Don't you guys think that GameStop is a ripoff?

• Thread starter Natsu Swagneel
  • Start date
Natsu Swagneel

Natsu Swagneel

ShoutBox Killer and #1 Pedia Murder Victim
Banned User
They pretty much charge ten more dollars than the original retail price of anything. By the way, might I mention that you're literally being given two cents for trading in a game?! I'd really rather just sell a game on ebay or something. Looking on the positive side, GameStop really does have a nice selection of games, but then again, GameStop is like the Hobby Lobby of video game retailers. Overpriced and something you'd find at Walmart. But Walmart is cheaper, of course. I'd really love to hear (more like read, but whatever) everyone else's thoughts on this!

I totally agree with this thread because they barley give you any freaking money for trading in a game or a console. In fact they barely give you $5 when you trade in a PS2!!!! It also makes me angry that they overprice the crap out of their games. That's why I like best buy better because they actually give a crap about their customers and they have free wifi. SUCK ON THAT GAMESTOP!!!!!

While we don't have Gamestop here, an acquaintance of mine overseas sometimes gets her games from there and has told me how much of a rip-off it is! Here (Europe, Greece), I traded in Luigi's Mansion 2 and got 35€! She, on the other hand, traded in a Nintendogs for the 3DS and only got 7$! These are two games that have the exact same price! Seriously, why do people even go there?

They pretty much charge ten more dollars than the original retail price of anything. By the way, might I mention that you're literally being given two cents for trading in a game?! I'd really rather just sell a game on ebay or something. Looking on the positive side, GameStop really does have a nice selection of games, but then again, GameStop is like the Hobby Lobby of video game retailers. Overpriced and something you'd find at Walmart. But Walmart is cheaper, of course. I'd really love to hear (more like read, but whatever) everyone else's thoughts on this!
I have to disagree with the statement that GameStop charges more for games. Almost every game retailer store I go to, the prices for games are the same. $39.99 for a new 3DS game, $29.99 used. And when I sold back Sonic Generations for the PS3, they gave me a full refund. Hell, they didn't need me to have a state I.D. or be 18 years of age. Plus, Walmart sells their products cheaper. You admitted this yourself. Of course you can buy something for less at Walmart. But some of us don't have it.

Reactions: ✍MaskSmash✌ and Iridium Winter
gamestop has so many memes and complaints so y dont they respond. a while back i was buying modern warfare 1 and 2, and i was curious so i asked "how much will i get if i sell super mario 64 ds " and they said 8 dollars like wat is their problem they'll probably sell that game for like 25 or 30 dollars. i was so mad, like who in the world would sell mario 64 ds for 8 dollars its not worth 8 dollars. thats just disrespectful to mario 64 fans everywhere.

I have no problem buying games from Game stop if it is a new retail game that has just came out. I like their policy of picking up pre orders at store without having to pay for it online.

Used games are an absolute rip off at gamestop, and so are trade ins. I do not go to gamestop much often, but from my experience, picking up retail games is absolutely fine there.

No...GameStop is a company trying to make money. They don't rip people off.

It doesn't make any sense for them to pay more than $5 (and they do actually give $10, according to the website) for a PlayStation 2 when it's 15 years old, no one will buy it and they'll sell for as cheap at $50. Refurbishing consoles costs money. Like I said, they're trying to MAKE money.

As for game trade-ins...they're completely fair. Don't expect to get a good price on stuff that they're selling for less than $20 used. Most games that they sell for $50-$55 used (which I will admit is kinda gross - I'd rather just pay the extra money and support the developer) will trade-in for $25-$30. That's a fair deal. I've actually sold games to GameStop and MADE money on them (ex. I bought Dying Light at Walmart for $15, sold to GameStop for $20, and many more cases like this).

I'm not trying to defend GameStop - if they really ripped people off, that would suck and I'd go against them. But they don't and this mentality is ridiculous and childish. Besides, how can THEY rip you off if YOU'RE the one who's selling stuff to them?

Reactions: PrimordialMew24
GameStop seems to have fair prices for me as well. Maybe Walmart is just cheaper than the MSRP. >.<

On the other hand, I think the trade-in-value for some consoles could be fixed ;-; You could trade in your whole life box of games and end up getting $20 :p

Disagreeement =/= hate okie? ;-; It's hard to tell over text, but most of the time, the person disagreeing doesn't have anything personal against you (on pedia, at least), just a different opinion =)

Well back when I started getting games I didn't have a gamestop, so I couldn't get games there.So I don't worry about the games too much, because the game store I use went too before gamestop. Had them more money.

(Wait, I actually posted something like this? Noice :eek:)
Anyway, just coming back to say that where I live, they lie about the discounts. But the good part is that warranties are at a great price! :p

Yeah I agree GameStop is a big time ripoff. It's sad really. They just know they can get away with it, because they know people want games instantly and to not have to wait for shipping and stuff. GameStop should be renamed to GameFlop.

Their trade-in prices are rip offs in my opinion. That's why I don't go there, and I rather buy my video games at Target anyways. The stores are very small usually so it's quite crowded because a lot of people go there. I'd say they are an okay business, but they are kind of cheap.

You make more money selling your old games on Amazon than trading them in, and you can't get any old consoles or games. But my Gamestop's selling used PS3s and Xbox 360's for like 20-30$, and they're still selling gamecube games and gift cards for MMORPG games. Plus they have more choices for games than the other places I shop at.

As far as trading games in, heck yeah they rip you off. But if you just buy stuff from there like I do, then it isn't a ripoff. Same prices as everywhere else in most cases.

I never buy games from GameStop because you can get stuff cheaper at Amazon and Best Buy

I certainly abuse the hell out of their trade in system though. There's usually something on sale every week at Best Buy that trades in at GameStop for more than I paid for it lmfao

easy way to make quick money

What's really outrageous is the prices for selling games- my older games won't even sell for 50 cents there! Then they go and sell it to someone else for $30?
But the prices of new games there are usually the same as anywhere else for me, and you can get an okay deal on some used games too.

(Please note: This was before 2016 even started, so I don't remember the exact amount of money they insisted on giving me when I tried to trade to GameStop. Thanks for understanding.)

I have to agree with you as well as everyone else. GameStop is a rip-off (not so sure about total rip-off in there) because a year and a half ago I think, I traded in like 10 Wii/GameCube games and they said that they can give me $20 in-store credit, or $10-15 in cash. I told them a simple no thanks. I then went to GameXchange (which changed it's name to GameZone a year ago, and back to GameXchange a few weeks ago) and they kindly took them and they gave me $75-78 in cash exactly. They were very helpful. I knew that GameXchange was the right place to go. GameStop is a piece of <censored> TBH...BUT I have to give them some credit for having these exclusive mystical Pokémon distributions for this year. But as far as selling items go...total rip-off! 5-15 bucks for 15 used/played games, yet all of their stuff is basically used sometimes. They better get their act up and start buying games for more money! I am not going back to GameStop to sell my games. Even if it's a Wii U game and they give me crap for, absolutely not!! I will stick with GameXchange for that. No wonder other parents criticize them on social media for money-back guarantee policy if they have a policy like that, which reminds me, do they?

Last edited:
Well, I fondly remember trading in a stack of old Wii games at the old Gamestop down the road only to learn that my total trade-in value can to less than $40.00. I had twenty-five games in that stack, that totaled at least $500 at retail, and I knew that Gamestop was going to turn around and sell them at nearly full price. Some of the games were worth less than 30 cents...:dead:

Back