From a New Player to New Players

• Thread starter Rustley21
  • Start date
Rustley21

Rustley21

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
Hi everyone,

I you are like me and new to MH (MH4U being the first in the MH series I've owned) then you've undoubtedly run into similar issues, that I have. I've been at a loss recently since I haven't been able to progress through the game as smoothly as I've liked. Thankfully, there exists the wonderful rescource of the interwebs!!

I've spent a fair amount of time searching the web for help, what I now--you'll know in a fraction of the time!

This thread will contain pointers, for new players--even veterans might learn a thing or two! xD

First up: Key quests

I've mentioned this in the MH progress thread, but I'll add a few details I omitted.
-Key quests are mandatory quests which will progress you through the game.

This is true for both Guild and village quests.

-Guild quests (for ranking up HR) have the extra benefit of something called HR points. I know you've seen someone with an HR >100 already--this doesn't mean that they did 100 urgent missions (i think). When you complete some guild quests that are not Key Quests you earn HR points, those stack up until after HR 7--then you're usually immediately bumped from HR7 to around HR20+

Before this get's too long, the list of Key Quests is here: http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2015/...quests-technobubble-mh4g-mh4u-guide/24031323/

Happy Hunting!

**Veteran Players who actually know what's going on, please correct me if I make a mistake--I'm only saying what I have come to understand :)

Next up: Online Etiquette

Yes, this exists, and is fairly important when playing with others.
1. When someone has mounted a monster--DO NOT attack it!
-Attacking said monster will cause it to fling the mounted hunter off of it--rendering the mounting fairly useless
2. If you join a gathering Hall--DO NOT post your own quest right off the bat--ask first, if they say no, then it's a no.
3. During a hunt, don't chill in another area while your teammates fight the monster.
4. When using Large weapons (Hammer, Greatsword, Longsword etc)--positioning is everything
-These weapons can Launch, Trip and knockback your teammates--don't just go in guns blazing and ruin powerful attacks other hunters might be prepping.
5. Last life on a hunt, unless it is agreed upon, staying clear of the monster isn't always the best solution--no one should be annoyed at you for trying. If it is agreed upon however--stay away.

These are the ones I thought were most important-- #1 is paramount for me. There is a youtube video on etiquette on youtube

Happy Hunting

About HR points, even key quests give them. So they count towards that jump, too.

Reactions: Rustley21
:O :eek: I didn't know Monster Hunter was so complicated :3 I might get Monster Hunter after I get ssb4 for my Birthday or something! Also, what happens if you stay in another area whist your teammates are fighting? :nailbiting:

:O :eek: I didn't know Monster Hunter was so complicated :3 I might get Monster Hunter after I get ssb4 for my Birthday or something! Also, what happens if you stay in another area whist your teammates are fighting? :nailbiting:
They get mad at you and kick you out.

Yup...or they should at least since you wouldn't be helping. I go into the next area if I'm about to die--only to heal up, then you go back in!

Hmm these are some nice tips to know because the whole Monster Hunter game to me relies on the teamwork and sync between your teammates in my opinion . You did point out a few factors so I found these tips kinda useful if I were to ever get the game :D

Another tip.

You probably all know that during cutscenes before a battle, there is a skip button that skips the cutscene (orly?). It also appears when you send hunters to hunt in the hall so that you don't have to look at them say "good bye" then walk during 10 useless seconds.

But did you know it also appears when the "main objective complete" pop up shows ? You know, that moment when you just killed the big monster, and all you want to do is carve but you don't manage to control your character because of that cutscene moving the camera. Well, press the skip button at this moment (same place, top right corner of the bottom screen) and you'll be able to move easily again :D

Really useful when you have two monsters or a huge one (Dah'ren Mohran or Dalamadur) to carve. I only noticed that today though because we usually don't look at the bottom screen when we are finishing a monster -.-

The moment when you get launched / or launch someone with a Great Sword and they use the Jump attack to cancel the animation and mount the monster by accident. It's one of the greatest aspects I've ever known as a Great Sword user...
Oh, and also make sure to skip the cut scene, I hate having to watch the exact same cut scene again and again...

The moment when you get launched / or launch someone with a Great Sword and they use the Jump attack to cancel the animation and mount the monster by accident. It's one of the greatest aspects I've ever known as a Great Sword user...
Oh, and also make sure to skip the cut scene, I hate having to watch the exact same cut scene again and again...
Please don't ever launch me... Launching may be useful in some situations, but in order for it to be effective, it takes coordination that most don't have. And, if you have an IG in the group, just let them do their job, don't try to do it for them unless they suck and aren't tryin to mount at all.

Back