GameFreak Lazy?

• Thread starter Scraggy32
  • Start date
Scraggy32

Scraggy32

Scraggy FTW
Towns Folk
Ever since the whole Sword and Shield hate started It got me to thinking, people tend to bash Pokemon games way before hand. Heck I remember back when Pokemon Black and White was released people were saying how GameFreak was running out of ideas and stuff like that. And now with the no national pokedex thing people are saying GameFreak is lazy (Obviously they don't know squat about professional video game development) and while it's understandable to be upset, I don't think it's right to disrespect GameFreak, I mean they're only doing their job after all. So I wonder, how did this perception of GameFreak being lazy even start?

Reactions: Marc
Because they are constantly reusing assets and giving lazy excuses. Animations are identical to each other between games, models too, the art never improves that much, and their excuse about the animations this time is just meaningless. And I would say they are running out of pokemon design ideas, there's only so many you can make based on designs of IRL objects and animals.

There are some people taking it way too far, sure, but game freak are being pretty dumb about it tbh. Their public statements around S&S haven't been great at all.

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and Marc
Well honestly despite the whole thing, I still plan on getting Sword and Shield. Chances are that they might improve the Graphics before the release date. And plus I wouldn't let something like a limitation of Transferring pokemon bother me. I'm curious to see what the Galar Region has in store, and what the story's gonna be like!

Honestly, it just baffles me that they would cut such an integral feature to their franchise like this, and for "quality and animation concerns" no less.

If it's really that much of a bother to cram both quality/animations and the NatDex in, why don't they just port the NatDex first, release the games, then work on all the polish they want in future games? I can understand porting from the 3DS to the Switch would probably take some time, but that's no need to go cutting features for a game to have "better quality" and a policy shift that will mean no National Dex will be available in the future.

After I found out about Temtem, I aint gonna get sword and shield. I didn't enjoy sun that much, and even despite all this, I don't really want to get it tbh. I don't want to keep funding GameFreak's huge cash cow.

After I found out about Temtem, I aint gonna get sword and shield. I didn't enjoy sun that much, and even despite all this, I don't really want to get it tbh. I don't want to keep funding GameFreak's huge cash cow.

Gonna be reeeeeaaaaaal disappointed if Temmie doesn't show up. :p

Honestly, it just baffles me that they would cut such an integral feature to their franchise like this, and for "quality and animation concerns" no less.

If it's really that much of a bother to cram both quality/animations and the NatDex in, why don't they just port the NatDex first, release the games, then work on all the polish they want in future games? I can understand porting from the 3DS to the Switch would probably take some time, but that's no need to go cutting features for a game to have "better quality" and a policy shift that will mean no National Dex will be available in the future.

My guess is that considering the number of increasing Pokemon which almost adds to 1000, they felt that they couldn't keep up with that, Sure it's easy for people to say "That must've been an easy decision for them" (I'm sure it was a hard choice for them to make) But there's also the matter of data storage to think about, not to mention the obvious stress that these game developers go through. Heck I remember reading stuff about Sakurai's stress when it came to developing the Super Smash Bros. games. Regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we all have different tastes speaking in terms of video games. Sure it's also easy to say that they are lazy but people need to see things from GameFreak's Point of view. Honestly, I don't care if people hate sword and shield, they should at least learn to be respectful about it.

Reactions: Mizunil
Honestly, I think I would rather see Pokemon end their last games with a complete Pokedex, rather than cut Pokemon out to "alleviate" the NatDex issue. Besides which, it certainly isn't difficult for them to port the dex over considering they have all the models, animations and other code done for them since Gen VII (and yes, those models are future-proofed; they have been used in both Let's Go and even Sword and Shield, when observed.)

Do I think they might have bitten off more than they could chew this time? Yes. Do I think they don't have any time left and as a result, cannot delay the release any further? Debatable, but lets say yes. Do I think this justifies their excuse of "animation and quality concerns", or that this effectively means they will never again put in the effort for a full National Dex for any future Pokemon game? No. No I do not.

Ever since the whole Sword and Shield hate started It got me to thinking, people tend to bash Pokemon games way before hand. Heck I remember back when Pokemon Black and White was released people were saying how GameFreak was running out of ideas and stuff like that. And now with the no national pokedex thing people are saying GameFreak is lazy (Obviously they don't know squat about professional video game development) and while it's understandable to be upset, I don't think it's right to disrespect GameFreak, I mean they're only doing their job after all. So I wonder, how did this perception of GameFreak being lazy even start?

