Favorite Comedy Anime and Manga

• Thread starter Chronal
  • Start date
Chronal

Chronal

egirl no 1
Towns Folk
Hello! So, some of my favorite all times Anime are comedy anime. It's a nice genre to watch after a long day of work/studying; being able to turn your brain off and de-stress with some great jokes just for your viewing pleasure. A good comedy is hard to craft, but when done right, it can have some of the best writing in any given anime season.

My top two comedy anime are Saiki Kusuo and Wasteful Days of High School Girls. Saiki K is an anime that parodies anime itself, with each character taking up the role of a particular trope. Saiki plays the trope of the overpowered MC. It's not afraid to take the scenarios up to 11 for each jokes, but is also surprisingly grounded in the rules of it's world and it's characters. Anime parodies have been done to death and could be stale, but Saiki K stays fresh throughout it's current 3 season run, introducing creative scenarios and new characters that pretty much always solicit a laugh.

Wasteful Days of High School Girls is exactly as it sounds. It's an anime about the lives of a bunch of High School Girls. But wow, does it not have one of the best casts I've ever seen in a comedy anime. Each character's "shtick" is both a trait you've definitely met someone like in real life and something that translates perfectly to the comedy style of the show. It's quick paced compared to other comedies, with more subtle humor rather than large punchlines. It's definitely a gem I don't nearly see talked about enough.

So, what are your favorite comedy animes? What do you think of the genre as a whole? And what are your thoughts on my two favorite comedy shows if you've seen them?

Reactions: Mizunil
I watched most of Saiki K and I really enjoyed it! I found that most anime I watched have some fantasy element in them, even the comedy ones. My favourite comedy anime would have to be Konosuba! It is kind of like your average isekai but I really enjoyed the humour and funny plotwists in the first episode especially for new watchers.

Reactions: Chronal
I watched most of Saiki K and I really enjoyed it! I found that most anime I watched have some fantasy element in them, even the comedy ones. My favourite comedy anime would have to be Konosuba! It is kind of like your average isekai but I really enjoyed the humour and funny plotwists in the first episode especially for new watchers.
Konosuba is an AMAZING example of a parody anime done right! Parody is really one of the hardest genre of comedies to pull off, as seen by the amount of Parody Isekai's that came after Konosuba that... fell quite flat (Anyone remember the Mom Isekai? Yeah...) Isekai ain't my thing, but I still am able to enjoy Konosuba because of it's comedy.

Pop Team Epic, while a short series is incredibly hilarious.

Daily Lives of High School Boys was a really funny anime series. So many different zany situations the guys get into, like trying on one of their sister’s school uniforms and being dumb, then getting caught.

Konosuba is an awesome comedy series as well. I tend to gravitate toward isekai series, and this one is able to be an isekai while also being very aware that it is one. I like all the jokes, and most importantly I like the characters. Too often a series will be great but the main character or some of the side characters will be insufferable. This makes it hard to enjoy the series as much as I want to.

I too had an affinity for Saiki as well for a good while. I was never able to find the time to finish it, but every episode was extremely funny for me. Saiki himself has a good personality, serious without being a killjoy. All his friends crack me up especially though. It also had the effect of making me look into where I could try coffee jelly, which is Saiki’s favorite dessert.

Grand Blue is a fairly recent anime that has a lot of humor to it. Tons of drinking, jokes about drinking, and a surprising lack of diving for a diving anime. In fact, a running joke among fans is it’s hard trying to describe the show to people because it’s advertised as an anime about diving but it’s really a comedy series. Whatever it is, the humor is great.

Asobi Asobase stands out to me as well. Three high school girls just hanging out, but the situations and jokes are hilarious. The difference in the sweet pleasant opening and the death metal ending of the anime illustrates the interesting mix of tones the show has.

Back