Fire Emblem: Fates Class, Skill pool and Reclassing explanation

• Thread starter Blue Knight
  • Start date
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Water Spirit
Towns Folk
Hey everyone o/

With the rise of Fates online play, Pedia will perhaps have it's own Fates online competitions. But given the advent of things like cheating, skill hacking and skill buying, rules will need to be set up, and for rules to be set up, the ones setting the rules need to understand a few facts of the game, and explaining those facts of the game is what I'll do right now.

First, my terminology.

-Stat: A stat is an attribute a character has, a character has different stats, HP, Strenght, Magic, Speed, Skill, Luck, Defense and Resistance are the battle stats.

Those stats affect how a character performs in battle, as follows:

HP: also known as Hit Points, those indicate how much damage a character can take, if it reaches zero, the character dies.

Strenght: or Str, it indicates how much damage you do with physical weapons like Swords/Katanas and Lances/Naginatas.

Magic: or Mag, it indicates how much damage you do with Tomes/Scrolls, Dragonstones and magical weapons like the Bolt Naginata.

Skill: or Skl, it influences Hit rate and Critical Hit rate

Speed: or Spd, it influences Avoid, and if you have 4 points or more higher than your opponent, you attack twice.

Luck: or Lck, it influences Avoid and Critical Avoid

Defense: or Def, it mitigates damage received by physical weapons

Resistance: it mitigates the damage received by Tomes/Scrolls, Dragonstones and magical weapons.

Some stats, mostly Skl or Lck, also affect Skills activation.

Now, you know those are the stats, but how do you rise them? Well, obviously, by leveling up or consuming stat rising items. Consuming Stat rising items is straightforward, they add a fixed amount to that particular stat, leveling up is different, and I'll explain it soon.

-Growth Rate: Now, upon level up some stats may rise right? Well, whether they rise or not depends on the character's Growth Rates, each character has a built-in % chance to rise a stat on level up, so, if a character has a 80% Strenght growth ratr, that means that on level up there's a 80% chance of giving +1 to Strenght.
Growth Rates are divided by Base Growths, and Class Growths.

Base Growths are the character's own internal growth rates, those are fixes and never change. Base growths are added to the Class Growths, which depend on which class the character is currently in. The result are the actual Growth Rates.

Note that since growth rates are a percentage chance, it means there's a random element to it, so not all units grow the same between games even if they are the same unit, it depends on luck usually.

-Base Stat: those are the stats the character starts with upon recruitment, and, like growths, are divided into Character Base and Class Base.

Character bases are the characters absolute bases, which are fixed and never change, they are added to the Class bases to give you the actual base stats.

-Stat caps: now, one of the most important factors, at least for postgame and online multiplayer, are stat caps, this indicates how much can a stat grow on a specific character, once it reaches the cap, it cannot rise anymore, even with stat boosting items.
Stat caps are defined by the Class's caps, which are then further modified by the character own modifiers. So, for example, if a class has a Str cap of 30, and the character on that class has a Str modifier of -1, the the actual stat cap for Str would be 29.

-Level and level cap: a level indicates how much experience the unit has, unlike other games, level is less an indicator of powee and more of a limiter of how much the unit can grow. Experience starts at zero, and upon reaching 100 you get a level up, during which you can gain stats depending on the character's growth and caps, and depending on the level, a new Skill. The level cap indicates how much the unit can grow, how high a level they can reach, and upon hitting it the unit can no longer level up, and thus cannot get more stats (except by stat raising items) nor learn more skills.
The level cap can be raised by using an Eternal Seal, those raise the level cap by 5, but only on an advanced class, with a total level limit of 99.

-Weapon Ranks: they are the weapon "icons" on a character, and indicate whether or not the character can use that specific weapon type. Weapon ranks can go from E to S, but how high the rank can go depends on the class, so having a class use only a single weapon is generally no longer as bad as in other FE games compared to using a class that can use many weapons, like the Master of Arms (A-rank swords and lances and B-rank Axes) vs the Swordmaster (S-rank swords)

Now, leaving stats behind, let's start with classes.

Classes come in 2 groups, base class and advanced class.

A base class is as it sounds, a basic class that is meant to pave the way to advanced classes, simply having a base class means that character can gain access to it's promotions with a few exceptions.

An advanced class is the result of using a Master Seal on a base class, advanced classes have generally higher stat caps (stat growths remain mostly the same usually with a few % here and there, nothing big) and higher weapon ranks/more available weapons.

Azura's class, Songstress, is different since it doesn't promote, but has a level cap of 40 to make up for it and learns the same amount of skills as a base class+it's promotion.

-Skills: not to be confused with the Skl stat, Skills are abilities gained from classes at specific levels, a unit has a Personal Skill, which is unique to them and cannot be removed nor changed, and 5 slots for active skills, which can be swapped in or out as you want as long as you've learned a particular skill, and a skill pool, which is where all your skills go when you don't have them active. Skills have different effects and uses, some are Trigger Skills, which activate during battle depending on a percentage chance usually based on a stat (usually Lck or Skl) Astra, for example, has a trigger rate of (Skl stat) x0.5. Others just boost a stat or have other effects.

More later :p

Reactions: 3dsatackman
Carrying on.

I will now get to the main act, promoting and reclassing.

Promotion means going from a base class to an advanced class, upon promotion, level is reset to 1, but you can only promote once and cannot downgrade back to a base class, ever.

When promoted, if you lack any Skill from your base class, you will automatically gain them by leveling up.

Reclassing is, basically, changing your class (shocking isn't it?)

However, there are 4 different methods of reclassing.

