RMT / Team Help Help building an NU team

• Thread starter Samuel_1802
  • Start date
Samuel_1802

Samuel_1802

Nintendo Mobile Game Junkie
Towns Folk
I just got this urge to play some NU the other day and I want to go in with a fresh team, so far I have 4 Pokémon in mind. I don't mind swapping some of them out, and I have 2 open spots, so feel free to suggest Pokémon to fill them up.

This is what I have in mind so far:

006.gif
711.gif
(Small)
423.gif
306.gif

Things to keep in mind:
  • I haven't assigned any sets yet so don't ask for them! >.<)/ The only I a clear idea of what I want to use is Aggron, which I want an offensive rocks set on.
  • I'm not willing to swap Aggron or Gourgeist-Small for other Pokémon, don't even try.
  • I can't get transfer only moves on this team (i.e. Softboiled Clefairy, Defog Skuntank, etc.), as I'm planning to breed this in ORAS
  • I need hazard control, like, duh.

I just got this urge to play some NU the other day and I want to go in with a fresh team, so far I have 4 Pokémon in mind. I don't mind swapping some of them out, and I have 2 open spots, so feel free to suggest Pokémon to fill them up.

This is what I have in mind so far:

006.gif
711.gif
(Small)
423.gif
306.gif

Things to keep in mind:
  • I haven't assigned any sets yet so don't ask for them! >.<)/ The only I a clear idea of what I want to use is Aggron, which I want an offensive rocks set on.
  • I'm not willing to swap Aggron or Gourgeist-Small for other Pokémon, don't even try.
  • I can't get transfer only moves on this team (i.e. Softboiled Clefairy, Defog Skuntank, etc.), as I'm planning to breed this in ORAS
  • I need hazard control, like, duh.

Why Gourgeist Small tho? imo Gourgeist XL is better in NU

And Hazard Control in NU:

Defog:
drifblim.png
archeops.png
shiftry.png
(There are more, but not breedable in ORAS)
Rapid Spin:
avalugg.png
hitmonchan.png
sandslash.png
claydol.png

Magic Bounce:
xatu.png

You could use this to guide yourself if you don't think you have enough experience in NU

Why Gourgeist Small tho? imo Gourgeist XL is better in NU

And Hazard Control in NU:

Defog:
drifblim.png
archeops.png
shiftry.png
(There are more, but not breedable in ORAS)
Rapid Spin:
avalugg.png
hitmonchan.png
sandslash.png
claydol.png

Magic Bounce:
xatu.png

You could use this to guide yourself if you don't think you have enough experience in NU
I want to try and make use of that base 99 Speed, besides, I've used Gourgeist XL before :p
Looking at at that list, I think Shiftry and Hitmonchan are my best bets. Could use Xatu but I don't really want another Flying-type. I'll ponder for a bit and then decide.

Ok, I've put something together. Decided to add Mega Audino in the last spot as it seemed to fit in nicely. There are some moves I still haven't decided on so if anyone could provide some insight that'd be appreciated.

charizard-3.gif

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast/Ancient Power
I've been considering Ancient Power over Focus Blast in order to beat other Charizard as I don't have a completely reliable check or counter for them. The downside in doing so would be the rather low base power it has.
gourgeist-2.gif

Gourgeist-Small @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Phantom Force
- Rock Slide
- Explosion/Trick/Shadow Sneak
While Gourgeist-Small is rather speedy, I feel Shadow Sneak would come useful to check Mismagius after Stealth Rock damage. Explosion could be used as a last ditch effort as it hits much harder than either STAB option. Trick cripples defensive and support Pokémon such as Lanturn, Gastrodon, Xatu, etc. I could replace Phantom Force for Shadow Sneak and leave the choice to be only between Explosion and Trick but the loss in power is a lot.

gastrodon-east.gif

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic
Not much to say here, I just needed something to take special hits and deal with the likes of Magmortar.
aggron-3.gif

Aggron @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head/Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
188 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed standard Sp.Def Malamar, allowing me to OHKO with Head Smash after Stealth Rock if it isn't at +1 Defense. Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward set. I'm debating whether I should have Heavy Slam over Iron Head, the former offers greater damage on certain Pokémon I would use a Steel-type move against, such as Mega Audino and Cradily, while the latter has a more consistent damage output.

