Eurovision 2018 discussion

• Thread starter 28142
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So with just over an hour to go until the final kicks off in Lisbon, Portugal, who here is gonna watch it? :p

What is Eurovision some of you might be asking? Eurovision is the worlds biggest singing contest which is broadcasted across 5 continents (excluding China this year :eyes:). European countries all pick a song to represent them then they go to the semifinals. There's 2 semi finals where in the first one, the first half of countries compete, and in the second, the second half. Then the ones who where voted on to win those go onto the Final. This is where all the voted in countries (and the Big 5, these are 5 countries (Italy, Germany, France, UK, Spain) who skip the semi finals and go straight to the final. This is due to the fact that these countries pay the most and help the most towards the contest.) all sing their songs and then voting is opened to the public.

The voting system is done by half televoting (the public), and half judges. The main issue with this now a days though is politics gets in the way often and countries end up winning due to some political thing during the year, or if a country is hated they end up loosing even if they have a great song.

Eurovision has never been like this before though, the original idea of the contest was to bring peace to Europe and unite the countries, even if it was for a week every year, after WW2. It was so people could forget about political fights and countries that hate each other, and just to enjoy each countries talents together. All these war-torn places finding light and hope together ^^

In 2015 for the 60th anniversary, Australia was invited to participate as a special one-off since Australians love Eurovision. Only issue is that they're still competing even to this year. No official statement has been made to say if they're now a perminant addition or if Eurovision are too scared to stop allowing them to compete for whatever reason. This is hugely controversial as 1) Australia isn't in Europe, and is currently the only (technically) non-European country that is participating and 2) Its hugely unfair on other countries who love Eurovision a lot as well, for example Canada or Africa.

Back to this year though, if you want a short recap of all the songs that got through to the final, check out the video below:

And here is the official line up for tonight:

WNn4X6o_d.jpg

nfk3K5o.png

So, who do you think will win? Who will get 0 points? Who'll be bottom of the leaderboard? And most importantly, what's your favourite song? :D

And the winner is.... Israel!

Imo, Israel deserved to win. For the first time in recent years, I've actually really liked the winning song :p

The biggest thing people are talking about though is the stage invasion during the UK's act. If you didn't watch the final, or missed it, here's a news article outlining what happened.

Poor SuRie though :c She seemed terrified afterwards even though she kept singing. You could hear it in her voice that she was quite shook up after it. She was given a choice on if she wanted to perform again after the final country performed, but she denied the offer. And honestly, I'm not surprised. Since the stage invasion was targeted at her, at the UK performance specifically, it would have been a very idea to go back on stage.

Ah well, at least the UK kept it's tradition on being bottom/very close to the bottom of the leaderboard xD

Is it a Europeexclusive thing? Unless it’s a worldwide competition. I don’t know I just have never heard of it maybe since. I’m from USA

Is it a Europeexclusive thing? Unless it’s a worldwide competition. I don’t know I just have never heard of it maybe since. I’m from USA

Well not really since Australia is participating. And it's broadcast worldwide. I know there's a huge fanbase in the US, just like there's an even bigger fanbase in Canada.

The final broadcast yesterday was estimated to have about 200 million people concurrent worldwide watching.

Back