Homebrew First steps towards 3DS Homebrew and possibly free games

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
*NOTE: I am not affiliated with any of these Homebrew devs and I do NOT support piracy in any way. This thread is solely for your information.
So, if you have seen Neimod's work, you can see that he found a way to edit the live RAM of the 3DS, and this allows to isolate bugs in the 3DS operating system. Editing live RAM would allow you to run Homebrew apps (eg: Emulators) on your 3DS. Homebrew are apps and games not licensed by the company itself, and these apps are made by developers not affiliated with the company itself. They don't have games/apps of quality as good as quality as the company's original games, but some really apps are really useful. If you know the Wii's Homebrew channel, you would understand me.
3ds.jpg

As you can see, Neimod has done the first step to 3DS Homebrew: Creating a channel name.
Now, there are many people who think this is fake because there is no proof or evidence enough to prove that this is real, but give these guys some time and we will see what they are able to make of this newly found information.

Fiercewaffle has also released some more Hombrew development tools and if you have some advanced knowledge of Python/C++/ASM and would like to try the ROPloader and RAMdumper exploit, feel free to download these apps (listed). (I am NOT responsible for any damage to your 3DS system)
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-development.360646/
What do you guys think? Are you happy with 3DS Homebrew or would you leave Homebrew untouched?
Let me know by leaving a reply down below.

That's great if we can now load homebrews on a 3DS without the illegal hacking stuff*! Maybe we will finally get some (un)signed emulators to work, and have some little games to come on the 3DS, just like the DS and the PSP !

However, I hope that's not gonna be used for evil purposes (such as piracy, save hacking [Pokemon, I'm looking at you]) or that kind of stuff...

*Note: I have only heard of it, I don't have one, and certainly not looking to have one ! I'll support Nintendo !

Reactions: 3dsatackman and 532
I'm not gonna touch it for several reasons. For one, if something happened to my 3DS, all my downloads would be lost!

Nintendo's system for restoring games is hardly the best, but they certainly wouldn't if you had that installed on the 3DS. When I think of the vast # of eShop games, Virtual Console titles, DSiWare, etc. that I own ... definitely not for me!

Reactions: 3dsatackman and 532
That's great if we can now load homebrews on a 3DS without the illegal hacking stuff*! Maybe we will finally get some (un)signed emulators to work, and have some little games to come on the 3DS, just like the DS and the PSP !

However, I hope that's not gonna be used for evil purposes (such as piracy, save hacking [Pokemon, I'm looking at you]) or that kind of stuff...

*Note: I have only heard of it, I don't have one, and certainly not looking to have one ! I'll support Nintendo !
Yes, exactly I know some Homebrew apps are illegal, but if you know how many sales there were for the PSP and DS when they were hacked, i don't think Nintendo should stop these developers. If they are going to lose some major amount, though then they should stop them. The Wii has USBLoaders, Game cheats and useful apps. It is not going to be very long until the 3DS is also modded.
I'm not gonna touch it for several reasons. For one, if something happened to my 3DS, all my downloads would be lost!

Nintendo's system for restoring games is hardly the best, but they certainly wouldn't if you had that installed on the 3DS. When I think of the vast # of eShop games, Virtual Console titles, DSiWare, etc. that I own ... definitely not for me!
Not necessarily, Homebrew won't delete your apps and games, but I would also not take the risk. I have Pokemon X downloaded on the 3DS and I would never leave it, seeing how many hours and effort I've put into it. If they would add an option for backup in the future, it would be useful.

I meant if my 3DS just broke in general - homebrew would eliminate any chance I had of getting my downloads restored from Nintendo.

An account system can't come soon enough!

Reactions: 532
Remember, that stuff you posted is now only available for the FM 4.5, when the exploit exist.
Anyways, Neimod was able to hack FM 6.xx but he doesn't support piracy...

I still don't like the idea of homebrew... Online cheaters would the main problem for me.

Remember, that stuff you posted is now only available for the FM 4.5, when the exploit exist.
Anyways, Neimod was able to hack FM 6.xx but he doesn't support piracy...

I still don't like the idea of homebrew... Online cheaters would the main problem for me.
Umm Homebrew doesn't necessarily mean online multiplayer cheaters, It means the free apps and fan made programs that could benefit the 3DS.

Umm Homebrew doesn't necessarily mean online multiplayer cheaters, It means the free apps and fan made programs that could benefit the 3DS.

Hope that they'll make some Flipnote-like homebrews ! I remember somebody once showed me one on a DSLite, and it was a good alternative to Flipnote, so it would be good to have one on the 3DS (Given the high chance of getting Flipnote 3D on 3DS actually...)

Hope that they'll make some Flipnote-like homebrews ! I remember somebody once showed me one on a DSLite, and it was a good alternative to Flipnote, so it would be good to have one on the 3DS (Given the high chance of getting Flipnote 3D on 3DS actually...)
Yes! Flipnote would be awesome, and they should also develop Skype for the 3DS, I mean the 3DS has a front/back camera, wonderful internet and everything including power to run Skype. The PSP had Skype, and the 3DS is 2.5X More powerful that that.

Yes! Flipnote would be awesome, and they should also develop Skype for the 3DS, I mean the 3DS has a front/back camera, wonderful internet and everything including power to run Skype. The PSP had Skype, and the 3DS is 2.5X More powerful that that.

Actually, only the PSP-2004/3004/E-1004 (Slim/Go/Street) had Skype. But would Microsoft allow the use of their software (since Microsoft bought Skype) on a Nintendo console ? If that's allowed, well, there's no problem about it.
PS: Just remembered the name of the animation homebrew I was talking about earlier. It's called Animate! or something like that. They should really make one for the 3DS (we would be able to make animations !).

Reactions: Reece and 532
Actually, only the PSP-2004/3004/E-1004 (Slim/Go/Street) had Skype. But would Microsoft allow the use of their software (since Microsoft bought Skype) on a Nintendo console ? If that's allowed, well, there's no problem about it.
PS: Just remembered the name of the animation homebrew I was talking about earlier. It's called Animate! or something like that. They should really make one for the 3DS (we would be able to make animations !).

There is Skype on PSVita so I can't find a reason on why...
Oh yeah... Nintendo don't want to pay Microsoft maybe?

Remember those two started to have problems again due Rare...
Microsoft is the reason Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3 were removed from the Wii Ware.

There is Skype on PSVita so I can't find a reason on why...
Oh yeah... Nintendo don't want to pay Microsoft maybe?

Remember those two started to have problems again due Rare...
Microsoft is the reason Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3 were removed from the Wii Ware.

Rare... They actually made good games, before Microsoft bought them (because now, you don't hear that name anywhere else). As for Skype, yes, maybe Nintendo don't want to pay Microsoft, explaining why we don't get a signed Skype application on WiiU/3DS.

But if the application is not found by Microsoft or Nintendo, there's no problem!

what are homebrew games? Demos or mini games created by players. I have seen a couple of those such as tetris and pikg pong

what are homebrew games? Demos or mini games created by players. I have seen a couple of those such as tetris and pikg pong
Homebrew games are games not made by any official company. (The name says it all, Home-brewed) They are made by fans of the system, or indie developers. They do not necessarily have lower quality, and some homebrew games are high quality. Homebrew apps can lead to Emulators and enhancements of the system.

Emulators on a 3DS does sound pretty cool I must admit! But I don't really want in on any part of illegal-ness so I think I'll just go to the store and buy some video games thanks :p

Back