hitmonchan.gif

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin
A pretty standard set. Having Assault Vest might be a bit overkill on the Sp.Def side as I already have Mega Audino and Gastrodon, both of which can take them rather well, but it would allow me to deal with Xatu a little better. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of replacing it for a Black Belt/Fist Plate though.

audino.gif
---->
audino-mega.gif

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator ---> Healer
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
Like Gastrodon, but in the physical side. I have Aggron and Gourgeist, but neither have the EV investment to take hits, so this should be able to help out. I thought about fitting Thunder Wave instead of Heal Bell, but Poison and Burns pose a threat to my team should their respective switch ins (Aggron and Charizard) go down.

Last edited:
Ok, I've put something together. Decided to add Mega Audino in the last spot as it seemed to fit in nicely. There are some moves I still haven't decided on so if anyone could provide some insight that'd be appreciated.

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast/Ancient Power
I've been considering Ancient Power over Focus Blast in order to beat other Charizard as I don't have a completely reliable check or counter for them. The downside in doing so would be the rather low base power it has.

Gourgeist-Small @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Phantom Force
- Rock Slide
- Explosion/Trick/Shadow Sneak
While Gourgeist-Small is rather speedy, I feel Shadow Sneak would come useful to check Mismagius after Stealth Rock damage. Explosion could be used as a last ditch effort as it hits much harder than either STAB option. Trick cripples defensive and support Pokémon such as Lanturn, Gastrodon, Xatu, etc. I could replace Phantom Force for Shadow Sneak and leave the choice to be only between Explosion and Trick but the loss in power is a lot.

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic
Not much to say here, I just needed something to take special hits and deal with the likes of Magmortar.

Aggron @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head/Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
188 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed standard Sp.Def Malamar, allowing me to OHKO with Head Smash after Stealth Rock if it isn't at +1 Defense. Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward set. I'm debating whether I should have Heavy Slam over Iron Head, the former offers greater damage on certain Pokémon I would use a Steel-type move against, such as Mega Audino and Cradily, while the latter has a more consistent damage output.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin
A pretty standard set. Having Assault Vest might be a bit overkill on the Sp.Def side as I already have Mega Audino and Gastrodon, both of which can take them rather well, but it would allow me to deal with Xatu a little better. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of replacing it for a Black Belt/Fist Plate though.

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
Like Gastrodon, but in the physical side. I have Aggron and Gourgeist, but neither have the EV investment to take hits, so this should be able to help out. I thought about fitting Thunder Wave instead of Heal Bell, but Poison and Burns pose a threat to my team should their respective switch ins (Aggron and Charizard) go down.

I like your sets, except for Gourgeist and Aggron

I don't feel that Choice Band is the best option for Gourgeist, a Bulky standard set can be better imo

In Aggron, I'm not really convinced with Life Orb, the recoil might be worse for him, I feel that Hard Rock is a better option

Reactions: Mr. Kream
I like your sets, except for Gourgeist and Aggron

I don't feel that Choice Band is the best option for Gourgeist, a Bulky standard set can be better imo

In Aggron, I'm not really convinced with Life Orb, the recoil might be worse for him, I feel that Hard Rock is a better option
Ok, I'll swap the LO for a Hard Stone. Like I said before, I have Gourgeist-Small to use the Pokémon in a different way from usual. This size also isn't as successful with bulky sets because of the (much) lower base 55 HP (though it could make better use of Pain Split), if it turns out to not work very well, I'll give it a bulky set.

Reactions: Zukrad
So far the team's done decently well. I had trouble dealing with Vileplume (and sometimes Ferroseed) if Charizard happens to go down, I also felt like Mega Audino wasn't doing much for the team so I replaced it for Sp. Def Sap Sipper Miltank (it also synergizes well with Gastrodon). I also changed Gastrodon's EVs and nature for a physically defensive set, as well as swapping out Ancient Power for Focus Blast on Charizard. Since Aggron already has Stealth Rock, I had a free slot on Miltank so I gave her Fire Punch to hit Vileplume for more damage and not be forced out by Ferroseed, I did consider Thunder Wave to guarantee paralysis, but ended up passing on it for now.

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink

Reactions: Zukrad
Back