Gabe Reviews: Luigi's Mansion (2001) Friday the 13th Special

• Thread starter Necromancer540
  • Start date
Necromancer540

Necromancer540

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
What's up guys? Gabe here again and today is Friday June 13, 2014: aka Friday the 13th, and what will I do here? I'm going to review Luigi's Mansion for the GameCube. I cannot review a game like this unless it's on a scary day, such as Halloween or Friday the 13th.
Luigi's Mansion:

Release Date : September 14, 2001
PLOT:
Our good fellow, Luigi has received a letter in the mail saying he won a mansion in a contest. But there is one problem, Luigi did not enter any contests. Luigi tells his brother Mario about this and Mario wanted to check out the mansion in case of any traps set by their enemies. However Mario has not returned and Luigi goes in to search for his older brother. Upon entering the mansion, Luigi comes across ghosts, and an old man named Professor E. Gadd, who studies ghosts, and apparently has a lab near the mansion (which just appeared). Luigi tells E. Gadd about the situation he is in with finding Mario. E. Gadd agrees to help Luigi and lends him the Poltergust 3000.
Gameplay
Basically, what you are doing in each area is finding the portrait ghosts E. Gadd has lost and collecting Boos so you can find Mario. The ghosts love the dark so much, they don't want one bit of light in the room. so when you shine your flashlight on them that's your chance to attack!
Controls
Control Stick: Move Luigi
C Stick: Aim Flashlight
A button: Interact
B button: Turn flashlight off
X button : Look around
Y button : Map
Z: button: Ghost Progress
R Button: Vacuum
L Button : Weapon

Most of the times you will have to figure out what gallery ghosts do to get their heart to show up, I may post a strategy guide of my own later for those who are interested.

Money:
Around the mansion you will encounter A LOT of bills coins, and Diamonds and gems
there are certain ghosts you can catch to get money however they are only one tries, meaning if you miss them they are gone for good. Golden Mice are the same thing except 1: most of them appear randomly and 2 if you spot a cheese slice use X button to search and make them appear. the cash you collected will reward you with a ranking if you collected enough cash

FRAMES:
When you capture a ghost portrait depending on how many and how big the pearls you get from that ghost are will judge what portrait you will get. Small pearls are for bronze(get by depleting 10 health in one hit) Silver frames are for med pear;s (Deplete 50 in one shot) and Big Pearls are for Gold (Deplete 90 in one shot)

BOOS:
These ghostly creatures are the ones who freed E. Gadd's paintings as soon as you find their hiding spot you can use the boo radar. The Boo Radar only works in lit rooms when Boos are hiding behind furniture, most boos are plenty weak, but later on in the game they may have health up to 300 or even 500 and while you try to vacuum them they will try to leave the room you are currently in, in hopes to find another dark area to hide in.
BOSSES:
When you reach the end of an area you will encounter a boss, these bosses can be a bit well, I cant say exciting but I will say fun and original? Take Chauncey for example when you walk in he's a sleeping baby you rock the horsey he wakes up wanting to play, you toss a ball at him HE SHRINKS YOU AND TRIES TO CRUSH YOU!!!

My only real complaint is that this game is too short, I mean, the game was good but had only 4 areas, it wasn't until 12 years later when its sequel arrived that I was satisfied, with length, for a short game like this I had to find a good challenge to keep me occupied and keep playing.
But I think a GOOD Challenge to try out is going for rank A and All Gold portraits

FINAL SCORE:
9/10 AMAZING

+Finally a good spinoff!
+Good use of strategy with ghosts
+Luigi's expressions
- Too short

Reactions: 18
Nice review :) It's one of my favourite GameCube games. :D

this was a nice read, thanks for sharing this review with us. ^^

very descriptive and in-depth. A decent attempt at a review. ;)

never actually played this game (or even the others). :p

Back