Mario Kart Evading Spiny Shells in MK7

• Thread starter MMMs
  • Start date
MMMs

MMMs

After 2 years, I'm Back!
Towns Folk
Back in Mario Kart Wii, evading Spiny Shells while driving fast was a cinch when you have a Mushroom on hand and a little timing. But it was fixed in Mario Kart 7 or is it?

While playing MK7 trying to get 10,000 coins I stumbled upon a spiny shell while holding 3 Mushrooms when I was about to get hit, I might as well stop and try to hit the others with its blast radius. Then I stopped to try to hit them, but Suddenly, I pressed the L button by mistake when the Spiny shell was about to hit me. I evaded the Spiny Shell and the blast radius hit the other players. I could not believe that I just evaded a Spiny shell, so I made a little experiment.

In Luigi's Circuit N64, I went behind to get Triple Mushrooms for an item and raced my way to first place without using any of it. By the time the 2nd Lap begins, I saw in the bottom screen a Spiny Shell and just raced my way into the map until the Spiny Shell has been launched. By the time I heard the Spiny Shell warning, I pulled over and waited for the time when the Spiny Shell is done spinning above me and hits downwards, then I hit the L button and evaded the Spiny Shell.

I can therefore conclude that its still possible to evade a Spiny Shell in MK7 with Mushrooms. It may need some practice for the timing though.

Reactions: Mario1992, Marc and Mikaya
That same trick worked for me in Mario Kart 8 Except I had to use the mushroom just before the spiny shell hit the ground like a fraction of a second.

Oddly enough, a few days ago I was racing and I had one spare mushroom left, and I heard of this trick before (this wasn't the first time I attempted it), so I tried it. It all happen so fast, and I believe I dodged the blast radius! I doubt it'll happen again though, I have horrible timing for these kinda tricks.

Yep, I always knew it was possible but I was still very surprised when I dodged my first blue/spiny shell way back in 2012. I still can't do it with a blooper covering my screen, though.

I can't pull it off consistently, but it's a good feeling when you can. My main tactic is to just drop behind second place or get him in the blast radius.

Back