Highschool...

• Thread starter amirally27
  • Start date
amirally27

amirally27

The Hero in Green
Towns Folk
Can anyone give me advice for highschool. Im going to be a freshman this year, and I want to know what to expect. Will it just be like transitioning from elemetary school to middle school? Or....

Stay away from the upperclassmen. Work harder than you did in middle school. You'll probably hate your life at some points, it's normal lol

Reactions: amirally27
Expect a lot of work, homework, projects, group work and stuff x.x
It's manageable but stressful plus with the tests and quizzes.
You should study at anytime possible during school session ^^

Don't be nervous, it's nothing like how movies, or those horror high school stories make it out to be where everyone is jerks and rude for no reason.

Honestly it's kinda like Middle School all over again. You'll be surprised that folks still talk about Pokémon, Magic (the card game), Yu-Gi-Oh, and all that stuff. You'll see kids carrying stuffed animals or toting elementary backpacks (I knew a guy who had a Dora the Explorer backpack and a My Little Pony backpack).

The best advice I can give you is this, you should get an agenda so you can keep up with all your work, it for me because I would often forget what assignments were due on what day.

Also, if your school offers Speech, Debate, and or Keyboarding it's good to get those classes out of the way for credits.

Tutoring is always good too, there will come assignments that are hard but if you go to tutoring your teacher will help you get the right answer.

Also it's good to get your PE out of the way early so you have the rest of your school year free.

Also don't get Senioritis early, signs of it is the sudden urge to do nothing, looking forward to the end of senior year and getting lazy. I got it in my 10th grade year.

Keep your grades up especially in your junior year, and start volunteering. I dont know if your school has a club called the LEO club but if it does join it. It deals in volunteering which looks good on your transcripts for college. And its best to start applying for college junior year.

Also Halloween becomes a costume party, despite it being a Highschool students love dressing up!

Reactions: Iridium Winter and amirally27
  • If you have any required classes like a foreign language or gym class, I'd recommend getting those done as soon as possible
  • Don't worry about being popular
  • Try not to blink during school photos
  • Expect the bathrooms to be absolutely disgusting, make sure to use the bathroom before leaving home
  • Hopefully you're not like me and you won't end up constantly bumping into people as you walk around corners and end up doing an awkward dance as you figure out how to go around them...but yeah, avoid doing that

Don't be nervous, it's nothing like how movies, or those horror high school stories make it out to be where everyone is jerks and rude for no reason.

Honestly it's kinda like Middle School all over again. You'll be surprised that folks still talk about Pokémon, Magic (the card game), Yu-Gi-Oh, and all that stuff. You'll see kids carrying stuffed animals or toting elementary backpacks (I knew a guy who had a Dora the Explorer backpack and a My Little Pony backpack).

The best advice I can give you is this, you should get an agenda so you can keep up with all your work, it for me because I would often forget what assignments were due on what day.

Also, if your school offers Speech, Debate, and or Keyboarding it's good to get those classes out of the way for credits.

Tutoring is always good too, there will come assignments that are hard but if you go to tutoring your teacher will help you get the right answer.

Also it's good to get your PE out of the way early so you have the rest of your school year free.

Also don't get Senioritis early, signs of it is the sudden urge to do nothing, looking forward to the end of senior year and getting lazy. I got it in my 10th grade year.

Keep your grades up especially in your junior year, and start volunteering. I dont know if your school has a club called the LEO club but if it does join it. It deals in volunteering which looks good on your transcripts for college. And its best to start applying for college junior year.

Also Halloween becomes a costume party, despite it being a Highschool students love dressing up!

Wow. Thanks a ton for this information! I really appreciate it!!! :D

You're welcome :D

From someone who went through the British system of schooling:

It's unrewarding. Study hard to do well in important exams that will count towards your final score, but there's no need to bother about the rest. Assess whether teachers prefer rote-learned answers (all of mine did) or creativity (none of mine did) and just go along with their pattern to get good marks. Try to make teachers like you, because as insidious as it sounds, they'll probably give you better marks if they like you (I was the class clown in junior/11th, causing several teachers to dislike me and I always ended up getting three to eight marks less in 85-mark exams than the others who were on the same level as me, even when our answers would be worded almost exactly the same).

