"Eye Tracking" was patented by Nintendo, to enhance gameplay.

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

"The exemplary illustrative non-limiting technology herein enables 3D viewing on conventional 2D displays such as home television sets by tracking a person’s viewpoint. Detecting a player’s viewpoint movement to change the viewing of the displayed object gives the illusion that the object is physically present in three-dimensional space. Viewpoint movement detection can provide collision-related game logic benefits such as allowing a player to dodge projectiles, giving a game character an ability to “see” the player when not behind line-of-sight obstacles, and other advantages." Patent Abstract
Nintendo filed a patent in the US for something called “Eye Tracking Enabling 3D Viewing on Conventional 2D Display”. The filing was only just made public today.

So basically, it makes 3D displays, even on a 2D TV, this is something very similar to this Eye Tracking 3D Viewing technology
Note
: This video is not officially made by Nintendo and has been documented in December, 2007.
Now... Imagine Mario Galaxy with this kind of mechanics ~drools~.
Let me know what you think, does this have something to do with Nintendo's Quality of Life project that they've been working on?

This looks really awesome. It reminds me of the AR Cards and games on the 3DS. Of course this would look much better and be done better on the Wii U because I rather move around a TV screen rather than moving the 3DS around like Face Raiders. I could see some potential for this being used on platformers but I could definitely see potential for this in 1st person shooters.

*Reads article*
That's a great idea ! Who needs the Oculus Rift or the Morpheus anyway ? :p
No seriously, this can be an amazing idea, if the execution is done well. Knowing Nintendo, I guess that we can expect them to use this for the WiiU in order to get amazing 3D WiiU games.

that is cool :) if on mario galaxy that would be awesome and if on zelda the wind waker and zelda skyward sword that would be even better.

Jeez, this would be amazing. Just think of the new possibilities of enhanced gameplay by using this device. Look around in the new Zelda U with this.

*Reads article*
That's a great idea ! Who needs the Oculus Rift or the Morpheus anyway ? :p
No seriously, this can be an amazing idea, if the execution is done well. Knowing Nintendo, I guess that we can expect them to use this for the WiiU in order to get amazing 3D WiiU games.

Absolutely no way this is coming to Wii U. If they even go through with it and use the patent I'll be surprised if it's on their next home console.

I hope that with this eye tracking, the 3D effect on newer 3DSes is improved. Ghosting occurs way too much if you move your head or the console even a tiny bit. Sadly they don't seem to intend to use this for the 3DS.

Reactions: Neofang64
I like it, but like everything else, it will take significant development and refinement before it is even close to anything that can be released. However, if Nintendo designs this system correctly, they could probably overtake Oculus and turn VR into the next Wii Mote revolution.

Back