Honestly I wasn't even that upset about it until they started giving lame excuses. The excuses opened up a can of worms imo, if lots of much smaller studios produce fresh content with much higher quality, why can't gamefreak if they have pre-made characters and assets? They did all the new models and animations with x and y, that leads to problem no.2 and which as far as I know isn't entirely gamefreaks fault, why can't Nintendo or Pokemon Co. hire help for technical issues, and or optimize development software, etc . because obviously SOMETHING isn't working. which leads me to my ultimate issue, they don't even seem to care to improve. if we are losing pokemon count now and we are STILL getting reused animations(points to Hau and the new rival using the same animations) where are we going? if this is the limit as they lead on then pokemon is going nowhere.

Another thing that has bothered me with this that battling will be dulled down And them using removing pokemon as an excuse with no intention of dlc is worrying because pokemon is made to be diverse instead of balancing, working on official tiers and rules and cups would set the competitive scene on fire with how diverse and strategic things could be with everyone being able to use there favorite pokemon SOMEWHERE. also the continuation of adding and removing features. z moves and megas just needed some tweaking. z-moves gave some low-tier pokemon a chance like Torkoal. adding and removing just for the sake of having something "new" and flashy like dynamax instead of refinement is getting old

I have other issues but I don't think gamefreak is lazy. I think they are getting tired of making Pokemon. and its showing both in Pokemon itself and them increasingly focusing on other titles such as town and gigawrecker. what I am observing is a lack of ambition from Gamefreak and Nintendo and Pokemon company seeing easy money. hell Pokemon Masters Has more life and fresh animations to it and thats a free-to-start game. but they know it will make a crap ton of money!

Last edited:
Reactions: 28142
My guess is that considering the number of increasing Pokemon which almost adds to 1000, they felt that they couldn't keep up with that,
they can, pokemon is the franchise that generates the most money in the world, they can hire new people to help then, but they dont want to, gamefreaks has like 140 employess, half of them are working in town,

compare that to the thousands of employess that other companies have and get less money with their games compared to pokemon

Sure it's easy for people to say "That must've been an easy decision for them" (I'm sure it was a hard choice for them to make) But there's also the matter of data storage to think about, not to mention the obvious stress that these game developers go through.
¿data storage? if the 3ds games could have all the pokemon until then, then switch can with even more, also,about data storage , ¿you know there are like +100 lily models in pokemon sun/moon, all with their own animations for every single scene where she is, because gamefreak didnt know how to use the same model for all the cutscenes she is in?, the same happen with most characters, but its more severe with lily, so...if there are any problem because data storage ,im sure its not because "they simply cannot have all of it"
also about the stress, if they hired more people, then it would mean not only less work for everione, but you could make more for the game with less time,
also , if gamefreak wast liyng about the reason why every pokemon isnt in (because lets be real, all they have said are lies, we have seen animations reused not only for pokemon, but for trainers) and four months wont be enougth time to change anything

Heck I remember reading stuff about Sakurai's stress when it came to developing the Super Smash Bros. games. Regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we all have different tastes speaking in terms of video games. Sure it's also easy to say that they are lazy but people need to see things from GameFreak's Point of view. Honestly, I don't care if people hate sword and shield, they should at least learn to be respectful about it.
the difference is that sakurai tries to do his best, , he never said outrigth lies (at most, he changed his opinion about some things,most, if not all for the best)and the fans are grateful for the quality of his games (excluding toxic people, but you cannot completely avoid these people in any fandom)

i think if a lot of not toxic people who genuinely showed interest in sword and shield are suddenly angry, it not without reason

but anyway, pokemon will sell no matter what they do, so they can do anything they want

Last edited:
Reactions: InfiniteDream, Pandaxclone2 and 28142
Of course they’re lazy. That’s why you’re seeing all of these mobile Pokémon games, and all of these free smaller Pokémon games with in app purchases, because they’re so easy to whip together.

Plus, Pokémon has been a game series for such a long time. There will always be people who buy the games, regardless of how good they are or not. And they’re completely aware of that fact.

Reactions: InfiniteDream and 28142
Of course they’re lazy. That’s why you’re seeing all of these mobile Pokémon games, and all of these free smaller Pokémon games with in app purchases, because they’re so easy to whip together.
just because a game is in movile, it doesnt mean its a "lazy" or "bad" game, you are forgetting that the developers for the movile games arent gamefreak
i play dragalia lost from day 1 and granblue fantasy for like 3 years and im gonna try pokemon masters

Back