Dragon Quest X on 3DS in Japan

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
As a lot of you (or not) were aware, Dragon Quest X is available on Wii/WiiU/PC and iPhone only in Japan
(Like most of the games we want, so you can't play it. Stupid Region-Lock :punch:.)

But, in Japan, there will be a 3DS port of the game! It will be identical to the other versions and will still require a subscription to play, due to it being a MMORPG, but unfortunately, it will still not be available worldwide (except for people who have Japanese 3DS), and Square Enix isn't planning it to release it worldwide anyway.

And in case you're wondering: it will have the same graphics as the smartphone version.

It will be released in Japan the 4th September this year.

Sounds like a really poor-quality release for the 3DS then, if it's going to have smartphone graphics and is an MMORPG that requires subscription. It's pretty likely that the reason Square Enix aren't releasing it worldwide is that while given how this kind of stuff is OK in the endless sea of games Japan has, it would be a disaster in Western regions. I can't see Nintendo of America or Nintendo of Europe ever letting a game like this be released in US/EU regions.

So @Dragovian has nothing to be sad about :p

Reactions: Neofang64
Aaaaand you have to pay for the game and also the subscription. Cmiiw, but I think it's about 1500 yen ($15) a month. The game itself is about 3000 yen (you pay for a cloud-service).

Reactions: 18
Sounds like a really poor-quality release for the 3DS then, if it's going to have smartphone graphics and is an MMORPG that requires subscription. It's pretty likely that the reason Square Enix aren't releasing it worldwide is that while given how this kind of stuff is OK in the endless sea of games Japan has, it would be a disaster in Western regions. I can't see Nintendo of America or Nintendo of Europe ever letting a game like this be released in US/EU regions.

So @Dragovian has nothing to be sad about :p

Well, the smartphone version has quite good graphics. But yes, what I don't like is the fact that they make the user more than pay twice (Copy + Subscription + Next Sub if they want to keep playing.).

Also @dwikrid: I didn't know that the subscription was this expensive. Good thing finally it isn't released world-widely.

Reactions: 18
Oh,a new dragon wuest for the 3ds and they make it crappier than VI? Not interested.

Oh,a new dragon wuest for the 3ds and they make it crappier than VI? Not interested.
It's actually a port, and an MMORPG. Don't worry, it costs too much to make you interested ^^;

Yeah going into mmo territory was not good for DQ...

Online and local multiplayer would be cool,like in dq9,but MMO territory? Horrible idea.

So basically, after a year you would've spent $180 to play (the first two months are free, I think), then the servers will be shut down, and you're stuck with a piece of useless plastic that you don't want to throw away, because you want to feel like you got something out of your $180... I think this is one game Japan can keep. :p

Reactions: MLGirby
What about the old dragon quests' where you could just play by yourself, no stupid little game servers where you have to play with other people and was so fun, now you have this expensive piece of crap that's like half the fun and you gotta pay per month?

I think this is one game Japan can keep. :p

Egg-xactly.

Reactions: MLGirby
What about the old dragon quests' where you could just play by yourself, no stupid little game servers where you have to play with other people and was so fun, now you have this expensive piece of crap that's like half the fun and you gotta pay per month?

Don't know. Maybe Dragon Quest XI will mark the return of the regular single player RPG.

Too bad it's not coming to the West, although I'm pretty sure it would do real poorly since it requires a subscription fee. I am personally against subscription games because if you stop paying, you get your game taken away. If it went Buy-2-Play, or even Free-To-Play, then I would consider it (especially if it's the latter).

Back