(Gamecube) Sonic Adventure DX + Review

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
This game isn't properly a Gamecube game is the sense where it was made for the Dreamcast first (and was the best-selling game of the console), then 'upgraded' and ported.

In my opinion, the game was really great. The 3D graphics were still good, and playing with the characters was really fun (except for Big, that part of the game made me rage over my Gamecube :banghead:!)

The game had a good background story for each of the characters, and every character was involved in another one, and that was also a great point. The only regret I have is that the 3rd "mission" you're given with Sonic when you enter a level is hard, really hard (It's generally "Beat the level in 3 minutes"), but that's a detail.

DX-Exclusives Features:
As I said earlier, the game is an upgraded port, and adds more features. One of these features that kept me playing (not the Adventure mode, though :D), was the Game Collection. Basically, it's a gallery, where you could unlock Game Gear games (and they made the screen re-sizable !) if you get a certain number of Emblems.

The second feature is the Mission Mode, who has nothing in common with what I said earlier, as this one is a kind of "free" mode, where you find missions in regular places, and some needed to be done in some stages. You only got a hint to help you and do the mission. If you were a skilled player, and managed to beat all the missions, you could unlock another character (*I hid the name of the character, so, you'll have to play the game to know more!*)!

The Gamecube port was also able to communicate with the Sonic Advance series on the Gameboy through the Chao Garden. From the menu, you could import items, rings, and much more if you had the cartridge.
And even if you didn't had one of these games, if you plug your Gameboy Advance to the Gamecube, it will download a small game (Chao Garden for GBA), who offered a few mini-games, and the ability to transfer to Gamecube only (You can't transfer back).

Final Results:
-- Graphics: 9.9999/10 They were great, really. I can't find anything to explain why there's 0.0001 points missing.
-- Story: 9.5/10 As I said, the story was great, and each character was involved in another. But, the only minus is Big (it killed the whole game, by turning it into... a fishing game ?!)
-- Gameplay: 10/10. I can't say anything else. Except that the controls are really good for the Gamecube.
-- BGM/SoundFX: 9.5/10 They actually fit the game. I would have made the same choice as Sega if was the Sound Designer

>>> Final Score: 10/10. Why 10 ? Because, besides the very few cons mentioned earlier, this game is perfect for a 3D Sonic Game. I hope that Adventure 2 is that great too (never got the luck to test it), because, really, it's a "must-have" for the Gamecube.

(Note: The game was also released for the PC, the Xbox 360 and the PS3 through Steam, Xbox Live* and PlayStation Network*.
*The DX extension is provided as a DLC, and isn't free.)

I loved Sonic Adventure when I first played it! I bought it the day the Dreamcast launched actually. I never did pick up the Cube version, but it makes me happy to see how successful Sonic has been on Nintendo systems.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I loved Sonic Adventure when I first played it! I bought it the day the Dreamcast launched actually. I never did pick up the Cube version, but it makes me happy to see how successful Sonic has been on Nintendo systems.

Actually, there was a few Sonic games on the GameCube. But this one was my favourite (I had this one and Sonic Heroes at the time). I'll also need to try the 2nd though, as a friend told me it was awesome.

Reactions: TAG
I love the Sonic Gems collection on the GC! The graphically improved version of Sega Saturn cult classic Sonic R is great. Of course not much is better than Sonic CD - it might be my favorite Sonic game ever!

I love the Sonic Gems collection on the GC! The graphically improved version of Sega Saturn cult classic Sonic R is great. Of course not much is better than Sonic CD - it might be my favorite Sonic game ever!

Sonic CD is great, but, damn it, it's really hard ! I've got it on my Xbox 360, and I can't get past the part 1 of the last stage ! As for Sonic R, I've got to try it too. Many people say bad things on the game, but I'll have to try it !

Reactions: TAG
The improved graphics and extra content made this game even better. I've played the original too. ^^

I remember playing the Dreamcast version...
I also played the PC version.

Sonic CD is great, but, damn it, it's really hard ! I've got it on my Xbox 360, and I can't get past the part 1 of the last stage ! As for Sonic R, I've got to try it too. Many people say bad things on the game, but I'll have to try it !

Yep, Sonic CD is one of the hardest games of the series :p

@D4rkDragon If I remember well, there was an option to transfer chaos from SADX to SA2, because the game used a new engine for that.

The only part I hated to that game every time I played it... that means a lot of times... was the plane mission. That one was long and boring if you already played it.

@Erixsan, I used to find the plan part quite fun. But I didn't like the karting thing. It looked like a bad ripoff of Mario Kart, and each time, my game glitched, sending me into the void. As for SA2, well, if I manage to get it on my 360, I'll give it a try, and see if I can import data from my save, though I use the chaos only for the Emblems you can't get anywhere else.

I love playing this game just to mess with the glitches. Glitches are my favorite part of the old 3D Sonic games.

Back