Ferrothorn in-depth review

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
ferrothorn_by_roky320-d5xhuhp.png

Presenting Ferrothorn, the most annoying Steel type to be ever introduced.
Type: Steel & Grass
This spiky tank will cause your team a lot of trouble. It has the ability Iron Barbs, which reduces the HP of an opponent who lands a Physical attack on a Ferrothorn by 18 %. This ability, combined with the item King's Rock, can reduce an opponent's HP by 25%, severely crippling them.
Ferrothorn is also able to learn Stealth Rock, which makes him another very annoying Pokemon to deal with. He can easily switch in on any Pokemon except for Fire types, set up Stealth Rock/Spikes, and absorb a ton of damage.
It has 9 resistances and 1 immunity, that make it a very reliable switch in to physical attackers and Poison types.
The most reliable set for Ferrothorn currently is:
Item: Leftovers
Adamant nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/1
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp.Def
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Curse
Leech Seed
This set allows Ferrothorn to easily tank most physical and special Fire attackers, gives it 2 forms of recovery and Gyro ball can easily OHKO faster Pokemon like Crobat/Greninja/Noivern.
Even though Ferrothorn is 4x weak to fire, it's extremely good defenses and recovery options make it a very hard to knock out Pokemon.
What are your opinions on Ferrothorn? Do you like it or do you dislike it?
Let me know in the replies below.

He's very slow and a great candidate for a Trick Room team. He can also get very annoying if he has Thunder Wave (won a multi battle that way) so other Pokemon can sweep easy. Magic Bounce is a good counter for him as well as any special attacker with a Fire or Fighting type move (it's two only weaknesses). I think Skarmory might be a little better however because it has even better typing and can eliminate hazards on its own side as well as heal pretty fast.

He's very slow and a great candidate for a Trick Room team. He can also get very annoying if he has Thunder Wave (won a multi battle that way) so other Pokemon can sweep easy. Magic Bounce is a good counter for him as well as any special attacker with a Fire or Fighting type move (it's two only weaknesses). I think Skarmory might be a little better however because it has even better typing and can eliminate hazards on its own side as well as heal pretty fast.
Yes, Skarmory is pretty fast, it also has access to Whirlwind to spread the Spikes/Stealth Rock.
However, I think that Ferrothorn has better overall defenses and tanking capabilities. I have not had much problem with Skarmory like I have had with Ferrothorn.
Trick Room is useful for Ferrothorn, and Thunder Wave is purely for trolling.
Trick Room destroys the purpose of Gyro Ball, that is a very good move for faster Pokemon that threaten it.

Ahh one of my favorite Pokemons lol It both has my 2 favorite types in the game lol Anyways, I've been using Ferrothorn a lot and is always in my teams lol But I use a completely different set though lol

Penny (Ferrothorn)(Female)
Role: Support, Status-Inducer, Wall-Stall
IV 31/31/31/31/31/31
EV HP 252 Def 128 Spdef 128
Nature: Impish
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Moves:
Thunder Wave
Leech Seed
Protect
Iron Head

My ParaFlinching Pokemon that has won many battles lol With 31 IVs, he can make use of ParaFlinch with other slower Pokemons Thunder Wave to slow down your Opponent's Pokemons for your other Pokemons to take care of. It spreads Paralysis on your opponent's team and is very annoying to take out because of its naturally high Defenses and Attack. Even though speed shouldn't be a factor to this Pokemon, but, with speed in its IV, ParaFlinching is possible even with a slow Pokemon like Ferrothorn.

Reactions: Marc
Ahh one of my favorite Pokemons lol It both has my 2 favorite types in the game lol Anyways, I've been using Ferrothorn a lot and is always in my teams lol But I use a completely different set though lol

Penny (Ferrothorn)(Female)
Role: Support, Status-Inducer, Wall-Stall
IV 31/31/31/31/31/31
EV HP 252 Def 128 Spdef 128
Nature: Impish
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Moves:
Thunder Wave
Leech Seed
Protect
Iron Head

My ParaFlinching Pokemon that has won many battles lol With 31 IVs, he can make use of ParaFlinch with other slower Pokemons Thunder Wave to slow down your Opponent's Pokemons for your other Pokemons to take care of. It spreads Paralysis on your opponent's team and is very annoying to take out because of its naturally high Defenses and Attack. Even though speed shouldn't be a factor to this Pokemon, but, with speed in its IV, ParaFlinching is possible even with a slow Pokemon like Ferrothorn.
That's the same set I use, except for Sassy Nature and Instead of iron Head, Stealth rock, Instead of thunder wave, Gyro ball.
My speed at level 50 is 31, so it works well.

i already have a SR setter lol my Skarmory lol so I think TWave is a great move for my Ferrothorn lol

Reactions: 532
I've been using this Ferrothorn set for a while:

Ferrothorn@Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
EVS-252 HP 128 Defense 128 Sp. Defense
IVs-0 Speed
Relaxed/Sassy
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rocks
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip/Spikes/Thunder Wave

If you don't like my set, send me some feedback about what could be wrong.

I've been using this Ferrothorn set for a while:

Ferrothorn@Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
EVS-252 HP 128 Defense 128 Sp. Defense
IVs-0 Speed
Relaxed/Sassy
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rocks
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip/Spikes/Thunder Wave

If you don't like my set, send me some feedback about what could be wrong.
That's a nice set. I replaced my Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball with Toxic and now it is a pure TankStaller. I use Leftovers for recovery and Leech Seed also helps me recover a lot. There has been a match where I was down to around 15 HP. I used Leech Seed and Protect. I recovered with my leftovers, and Protect blocked the Attack. Leech seed gave me HP too, and I had more than half of my health back after around 3 turns.

That's a nice set. I replaced my Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball with Toxic and now it is a pure TankStaller. I use Leftovers for recovery and Leech Seed also helps me recover a lot. There has been a match where I was down to around 15 HP. I used Leech Seed and Protect. I recovered with my leftovers, and Protect blocked the Attack. Leech seed gave me HP too, and I had more than half of my health back after around 3 turns.
Wow, I got to try out the TankStaller technique. Seems pretty interesting. So if I am going to use this set, I guess I got to get 31 Speed IVs since I don't have Gyro Ball. I guess I got to replace something for protect too...

You draw this, if you did you have talent on drawing

Wow, I got to try out the TankStaller technique. Seems pretty interesting. So if I am going to use this set, I guess I got to get 31 Speed IVs since I don't have Gyro Ball. I guess I got to replace something for protect too...
Protect is one of the most useful move on Ferrothorn. You can recover without being hit, so it works wonders.
You draw this, if you did you have talent on drawing
I did not draw this, a user on DeviantART did that picture. I can do good anime drawings, though.

Ok but uf you can fraw why don't you post you're pic in a thread

Ok but uf you can fraw why don't you post you're pic in a thread
I'm too lazy to draw, and I am not into it anymore.

ah ok what do you like doing

Back