Support Needed GameShark Affecting Game Cart. Battery

• Thread starter N3DSXL
  • Start date
N3DSXL

N3DSXL

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
Hopefully i'm not breaking any rules by mentioning "GameShark" but does using a gameshark on a Gameboy Advance/SP affect the Game Cartridge battery at all?

Also do the game cartridges take c-cell batteries, if not what kind do they take?

I believe GameShark games modify the values in the game's memory in the Console's RAM, so it should not affect the battery which is only used for hosting the save data.

mutters gameshark, is smited by the great Marc. as @ErixSan has said, gameshark affects the games memory rather than battery

Okay. Another question, the gameshark causes games to freeze & glitch the game, is that because it's affecting the game memory?
And do the game cart. take c-cell batteries?
Does the freezing or glitching of the game affect the Gameboy Advance/SP @ all?

Last edited:
Does anyone have an answer to my above question? o_O

Okay. Another question, the gameshark causes games to freeze & glitch the game, is that because it's affecting the game memory?
And do the game cart. take c-cell batteries?

:coffee:, Okay based off my experiences with Action Replay which does the same thing.

gameshark causes games to freeze & glitch the game, is that because it's affecting the game memory?

It's not affecting the memory, the GameShark is just causing the game not to work properly since the GS is messing with the coding which makes things flow properly.

do the game cart. take c-cell batteries?

The cartridge?

No your device is fine, AR would glitch and freeze on my DS Lite and my console still works to this day.

But just a quick bit of a warning, GS and AR are great tools to have when you have no one to trade with like in Pokémon or if you're up against a impossible boss that seems way OP for no good reason. But you may end having to buy another GameShark. Those things don't last long at all. I know with AR they may last at least a month before they start acting up and then won't be recognized by the system. I had at least five Action Replays and took great care of them.

Hope I helped some. :)

:coffee:, Okay based off my experiences with Action Replay which does the same thing.

gameshark causes games to freeze & glitch the game, is that because it's affecting the game memory?

It's not affecting the memory, the GameShark is just causing the game not to work properly since the GS is messing with the coding which makes things flow properly.

do the game cart. take c-cell batteries?

The cartridge?

No your device is fine, AR would glitch and freeze on my DS Lite and my console still works to this day.

But just a quick bit of a warning, GS and AR are great tools to have when you have no one to trade with like in Pokémon or if you're up against a impossible boss that seems way OP for no good reason. But you may end having to buy another GameShark. Those things don't last long at all. I know with AR they may last at least a month before they start acting up and then won't be recognized by the system. I had at least five Action Replays and took great care of them.

Hope I helped some. :)

Yes, that's what I mean by "Cart." is the "Cartridge".

Oh, well the battery is much larger than the actual game cartridge. They don't run run on batteries it's a chip that makes the game work.

Oh, well the battery is much larger than the actual game cartridge. They don't run run on batteries it's a chip that makes the game work.
So the battery is a chip, not a c-cell battery?

So the battery is a chip, not a c-cell battery?
Could someone answer this question please?

The chip is just what has the games data on it, it doesn't run on batteries :)

The chip is just what has the games data on it, it doesn't run on batteries :)
I wonder why some people call it a battery when it's just a chip?

I wonder why some people call it a battery when it's just a chip?

My guess is with technology these days batteries are as flat as the chip and just as small. Making them confused.

Older carts do have batteries. GBA carts on up to DS and 3DS use flash memory, in EEPROMS, but GBC and regular GB used flat nickle cell batteries, soldered to the chip inside the cart. So long as the battery still had power, save data would be retained.

Back