• maybe i give it a try

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lovebeat

Lovebeat

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Anybody use this software before? I like a lot of the tools on Gimp, but it's not for me. For some reason, I feel so frustrated when I use it. Maybe because I'm so use to Photoshop.

I know exactly what you mean. I attempted to use GIMP once because I thought it was pretty incredible that they are offering a graphics design program for FREE. However, because I was so used to photoshop that I found myself constantly comparing the two and I could never really get into GIMP. I've seen some pretty amazing designs made from GIMP though.

It's free and available on any OS, which is why I've used it and liked it, but actually I prefer Pixelmator for the Mac much better.

www.gimp.us.com

it is totally free and for the purpose of making signatures and avatars it works great and a great alternative to photoshop

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I actually tried gimp but it sadly doesn't work with windows 7 it only works windows XD. Windows 7 does install it but the application seems to be missing some stuff which was installed.

have you tried it recently as it said it windows 8.
if you downloaded an old version it causes that issue
it works with vista

I'll try it, I have been with Paint.NET for a while, and it offered nice effects (for instance, the background of my signature).

But I hope that won't be too hard, I don't have any artistic skills, and when I try to draw on my computer, I have the feeling of using a brick instead of something to draw...

paint.net is a great program for beginnings but with tuts gimp could bring your work another level

Reactions: Mikaya and D4rkDragon
I have it already but it is hard to use. And it its already hard to paint a picture using my laptop trackpad. (Is that what it's called?;)) I'd rather use a tablet to paint because I can use my hands and it'd feel so much more realistic.

Ahh gimp. The only free good alternate to photoshop. I made a lot of good things on gimp. At least before my laptop broke. Maybe I'll start making banners again...

But does it need you to be online

no jam it works offline

For me, GIMP is great for creating basic sketches and creating the foundation of your project. Unfortunately, because it IS a free software, there are some bugs and aspects of the software that hinder your work (ex: pressure sensitivity is no longer available in the new version, the software will randomly "experience problems" even though there seemed to be no problem when you were working, for some reason, the chances of the software crashing increases after 10 layers of so, etc.) but overall, I'd say that it's a good painting program for beginners to practice with before they move on to more complicated software such as SAI or Photoshop.

I've used Gimp before. And while I prefer photoshop (who wouldn't if it was free), it gets the job done.

true that raptor

I did use it some time ago, did a few tuts and posted my work on another forum (that I've left) :p

I was told my work was pretty good though. Shame I forgot all my skills that I had learnt. xD

nice piece of software and widely used as well. It has some good features and is easy to get used to.

I might give it a try. I'm not much of a graphic artist so I've been sticking to using Paint.Net. Pretty much the only reason I use it is to remove unwanted backgrounds from images. It is pretty complex though, so I'd recommend it for anyone wanting an upgrade over MS Paint.

Back