FE X SMT

• Thread starter Rath
  • Start date
Rath

Rath

Traveler
Towns Folk
Gather around friends and let me tell you a story, a story about a gaming franchise with dozens of games and even more iconic characters.
I speak of Final Fantasy.
So most of you should know that Final Fantasy got its name because it was supposed to be a last ditch effort by its developer as he was going to end his carrier if it failed, hence the "Final" in the name.
Needless to say it has been anything but the end as it has gotten a lot of new games in the past few decades.

Now lets come to FE:13 or what we call FE:Awakening, if you didn't know fire emblem wasn't that popular in the west even after the inclusion of marth,roy and ike in SSB games(Roy's game didn't even get an official release). Much like Final fantasy,Fire emblem awakening was the last game planned for the west, a last ditch effort and service to loyal fans.It has since become one of the best games to grace the 3ds with its presence and now the west is getting a sequel in the form of FE:Fates . I believe that much like FF, FE has gained a second wind and will now continue for a very long time.

Main Topic-

Most people start to experiment when they know that its okay to mess up, trial and error is how humanity has improved. The entire issue with this game is that it tried to hard and used the wrong formula. SMT is an amazing franchise that we all love to play, an rpg with compelling story and dark themes etc, while fire emblem is filled with whimsical characters, tactical gameplay etc.

By definition its not a terrible match, but it did turn out to be one for the basic reason that once FE:Awakening took off and the deal for a crossover came the devs jumped on it and produced this thing.
it was rushed,had a lot more fan service than what either game provides and the elements of both games were not blended as smoothly as they could have.
The crossover had a lot of potential and that is why it is sad to see it this way.

Yes, Fire Emblem Awakening was going to be the last game in the series if it "did not manage to sell 1 million copies" and by some divine luck of the goddess Naga it sold well due to the developers piling on every bit of gameplay they could find to make the game worth it to the few who bought it. Awakening was meant to be the end, but it instead was an "awakening" to a dying series, the fanbase was rebuilt from the ground up and now the odds of FE continuing for years and years to come is very likily. However, they did indeed rush the crossover, which is disapointing, and i do belive it will hurt the sales of both series.

Back