced ports that im sure they could sell it separately in another game

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I mean honestly, I feel that a lot of people are acting like as if they know how game development at a Japanese company works. I also feel as if people are seeing Masuda as the bad guy. I guess I'm just tired of people saying that they're lazy and that they're complaining about minor stuff such as TREES! And as far as the National Dex is concerned, I'm sure at some point they couldn't do that anymore! I understand that most of you are upset about this kind of stuff but it's not worth sending hate to a company full of people who are just doing their job! I feel that you do that with every upcoming Pokemon Game! I'm sorry if that was too much but I felt that it had to be said!

I think they do deserve backlash, they are trying to keep on some schedule instead polishing up the game and now the lack of polish is affecting core gameplay. for example I used to be able to ignore the plain animations, like donphan not doing his roll much of all when that's a trait I love about donphan that reminds me of the pokemon stadium 2 and colosseum days. I feel like the personality I loved about pokemon is dulled in a rush to get the game out by deadline. same goes for the overworld and it having poor quality textures and the constant retreading of old grounds with for example, the camp system.

I mean I can't even find a reason to play anymore as the main reason I love pokemon is the hunting and collecting of rare pokemon and recently started creating competitive and nicknamed pokemon for each species for battles so at this point what on earth would I pay a 50% increase for? galarian forms? I don't think any of us hate sword and shield, there is no way on earth it will be a BAD game infact it looks like it will be fun. but there is a lack of polish that will affect every game from now on if THIS game was pushing there limits so ima stick to past titles.

I guess I'm just tired of people saying that they're lazy and that they're complaining about minor stuff such as TREES!
Dude. This may as well be the most cherry picked thing about the people who are upset with what gamefreak is doing. I've looked on twitter recently and the only people who bring up the trees are people who are trying to make fun of the pro national dex members. I don't really wanna dip into the main part of this debate, since everyone can have their opinions and I'm sure each side has its points, but good god I hate when people try to use that as a valid part of their argument.

I think is question is quite complicated.

Does GameFreak deserve some backlash for this stuff?

Absolutely they do. There's no question that people deserve to be annoyed about cutting the national dex. But honestly, guys this was inevitable. Does it stink that people's favorite pokemon might not make it? Sure. But let's be honest here, do you know how many pokemon there are at this point? As of gen 7 there are 807 pokemon. So let's say that there will be about 100 new pokemon in gen 8. That means that if they kept the national dex there would be 900 Pokemon they would have to program into the game. And no these models are not just the 3ds ones. These models are updated to look a lot better. They do not have the weird looking polygons that some of the 3ds models had. So they have to at the very least update all the models and animations for the 807 returning pokemon. That's a lot more work than i think these people realize. Plus just going off the trailers we've seen there seem to be a decent amount of returning pokemon from various gens. So yes I'm sorry that you can't transfer you're shiny hacked level 100 legendaries into this game but that severely decreases the work load on these guys.

Also honestly I feel like this mostly affects competitive. Transferring pokemon is such a chore and I think it's safe to say that most people will not collect all 900 Pokemon in sw/sh anyway. It just limits the Pokemon available for competitive pokemon.

Does it stink that they removed the national dex? Sure. But my point is the hate is just way too much. You have to understand where these developers are coming from. Besides just bc the nat dex is cut doesn't mean that this is going to be a bad game! I'm looking forward to a lot of the new features in these games!

So yes the hate is a little too much in my opinion. Backlash is inevitable but the extreme nitpicking and harassing the developers with #bringbackthenationaldex is not right.

Reactions: Starry Windy and Bagel
I think is question is quite complicated.

Does GameFreak deserve some backlash for this stuff?

Absolutely they do. There's no question that people deserve to be annoyed about cutting the national dex. But honestly, guys this was inevitable. Does it stink that people's favorite pokemon might not make it? Sure. But let's be honest here, do you know how many pokemon there are at this point? As of gen 7 there are 807 pokemon. So let's say that there will be about 100 new pokemon in gen 8. That means that if they kept the national dex there would be 900 Pokemon they would have to program into the game. And no these models are not just the 3ds ones. These models are updated to look a lot better. They do not have the weird looking polygons that some of the 3ds models had. So they have to at the very least update all the models and animations for the 807 returning pokemon. That's a lot more work than i think these people realize. Plus just going off the trailers we've seen there seem to be a decent amount of returning pokemon from various gens. So yes I'm sorry that you can't transfer you're shiny hacked level 100 legendaries into this game but that severely decreases the work load on these guys.

Also honestly I feel like this mostly affects competitive. Transferring pokemon is such a chore and I think it's safe to say that most people will not collect all 900 Pokemon in sw/sh anyway. It just limits the Pokemon available for competitive pokemon.

Does it stink that they removed the national dex? Sure. But my point is the hate is just way too much. You have to understand where these developers are coming from. Besides just bc the nat dex is cut doesn't mean that this is going to be a bad game! I'm looking forward to a lot of the new features in these games!

So yes the hate is a little too much in my opinion. Backlash is inevitable but the extreme nitpicking and harassing the developers with #bringbackthenationaldex is not right.

I couldn't agree with you more. The National Dex thing never bothered me but the fact that they are still people complaining about it was frustrating to me. At this point I don't care what anyone thinks, I still plan on getting Pokemon Sword and I plan on enjoying just like I would for any Pokemon Game!

Reactions: Starry Windy and Whovian#1
Personally I'm not interested in SwSh, but I wonder if they realise simply not buying the games are an option :rolleyes:
People are definitely going overboard, what with Masuda getting spammed with #bringbackthenationaldex. And knowing Gamefreak, it'll be included in the next game(s) as a new feature anyway. It's harassment over something everyone knew was inevitable. Besides the older games will still exist, so all those mons collected over the years will be safe and sound.
That said, my only gripe are the animations and models. This 'culling' should've been the perfect opportunity to fine tune their current models so they look more dynamic, as opposed to just standing in place. And not gonna lie, some of the animations in trailers definitely could use some improvement. Granted they might much look better in the final game, so I could be proven wrong.

P.S. Everyone should be grateful that Landorus, Tapus, and UBs are finally gone lol

P.S. Everyone should be grateful that Landorus, Tapus, and UBs are finally gone lol
everyone should be hoping recent leaks are incorrect :p

Reactions: Hibiki_Kuze
That means that if they kept the national dex there would be 900 Pokemon they would have to program into the game. And no these models are not just the 3ds ones. These models are updated to look a lot better. They do not have the weird looking polygons that some of the 3ds models had. So they have to at the very least update all the models and animations for the 807 returning pokemon.

The models should still be the same since there is no reason to update them. They already had more polycounts than the 3DS itself needed. The exception to this so far has been from Pokemon Let's Go, with the Eevee and Pikachu models, because of course they need to make the companion Pokemon more expressive. Otherwise, it's effectively a retexturing job that the models need, nothing else.

And besides which, lets assume they do want to re-adjust a lot of animation and model details, and as a result there's too much work involved. I don't think it's a hard ask to put that small polish on the sidelines for patches or future games which will be using the same engine after this one anyway, and just stick with what they've already built up from the 3DS titles. What's weird is their fixation on "polished features over Pokemon" when they could've just as easily made Sword and Shield an engine conversion title like X/Y was, and then focus their polishing efforts on future Pokemon titles. That's what they should've done to begin with, and would avoid having to throw them all in a future game next time.

But since that would render their development useless, it seems they're doubling down on the lack of all Pokemon, which will just make future games gradually less successful.

Reactions: InfiniteDream and eonia
I did come across a video that helped explain a few things.

Back