Google buys Titan Aerospace, Plans on launching UAVs

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Google has decided to buy this company called Titan Aerospace, which Google intends to use to offer increased WiFi coverage and real-time High resolution imagery for Google maps/Google Earth.
The Wall Street Journal has just confirmed that Google will be purchasing Titan Aerospace, the same high-altitude drone startup that Facebook had been in talks with earlier this year.

While we can't be sure yet what Google plans to do with its new high-flying toys, it's hard not to worry that, in addition to connecting the world over, this means a lot more potential information at Google's fingertips.

Google has said that their new drone team will get to business with the already establishedProject Loon, which plans to shoot high-altitude balloons off into the stratosphere to cover the world in a blanket of Wi-Fi. According to the Wall Street Journal, there's also potential for Titan to work with "another early-stage Google project that is developing an airborne wind turbine that it hopes will generate energy more efficiently."

Then comes the (potentially) creepy part; Titan's drones will run around collecting "real-time, high-resolution images of the Earth" in addition to supporting voice and data services. Which means major boons to its Google Maps division's already staggering wealth of information. The tradeoff? Potential internet speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second virtually anywhere you go.

Of course, this isn't Google's first foray into the world of smaller robotics firms. This newest acquisition brings its number up to 13. What's more, these aren't your consumer-size quadcopters we're talkin'. Titan is in the process of developing two "dragonfly-shaped" drones, the smaller of which is just a touch bigger than a Boeing 767.
What do you guys think? Is this a good thing that Google did, buying UAVs to offer increased internet speeds in exchange for some of our privacy? Or is it unfair at how Google can remotely poke their noses i nto our peace and comfort? Let me know what you guys think in the replies.

wow, I do think that's a bit much. There is a limit. We need to keep our privacy. Why go to those kind of lengths just for higher 'net speeds? :p

wow, I do think that's a bit much. There is a limit. We need to keep our privacy. Why go to those kind of lengths just for higher 'net speeds? :p
True. But what about the NSA? They are also tracking our activity, shouldn't they also be taken into consideration?

Stalkers, stalkers everywhere. Watchin' you on Google Earth and social networking sites. The future is creeping up on us and there's gonna be trouble.

Stalkers, stalkers everywhere. Watchin' you on Google Earth and social networking sites. The future is creeping up on us and there's gonna be trouble.
Whatever happens, protect your privacy as a citizen. (Crisis Core quote FTW :p)

Google will have the chance to see the world clearly from space they are quite making money they have get this far now we can see more on google earth then ever with they satellite

Google will have the chance to see the world clearly from space they are quite making money they have get this far now we can see more on google earth then ever with they satellite
Yes, but privacy should always come before money. Thye are spying on us and making money. I do not take gthat as a justification.

Everything that THEM (Social media, the Government, the Web) do to invade OUR (the people)'s privacy is absolute bs. I don't think its right at ALL to be invading our own personal space. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want people monitoring and watching me while I do the things I do. Its strange, and I don't think I want any of the old men working over at Google staring at me through their Star Trek drones...

Back