Getting the Right Ability

• Thread starter 3391
  • Start date

Aspiring Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
So you want that Ability that makes your Pokemon better well here is where you'll learn where to get that Right Ability.

Females Influence Abilities
It's true Females have the most influence on abilitys. If a female has the Hidden Ability you seek then lucky you, If the male has it then It will take awhile.
Females have a 60% chance to pass down Hidden abilitys, males only can if bred with a ditto.
Females can also pass down regular Abilities, they have a 80% chance to do so.

Males Only Influence Hidden Abilities (If Bred With Ditto)
If a Male has the Ability you seek then that means nothing, unless it's a hidden ability. As I said before they can only pass Down Hidden Abilitys when breed with a Ditto.

Use Both Males and Females

Using a Male and Female with the right ability will increase the odds IF they are of same species.

Finding Pokemon with Hidden Abilitys
In the Friend Safari there is a 30% chance that a pokemon will have it's hidden ability when you see it. This chance is raised (doubled I believe) if your friend who "owns" the Safari is online.
Pokemon that appear in hordes have a small chance to have their hidden ability. This method can be tricky and time consuming check out the 'tips' section for more info on how to find them easier.
This is still a bit of a Mystery but in ORAS once you've encountered the Pokemon with the Hidden Ability you're searching for a bunch of times (the more times you've seen it the easier it gets) you can search for the Pokemon and it might have it's Hidden Ability. I don't know how much times on average it takes but I'll look into it and update this with more info.
When searching for a Pokemon with it's hidden ability you should always have a way to tell if it has it's ability or not
1. Ability- I recommend a Pokemon with Trace when searching in a friend Safari or when using the Dex Nav.Trace will tell you what ability the Pokemon has.
Mummy isn't as reliable and I don't recommend it but it can still be used.
2. Moves- There are plenty of moves that can help you. Skill swap is a good alternative to Trace, poison Gas affects all Pokemon in a horde making it easier to find a Pokemon that might have an ability that that would allow it to be poisoned with it's hidden ability but not with it's normal ability. (ex. Poison Boost Zangoose)
Simple beam Is an alternative to Skill Swap or Trace.
Worry seed is another alternative to Trace.

Hope I helped be sure to tell me if i missed anything

Also if you're confused as to why people laugh at you in the GTS by saying HA, HA means Hidden Ability (i didn't know this for a pretty long time).

Last edited:
Reactions: Typhlosion444, blinboy and FirstSerpent
So to sum it all up use Female pokemon to get your ability

Thanks for the tip! I'm getting into breeding and trying to learn as much as possible about it so this was helpful.

Reactions: 3391
Thanks for the information I was planning to breed larvitar,I will keep that in mind when breeding any pokemon for hidden abilities.Again thanks for the info!

Reactions: Typhlosion444 and 3391
You can find hidden abilities in friend safaris and horde battles. Easier if you have a sweet scent Pokemon as well as something that can help you read abilities, like say Worry Seed or Simple Beam. Sometimes there might not even be a hidden ability in a horde battle so keep trying. Just to clarify before you would want to to breed.

Reactions: Typhlosion444 and 3391
Thanks for the information I was planning to breed larvitar,I will keep that in mind when breeding any pokemon for hidden abilities.Again thanks for the info!
Your welcome glad I could help

You can find hidden abilities in friend safaris and horde battles. Easier if you have a sweet scent Pokemon as well as something that can help you read abilities, like say Worry Seed or Simple Beam. Sometimes there might not even be a hidden ability in a horde battle so keep trying. Just to clarify before you would want to to breed.
I should put that in there thanks Artisan

EDIT: I added it now

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Typhlosion444
Now I'm regretting not catching that female HA (hidden ability) Spheal in the friend safari. I got the male HA Spheal tho.

Now I'm regretting not catching that female HA (hidden ability) Spheal in the friend safari. I got the male HA Spheal tho.
Good luck with that

Could someone please tell me what a Hidden Ability is? I don't understand, thanks in advance

Could someone please tell me what a Hidden Ability is? I don't understand, thanks in advance
I will put it in the simplest way I can, basically hidden abilities only apply to some pokemon and you can get it by doing some of the things that are up on the first comment on this thread for example charizard hidden ability is solar power but he normally has blaze but you can also change the pokemon ability with a hidden capsule which is 200 BP at the battle mansion.

Oh ok thanks, I think I understand now

I will put it in the simplest way I can, basically hidden abilities only apply to some pokemon and you can get it by doing some of the things that are up on the first comment on this thread for example charizard hidden ability is solar power but he normally has blaze but you can also change the pokemon ability with a hidden capsule which is 200 BP at the battle mansion.

To correct you Dark, the hidden capsule can change only normal ability. They cannot change a ability to hidden.
If you want hidden ability
-Hordes of Pokémons (rare)
-Safari of Pokémons
-Wonder trade (be lucky)
-GTS
-Dex Nav (only at ORAS)

I am enjoy to correct you ;)

Also if you're confused as to why people laugh at you in the GTS by saying HA, HA means Hidden Ability (i didn't know this for a pretty long time).
You're silly. :hilarious:

Great thread pacey! this should hopefully help a lot of people who want to learn how to breed their own pokemon! :cat:

Reactions: Typhlosion444
Do you remember the entralink in Pokemon black and white, and black 2 and white 2, that is where hidden abilities first came from, however, these hidden abilities have become very relevant in the meta game. For example, a normal serperior would have overgrow as its ability, but thanks to the entralink, it now has the ability contrary which is an ability that reverses all stat changes to that Pokemon. So, if you use a move like leaf storm, which lowers special attack by two stages, instead it raises special attack by two stages.

Back