The first one is through the Heart Seal. The class a unit starts as is know as their primary class, but units have 1 (a few units have 2) secondary class, which is built in and depend on the character in question, in case of Corrin, the class you select at the beginning of the game is his secondary class. Simply using the Heart Seal is enough to reclass into them, or if the unit is promoted, their promotions.

The second one is through the Friendship Seal. A unit can have one A+ Support with any Same-Gender unit they can support with, this A+ Support is one-way and even if unit X has an A+ Support with unit Y, unit Y can have an A+ Support with unit Z. Getting an A+ Support allows that unit to reclass to their A+ Support's primary class (unless it's a unique class, in which case they gain access to their secondary class).

Thridly, there's the Partner Seal. When two units achieve S-Support, they can reclass into each other's primary class (again, unless it's a special class, in which case they gain access to their secondary class)

And finally, there are the class scrolls, scrolls that reclass a character into a specific class, those are DLC only.

Next up is, Skill pool, learning and buying.

By skill pool i refer to the amount skills a unit has access to at any given time, a unit is able to freely swap in and out their skills.

To learn a skill, a unit must level up to a certain level on the class they want the skill of, as mentioned before, advanced classes can give you their base class's skills if you do not have them yet, they are learned in the same order as they would have if you learned them on the base class, and only one per level up.

Another way to gain skills is through Skill buying. In order to buy skills, you need to defeat an oponent on their My Castle with no handicas, you'll be given the chance to buy skills from them for a price in gold.

Something to notice, however, is that you'll only be able to buy skills from a unit you have, and the skills you buy will go to your version of that unit.
So if you buy a skill from someone else's Sakura, your own Sakura will be the one to gain the skills.

As a finisher, I'll talk about weapon forging, off topic yes, but useful nonetheless.

You forge weapons on the smithy, to do it, you need two copies of the weapon and a certain amount of specific materials depending on the weapon type. All stat bonuses are granted at once, and you can forge them up to 7 times.
The bonuses go to Might, Hit Rate and Critical Hit Rate (if applicable).

That is all, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help :3

Reactions: 3dsatackman
so if i made someone like hinata into a master of arms can i change him into a swordsmaster then back so i can get the astra ability?

so if i made someone like hinata into a master of arms can i change him into a swordsmaster then back so i can get the astra ability?
Yes, as long as you have enough Heart Seals that is. One reclass requires one Heart Seal

ok thanks i wasnt sure because i heard that the reclassing isnt as in-depth as awakening

ok thanks i wasnt sure because i heard that the reclassing isnt as in-depth as awakening
Nah, I'd says it's even more complex and in-depth than Awakening's, in Awakening it basically went like this:

-Get a Second Seal
-Use it on a character
-Pick a class
-PROFIT

k

how does reclassing work with dlc jobs

The specific DLC gives you an item, you can use that item to reclass into the specific class.

how does reclassing work with dlc jobs

Oh, it also otherwise works like a nornal reclass, no level reset

So I am a complete noob to fire emblem in general fates is my first. So what your telling me is my ninja can change into something that is not a ninja? I know that's probably wrong. Or is it a the base class is whatever you got the unit as and then you add another class on top of it?

This game is vary confusing, and I don't play simple games.

So I am a complete noob to fire emblem in general fates is my first. So what your telling me is my ninja can change into something that is not a ninja? I know that's probably wrong. Or is it a the base class is whatever you got the unit as and then you add another class on top of it?

This game is vary confusing, and I don't play simple games.
Yes, the base class is the one your character starts with.

A character naturally has 1 or 2 more classes they can always reclass to, and they can gain more classes by reaching A+ Support with a same-gender ally, or S support with an opposite-gender ally.

So yes, your Ninja (say, Kaze) can reclass to something that is not a Ninja by using either of these 3 methods using the appropriate Seal (Heart Seal, Friendship Seal and Partner Seal)

Yes, the base class is the one your character starts with.

A character naturally has 1 or 2 more classes they can always reclass to, and they can gain more classes by reaching A+ Support with a same-gender ally, or S support with an opposite-gender ally.

So yes, your Ninja (say, Kaze) can reclass to something that is not a Ninja by using either of these 3 methods using the appropriate Seal (Heart Seal, Friendship Seal and Partner Seal)
Does reclassing change the class completely or does it alow for the skills from the previous class to be present aswell? ill use bravely default you have the main class then you have a sub class, both of these allow for use of weapons and abilities from both classes. so I guess the questoin is do the scrolls completely change the class or does it give a sub-class?

Does reclassing change the class completely or does it alow for the skills from the previous class to be present aswell? ill use bravely default you have the main class then you have a sub class, both of these allow for use of weapons and abilities from both classes. so I guess the questoin is do the scrolls completely change the class or does it give a sub-class?
Skilla are learned permanently, there's no "job system" or anything of the sort. You never lose skills you learn

Skilla are learned permanently, there's no "job system" or anything of the sort. You never lose skills you learn
Ah okay thanks.

And who made your signature?

The specific DLC gives you an item, you can use that item to reclass into the specific class.

Oh, it also otherwise works like a nornal reclass, no level reset
yeah i know that i just didnt know two things one if it stops the diffrent reclass skills and two its max level since i have ryoma as a dread knight and hes at level 38-39 and also what if i max out before reclassing am i screwed and need to pay 12000 gold for a level break item before i am able to reclass and get skills?

yeah i know that i just didnt know two things one if it stops the diffrent reclass skills and two its max level since i have ryoma as a dread knight and hes at level 38-39 and also what if i max out before reclassing am i screwed and need to pay 12000 gold for a level break item before i am able to reclass and get skills?
Level cap is character specific, normally it's 20 (on an advanced class) and using the Eternal Seal item gives you 5 more levels to reach, ending with a level cap of 99.

If you reach level 99 you'll have to buy skills online, unfortunately.

Back