Don't Use the Current Music Player App

• Thread starter Jisenku
  • Start date
J

Jisenku

I have an obsession with Tesla >.<
Towns Folk
TD;LR IT ASKS FOR A LOT OF PERMISSIONS

The Current App is a way to stream a radio of your favorite genres, or the mood that you are in and earn money by doing so. Just click on the radio and start listening. The app has around a 4.3-star rating and is overall received well.

The thing is it literally HAS access to soo much stuff that's its not funny, like you might as well just give your SSN while your at it. It's kinda scary. Please don't use it

<3

Last edited:
Reactions: Yumi Chi
lmao, a quick google and this looks totally good. Apparently, the more money you get, the less you earn. So, generally how these things work then.

A quick look at the security side and my main issue that for android at least it requires literally too many permissions. Read AND modify contacts? Taking pictures and videos? Reading everything on your calendar and being able to modify it and email guests for listed events "without owners' knowledge"?? Also looks like basically all communication-based permissions which is incredibly worrying as well. Honestly can't see many permissions I know of that aren't listed.

I wanna bet that the way this app works and stays afloat is harvesting your phone's data along with your listening habits while using people as probably a botnet to inflate streaming numbers for songs? Not something I'd advise using at all honestly, much the same with anything in this same vein. What you get out of it (potentially) is not worth any amount of time you put in it and isn't anything comparable to what the company gets from you and what personal data (your own and people listed in your phone (contacts, calendar events, etc)) you're making public.

Reactions: Jisenku
lmao, a quick google and this looks totally good. Apparently, the more money you get, the less you earn. So, generally how these things work then.

A quick look at the security side and my main issue that for android at least it requires literally too many permissions. Read AND modify contacts? Taking pictures and videos? Reading everything on your calendar and being able to modify it and email guests for listed events "without owners' knowledge"?? Also looks like basically all communication-based permissions which is incredibly worrying as well. Honestly can't see many permissions I know of that aren't listed.

I wanna bet that the way this app works and stays afloat is harvesting your phone's data along with your listening habits while using people as probably a botnet to inflate streaming numbers for songs? Not something I'd advise using at all honestly, much the same with anything in this same vein. What you get out of it (potentially) is not worth any amount of time you put in it and isn't anything comparable to what the company gets from you and what personal data (your own and people listed in your phone (contacts, calendar events, etc)) you're making public.
You probably have a point, they don't want you to have Developer Options on (I mess with it a lot).

You probably have a point, they don't want you to have Developer Options on (I mess with it a lot).

what does developer options have to do with any of that? And why are you even messing with those options?

what does developer options have to do with any of that? And why are you even messing with those options?
I literally only do it for like USB Debugging for certain applications, I do my research before doing anything stupid with it. I might activate that one option where you have the little circle where your finger is, but otherwise it's just on for no real reason

I checked the permissions, and while YES, Current does have the ABILITY to get all of that you said, the thing is that all of the permissions on mine are disabled, and as such, they are getting literally nothing. I think the thing that keeps them up is that they show ads on the radio cover sometimes, and you can watch ads for points, or take surveys

I literally only do it for like USB Debugging for certain applications, I do my research before doing anything stupid with it. I might activate that one option where you have the little circle where your finger is, but otherwise it's just on for no real reason

Well, I'd probably suggest turning it off when not in use, some things can hook into it and cause issues (among also some apps not working if it's on like Nintendo apps occasionally). And I don't really see why USB debugging should be on unless you're debugging your own complex apps or deep fixing your phone.

But back to the point, why would any of those permissions be needed to see if developer mode is on? None of those permissions are needed at all for a music app or even to see that.

I checked the permissions, and while YES, Current does have the ABILITY to get all of that you said, the thing is that all of the permissions on mine are disabled, and as such, they are getting literally nothing. I think the thing that keeps them up is that they show ads on the radio cover sometimes, and you can watch ads for points, or take surveys

Don't do the surveys. For the love of anything data-related and if you don't want adware, do not take those surveys.

Well, I'd probably suggest turning it off when not in use, some things can hook into it and cause issues (among also some apps not working if it's on like Nintendo apps occasionally). And I don't really see why USB debugging should be on unless you're debugging your own complex apps or deep fixing your phone.

But back to the point, why would any of those permissions be needed to see if developer mode is on? None of those permissions are needed at all for a music app or even to see that.

Don't do the surveys. For the love of anything data-related and if you don't want adware, do not take those surveys.
God I know, I only take surveys on Swagbucks (I know it sounds bad, but they are a very popular company, and it's not like I'm doing Facebook Viewpoints.

BTW, None of the permissions were on when I opened the app, so I think it's just automatic that apps can see that.

I actually really enjoy the music

BTW, None of the permissions were on when I opened the app, so I think it's just automatic that apps can see that.

Not quite. Android permissions work that when you download them, you agree to those permissions. Specific things like reading contacts, using the camera and such pop up in the app usually when the app wants to use them, but for most of the permissions on here, there will be no popup since you agreed to the terms when you hit download.

Ummm...

1583703568006.png

Hmm may poke this on iOS everyday is music in my world I have to have music on almost 24/7 besides sleep which is moshi & fan o.o

Hmm may poke this on iOS everyday is music in my world I have to have music on almost 24/7 besides sleep which is moshi & fan o.o
You might want to wait a bit, I need to do research on the permissions

eep

You might want to wait a bit, I need to do research on the permissions

eep

hmm iOS is sandbox not allowed to do things unlike android o_O
I trust apps more on iOS lol

UMMMM, I JUST CHECKED THE PERMISSIONS

This app has access to:
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20-rw
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20-rw
Phone
  • read phone status and identity
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rw
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • approximate location (network-based)
HamT9lfCgDFF51sEKg0PVXBeo5spdXLKf7ZGZwBg4DqDCzIqraYBO3iNyi0cqGzXR_wktUPw56h-_KUf=s20-rw
Calendar
  • add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge
  • read calendar events plus confidential information
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20-rw
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rw
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
BAH0TYCVcT4bH2ErsHtCEbO-1Tr5O5Hjwst6AFghZQt5pI8NkfonAsmYfnvj939aqSVtbuM81B38AB0GYQ=s20-rw
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20-rw
Contacts
  • modify your contacts
  • read your contacts
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rw
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rw
Photos/Media/Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • run at startup
  • view network connections
  • expand/collapse status bar
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • full network access
  • control vibration
  • change your audio settings
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • control Near Field Communication
  • prevent device from sleeping

This be why I don’t use a Android XD
From what I know with iOS everything is asked of you from the gecko cause Apple locks apps down to a sandbox so it can’t do nothing weird lol
though that’s alot of permissions DANG...

This be why I don’t use a Android XD
From what I know with iOS everything is asked of you from the gecko cause Apple locks apps down to a sandbox so it can’t do nothing weird lol
though that’s alot of permissions DANG...
Yeah, I had to delete it because of the Copy & paste rule... lol

• Informative
Back