External hard drive not working on wii u?

• Thread starter sonicandres1
  • Start date
sonicandres1

sonicandres1

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Hey I have a WD external hard drive 320 gb i have nothing on it and I want to use it. My aunt game it to me as a gift because she had another WD external hard drive that she used more often and just put the files from the one I have to the one she uses. Every time I insert it to a computer, it vibrates slightly but I can feel it. When plugged into a wii u all it does is makes a clicking sound. I try to format it to the wii u but it keeps telling me that it's checking the usb storage devide, which did not take that long on a usb I once used for it. Is this normal to happen for some external hard drives for the wii u? What should I do?

Alright then, I guess nobody has a solution for this. So I'm assuming absolutely nobody has had issues with their external drives for the console? Wow

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be sure, you're using one with a Y cable right? If not that's your problem

Reactions: sonicandres1
Maybe the hard drive isn't compatible...Here's a list of hard drives that have been tested with the Wii U ans should work. Notice every thing tested is 1 TB to 2 TB, not 320 GB, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Anyway here's the link for compatible hard drives > http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1359

I personally have used a 2 TB Toshiba external hard drive with no issues. However, my brother now has my Wii U and he's not reported any problems either.

Reactions: sonicandres1
Just to be sure, you're using one with a Y cable right? If not that's your problem
I don't think I have a "y cable" with me. It just has a mini usb hole (mini usb to usb cable is what is used to connect to a computer, etc.) Should it have another port? All it has is the one I'm talking about.

Maybe the hard drive isn't compatible...Here's a list of hard drives that have been tested with the Wii U ans should work. Notice every thing tested is 1 TB to 2 TB, not 320 GB, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Anyway here's the link for compatible hard drives > http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1359

I personally have used a 2 TB Toshiba external hard drive with no issues. However, my brother now has my Wii U and he's not reported any problems either.
I'm not too sure if I should even consider to buy a 1 TB external hard drive. I really just needed 320 gb, because that is more than enough storage for me, considering I just wanted to put big update files (xenoblade chronicles x) onto the thing. Not really best for me to buy one now; I want to use it so I'll possibly call nintendo because I'm not willing to pay for a new hard drive for memory I won't use. I'm fixing a laptop at the moment and really don't have a budget for that. Thanks for the reply though, I really appreciate anything right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back