Game Design for WiiU/3DS-style systems

• Thread starter Nuke
  • Start date
Nuke

Nuke

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
If you had to make a new game for a system with dual displays, one of which is a touch display, without copying another game (Use some creativity. Don't just copy another title 90+%.), could you describe how it would be played?

Be sure to use both displays and optionally the touchscreen.

I'll talk about my idea later. ;)

I would make a fist person shooter the primary display would be the simple FPS display while the second display would show you Third person angle of your character with other stats and stuff. :D

Why not just stats and menus? That's more effective than just having two alternate points of view on the same thing.

Why not just stats and menus? That's more effective than just having two alternate points of view on the same thing.
because that sounds like something that has been already done however, the third person thing seems first time.

because that sounds like something that has been already done however, the third person thing seems first time.
Probably, but I'd still see it as pretty wasteful to provide two points of view for the same thing.

Probably, but I'd still see it as pretty wasteful to provide two points of view for the same thing.
ok, how about the second screen shows the rear-view. Maybe our character has a rear camera so nobody ambushes him. That sounds good?

I would make an action RPG.
In the TV, show the game.
In the gamepad, show a first person camera (for picking target) with the actions options, like magic, object, etc.

But yeah, I can't think about ideas if I never touched a Wii U in my life.

ok, how about the second screen shows the rear-view. Maybe our character has a rear camera so nobody ambushes him. That sounds good?
This sounds like a racing game, now, lol.

I'd make a real-time strategy game about Shingeki no Kyojin with action battles.

This sounds like a racing game, now, lol.

I'd make a real-time strategy game about Shingeki no Kyojin with action battles.
Well, your idea seems interesting, though I have no idea what Shingeki whatever is, it probably is an Anime. xD

If I had super knowledge and know-how, (and if technology was compatible/able) I'd make an AR system that creates games and worlds based on your surroundings. Imagine that you go into your backyard to find an entire world, that's pretty unimaginable and nearly impossible with the technology we currently have, but I can dream.

lol People who have the system (the system would primarily be a mask over your face that is very light, portable and extremely powerful) would seriously be into another world. XD

If I had super knowledge and know-how, (and if technology was compatible/able) I'd make an AR system that creates games and worlds based on your surroundings. Imagine that you go into your backyard to find an entire world, that's pretty unimaginable and nearly impossible with the technology we currently have, but I can dream.

lol People who have the system (the system would primarily be a mask over your face that is very light, portable and extremely powerful) would seriously be into another world. XD

Well, if this made you happy, we actually have technology for that.
Did you hear about Virtuix Omni or Oculus Rift?

Well, if this made you happy, we actually have technology for that.Did you hear about Virtuix Omni or Oculus Rift?

I have actually, but they aren't anywhere close to what I'm talking about. They're headed in the right direction though, :p

I have actually, but they aren't anywhere close to what I'm talking about. They're headed in the right direction though, :p
What about the one by Sony? :p

This is about 3DS/WiiU game design, though, not VR game design, so this is kinda off-topic now.

What about the one by Sony? This is about 3DS/WiiU game design, though, not VR game design, so this is kinda off-topic now.
Actually, 3DS has AR. . . so yeah.
I actually did go off topic, that was my bad. I read it as if you could make a "system", not a game like you stated; my topic is still debateable though. xP

Okay, so if I could make a GAME, I'd create a game that allows you to sacn real life QR codes for products using the 3DS and put the product being described into the game, it would be a sidescroller, and the items you scanned could serve as strange power ups. This is just random and off the top of my head though. xP

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaynil
Hmm... Porting some Danmaku games (ex. Touhou) on the 3DS. This in 3D... would be Epic craziness.

I know that I'm not the creator of Fire Emblem, but given that we haven't seen one for the Wii U yet, I have a (hopefully) unique idea as to how they could implement it.

Make the bottom screen a lot like the GBA games in terms of layout, with the top down map perspective, and you'd use it to control the units. Given the bigness of the gamepad screen, they could have some basic stat menus and such on the side, and with one of the buttons you could expand them to pull them out entirely and see them in detail.

On the big screen, you'd have a lot of camera angles going around the map, somewhat similar to how it works in FE: Awakening. The map and units would be in detailed HD graphics, and it'd really look cool once they get into battle. The way I see it, it could all be continuous without needing to switch between the big map and the small battle scene, which would be pretty innovative for the franchise.

What do you guys think?

A manipulation by touch game where the character would explore the dungeon with the help of the player's magic touch.

TV/Top Screen: Game Overworld
Gamepad/Bottom Screen: A tattered book that gives you hints on what to do next and/or an in game manual (so when Mario tells you to check the "enclosed instruction booklet" you can).
In the options you can choose where the menu is to be located like on the TV or on the Gamepad. Later in this game you can read certain things in the menu depending on where you chose the menu to be

Back