Earthbound (Mother Series)

• Thread starter Raven
  • Start date
Raven

Raven

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
Earthbound (or Mother 2 in Japan) is a RPG for the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom that came out on June 5, 1995 (August 27, 1994). It's kind of odd that this game wasn't originally released in Europe, that is until it was released on the eShop... Anyway this is one of my most favorite RPGs of all time and if Final Fantasy 6 (III) wasn't on the Super Nintendo, this game would have been the best RPG ever on the console IMO. The music is probably the best thing next to the story of course, and the game can be disturbing in some parts but it's amazing. Do you have any memories of playing this game as a kid?

Reactions: phofufury
I've heard of this game but never actually played it. Might end up getting it. :p

sounds awesome though. I really like RPG's. Would be nice to see where Lucas and Ness come from. xD

Reactions: phofufury
I remember beating up rednecks and crows in that game lol And I still remember beating up that lamp that was haunting Ness' room in Earthbound 1 lol Those were good times lol This game kinda made me like Pokemon in the first place, Earthbound and Pokemon has similar, VERY Similar, battle styles and they're both adventure games lol Anyways, still waiting for Nintendo to cross release it in the 3DS lol :D

Earthbound (or Mother 2 in Japan) is a RPG for the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom that came out on June 5, 1995 (August 27, 1994). It's kind of odd that this game wasn't originally released in Europe, that is until it was released on the eShop... Anyway this is one of my most favorite RPGs of all time and if Final Fantasy 6 (III) wasn't on the Super Nintendo, this game would have been the best RPG ever on the console IMO. The music is probably the best thing next to the story of course, and the game can be disturbing in some parts but it's amazing. Do you have any memories of playing this game as a kid?
Earthbound is a super great! Although I didn't know that it didn't release on Europe! They kinda missing out unless they got an SNES Classic (does the EU version have Earthbound on it?) or bought it on the eShop. For me, Earthbound is the best RPG on the SNES. I haven't played the Final Fantasy games though, so I'm not sure.

Im really interested in the series but i havent beaten any of the games yet. I started on earthbound begginings (mother 1) for the nes and I've been stuck so rip. xd. I really wanna get to playing mother 2 and mother 3 since two of those are the most popular ones.

Mother 3 is the dystopian classic I admired even when I got to the end. It shows that fiction realm of possibilities and hope for more games in the future even though they were never planned. It didn't get the proper ending I was expecting. More or less I want to try the other games too but I have no way to play them. Preferably as the GBA 1+2 but translated and able to play on the Game Boy Player or the RetroN Jr./Sq. If that never happens at least I understand some of the story to those games. Could be great as a manga too since Itoi was a writer. We can only hope.

Reactions: Duffy
Never played the original Mother 1 (Earth Bound Beginnings) but I got the chance to start Mother 2 (Earthbound) on 3ds VC. it starts a little slow so I honestly put it down. I know the game is a classic, but it isn't perfect. I want to try Mother 3 but there's no official way to play it, and emulating the fan translation on my computer isn't the greatest way to play a game originally meant to be played with buttons (and not a keyboard).

Never played the original Mother 1 (Earth Bound Beginnings) but I got the chance to start Mother 2 (Earthbound) on 3ds VC. it starts a little slow so I honestly put it down. I know the game is a classic, but it isn't perfect. I want to try Mother 3 but there's no official way to play it, and emulating the fan translation on my computer isn't the greatest way to play a game originally meant to be played with buttons (and not a keyboard).
RPGs with buttons or keyboard isn't an issue. Besides the only real action in Mother 3 has to do with rhythmic standard attacks and if I wanted to speed it up surprisingly I got maybe 3 hit combos at best and aren't really required since it can make grinding easier too.

RPGs with buttons or keyboard isn't an issue. Besides the only real action in Mother 3 has to do with rhythmic standard attacks and if I wanted to speed it up surprisingly I got maybe 3 hit combos at best and aren't really required since it can make grinding easier too.
I verily dislike it on computer. It feels very odd pressing button commands on a keyboard even just in menus. I need a controller I can hook up to my computer because movement with arrow keys is mad vexing to me too for some reason.

I'm a fan of the earthbound series. I really want a trilogy remaster for switch so bad since earthbound is like 30+ years old. I wanted to beat all the games but I'm stuck on earthbound begginnings for the nes. rip lol. Hopefully I'll beat it someday. It's super difficult though cause when you die and revive your team is dead so you gotta go to somewhere to revive your team and restore their pp. Also in the very first games their just too many enemies. It gets tedious.

I verily dislike it on computer. It feels very odd pressing button commands on a keyboard even just in menus. I need a controller I can hook up to my computer because movement with arrow keys is mad vexing to me too for some reason.
Here's a solution:
There is more than one way to play on PC of course so this might interest you. Again for that price you might as well play the translation patched reproduction cartridge on actual hardware, just know there will be trouble streaming gameplay now if not for playing on PC.
insidegadgets – Retro Modding

Back