Gen 2 Gen 2 is the Best Gen

• Thread starter pokerus
  • Start date
pokerus

pokerus

Helpful Virus
Towns Folk
Alright, I've mentioned this in another post but I'm gonna make a whole thread about it. Gen 2 is honestly my favorite generation. I personally find it to be the best thing that ever happened to Pokemon. Johto is great, your rival is great, the starters are great, everything about it is great. I do love the fact that you can go to Johto and Kanto in these games, so you get twice the fun out of it (though I will say that makes the pacing of leveling up Pokemon weird).

Are there any other Gen 2 lovers out there? Why do you like it? If you don't like it, why not and what's really your favorite generation?

(I recently made a small adjustment to this post because I was bothered that I made a grammatical error)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I love both HeartGold and Soulsilver. I will probably play Crystal on VC. But I think gen 4 if my favourite gen. Sinnoh, and Johto!

Reactions: pokerus
The first generation I've played is gen 4 (HeartGold was my first game) so I have never played Gen 1 or 2, but I went back to 3 to play FireRed.

Reactions: Duffy
I really like Gen 2 as well. The Pokemon introduced in the game were really cool. The starters were really nice and I liked all three of them. I also really liked the fact that you could visit Kanto as well in the game. Talk about awesome-ness! Gen 2 also was the first gen to have shinies which is pretty awesome.

The original generation 2 games upgraded Pokémon in a lot of awesome ways. We got Pokémon breeding, shiny Pokémon and more!
(I have to say though, I didn't like the rival as much as snarky old Gary Oak.)
My favourite generation overall though has to be generation 4. With HeartGold and SoulSilver, we still get all the awesomeness of the original generation 2 games combined with other generation 4 features and what I consider to be the perfect variety of Pokémon. Plus all the new features like Pokémon that walk behind you!
So yes, I love generation 2. It has a great story, great features, and Pokémon Crystal will stick with me forever. But bringing Lugia and Ho-oh to the Nintendo DS was one of the best decisions they could have made.

I loved how the Pokemon could walk with you! Especially since it shows them as shinies if they are shiny!

There's a lot to enjoy about the second generation. Like previous posters here have said, it polished up a lot of mechanics while adding new ones (day/night cycle, female trainer in Crystal, Shiny Pokemon, etc.)

Not only that, but I feel it's most nostalgically remembered as being the best simply due to how fresh Pokemon still was at the time. These days, many gamers and sometimes veteran Pokemon fans talk about how Game Freak is "scraping the bottom of the barrel this time", or that Pokemon isn't as exciting as it used to be. But Generation II was not only better at just about everything Gen I set out to do, it was riding on Pokemon's recent boom in popularity while it was still going.

Back