Have you lost weight with your Wii or WiiU?

• Thread starter lludawg
  • Start date
lludawg

lludawg

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
My aunt is thinking of buying a WiiU for the sole purpose of losing weight through games. She thinks this will be a very fun way to get more fit but I am skeptical that it will really work. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

I know a lot of people who plays the fitness/athletic games on the Wii/Wii U so they can lose weight and be in better shape. I'm sure it does work but I say it's much better doing 'real work outs' like at the gym or just using real gym equipment to help out. With the Wii or Wii U you can't really add more weight to it so it's a lot harder to reach your goals. It will take you longer to do.

You would probably have to play for at least a few hours a day, and over exaggerate your actions. Most of all, playing for a few hours a day, EVERYDAY, will botch your eyesight, so I say, probably not. The Wii Sports series are more of a simulator than an actual weight loss game. Maybe Wii Fit.....

I personally haven't but that's because I haven't tried.

Definitely not through my Wii U, though - I don't own any dancing or fitness games specifically for Wii U so I never stand up to play it or whatever. If your aunt really wants to buy a system to lose weight, tell her to get the regular Wii. There's a vast amount of games already out for it designed for losing weight whereas the Wii U only has Wii Fit U and Wii Sports Club (that I can think of).

I'm sure it works, I've never personally lost any noticeable weight, but then again, I haven't really tried too. I used Wii fit all the time (a few years back) for the sole purpose of mini games And wasn't interested in losing weight cause,well I'm just a kid :p it was really fun though!

Recently I have been using the Just Dance games, 2, 4 , 2014 and I am seeing little weight loss. They are also fun to play too but as was said above you need to really emphasize your moves. Just Dance is great for this though as it's fun, addictive and someone can tag along multiplayer with you. Other good games like Just Dance are the Micheal Jackson Experience and the Black Eye Peas experience, personally I find the "experience series more challenging. Also on just dance two you can set up a program for yourself that counts how much you move as sweat points on a graph so you can see your progress. Even if you make little progress, you need to walk before you run. I find dancing games are great for getting energized.

Wii Fit is good for losing weight and having fun as well. Try the running exercise or the hoop one. They're pretty good. You have to keep doing them regularly though. I think I lost only a little bit of weight overall. :p

Wii fit U is a great tool for tracking progress and motivation but don't think that getting a wii u will automatically make u lose weight.

You're only going to lose weight if you are self motivated, persistence and you actually know how to lmao

What??? Lose weight? where? What game shall I play then? hahahha Let's be serious now hehe, I haven't done so, maybe you mean playing those wii fit games, I think they could work. I used to play michael jackson on the wii system together with some friends of mine, we sweat a lot and we had real fun but I don't think we got to lose weight with them heheh, you can try it if you want, you are gonna have a great time though.

While I've never really been overweight, and thus have never really had a use for the WiiU as a fitness device, I can't really say for sure on whether or not the Wii or WiiU has helped me lose weight. However, I do tend to get a pretty good exercise if I'm using Wii Fit U and the like.

Anything that can get a person to work out more--even a little--probably could help.

I'd personally lose more weight with the 3DS getting play coins or the PokeWalker than trying to balance on a board or just using the fitness tracker that looks like a PokeWalker but that's just me. It is probably still more fun than not using one but I think that idea of losing weight while playing a video game is a niche market that I think only Nintendo can fill. If it's cheaper than exercise equipment and you're dedicated then I say go for it.

Also since the Switch is out that's bound to have at least one fitness title right? Just to consider.

Back