• Start date

Which ones listed do you want to use?

• Total voters
Artisan

Artisan

Hard At Work
Forum Moderator
http://boingboing.net/2015/08/24/a-game-making-app-for-everyone.html
After reading this article I am curious about the tools mentioned in the article whether they be free or come with a price just to compare. What languages do you need to learn to make these besides English if any at all?
Here's the ones I heard of on the article:
  • Twine (yeah I guess It's story based but still sounds cool)
  • Scratch (meh sounds like you need a subscription)
  • Puzzlescript (so like Tetris and Panel De Pon and 2048? Sounds difficult)
I'm anxious to hear from you! ^_^

http://boingboing.net/2015/08/24/a-game-making-app-for-everyone.html
After reading this article I am curious about the tools mentioned in the article whether they be free or come with a price just to compare. What languages do you need to learn to make these besides English if any at all?
Here's the ones I heard of on the article:
  • Twine (yeah I guess It's story based but still sounds cool)
  • Scratch (meh sounds like you need a subscription)
  • Puzzlescript (so like Tetris and Panel De Pon and 2048? Sounds difficult)
I'm anxious to hear from you! ^_^

(I bet you expected me to come here)

The three of them are completely free (as they are open-source), but the language to learn depend on which game engine you pick:

Twine -> No programming language, seems to have an interpreter a la Game Maker to turn your game into an executable, though it do have support for JavaScript, CSS, variables and conditional logic according to its homepage.
Scratch -> Scratch (basically, programming language that just looks like Lego. You stack/stick blocks together to make code)
PuzzleScript -> Javascript. It's an HTML5 engine, so, you'll have to learn both Javascript and HTML5 to use it (not all the HTML5 stuff though, just some things like canvas and stuff).

So, basically, they're all open-source and free, and they're all in English. You'll only have to adapt to the programming language it uses.

Reactions: 532, Marc, Artisan and 1 other person
Back