Find one best friend, and by that I mean one best friend. Otherwise you'll be very lonely even if you're 'friends with everyone.' Make sure you eat lunch right and never go to the bathroom if you can help it (I haven't seen a school bathroom for six years :panda: ).

Setting a time to study at night is a good idea and listening to music while self-studying is fine, but always go to bed by 11 PM or such. Never wake up at 1 or 2 AM to study for a test if you can help it, because your mind probably won't remember anything anyway by the time you're sitting the test.

Be sure to include fun stuff in your days too. You're a teen only once and it's best to enjoy yourself. There are some very fun moments in there that make you feel included. Writing a diary is a good idea, it lets you preserve your feelings and memories and also helps you organize your time, in a way. During the tough times, remind yourself that it happens to everyone at this point.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Sephiran, Marc and TheYESDragon
  • If you have any required classes like a foreign language or gym class, I'd recommend getting those done as soon as possible
  • Don't worry about being popular
  • Try not to blink during school photos
  • Expect the bathrooms to be absolutely disgusting, make sure to use the bathroom before leaving home
  • Hopefully you're not like me and you won't end up constantly bumping into people as you walk around corners and end up doing an awkward dance as you figure out how to go around them...but yeah, avoid doing that
lol good to know :rotfl:

Expect a lot of work, homework, projects, group work and stuff x.x
It's manageable but stressful plus with the tests and quizzes.
You should study at anytime possible during school session ^^
Thanks man :D Btw, how did you get so many play coins??!!!

It's unrewarding. Study hard to do well in important exams that will count towards your final score, but there's no need to bother about the rest. Assess whether teachers prefer rote-learned answers (all of mine did) or creativity (none of mine did) and just go along with their pattern to get good marks. Try to make teachers like you, because as insidious as it sounds, they'll probably give you better marks if they like you (I was the class clown in junior/11th, causing several teachers to dislike me and I always ended up getting three to eight marks less in 85-mark exams than the others who were on the same level as me, even when our answers would be worded almost exactly the same).

Find one best friend, and by that I mean one best friend. Otherwise you'll be very lonely even if you're 'friends with everyone.' Make sure you eat lunch right and never go to the bathroom if you can help it (I haven't seen a school bathroom for six years :panda: ).

Setting a time to study at night is a good idea and listening to music while self-studying is fine, but always go to bed by 11 PM or such. Never wake up at 1 or 2 AM to study for a test if you can help it, because your mind probably won't remember anything anyway by the time you're sitting the test.

Be sure to include fun stuff in your days too. You're a teen only once and it's best to enjoy yourself. There are some very fun moments in there that make you feel included. Writing a diary is a good idea, it lets you preserve your feelings and memories and also helps you organize your time, in a way. During the tough times, remind yourself that it happens to everyone at this point.

Best of luck.

Best of luck.

very, very helpful. I will definitely keep this in mind!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
More or less agreeing with Spinnerweb here, but to add to this (from the perspective of an American, as well):

If you were a good student up to this point, you'll probably coast through at least early high school. There's (usually) a point where the curriculum catches up to your natural ability, so be on the lookout for that. Aside from studying, the most important thing to learn in high school is time management. Learn how to efficiently manage your time, plan out your days, and always know what you're going to do. I work best under pressure and could and did put everything to the last possible moment, but not everybody can do this. Watch your time, maybe invest in a nice planner or something.

Classical music is said to assist in concentration and focusing on things, though I'm not sure how well it works. If you're having difficulty with things, be it studying or class itself, there's usually a lot of support for you. A lot of teachers, especially today, get into the field specifically because they like what they do. It's not rewarding otherwise, other than for the massive time off.

I believe that education in this country is slowly but surely changing. More and more teachers seem to be moving away from rote memorization and parroting answers back on tests in favor of projects and presentations that encourage actual learning and then showing what you've learned and what you can do. I'm not sure how much of this you'll see in your four years, but I think you might see some of this depending on where you end up.

Also, take 11th grade especially seriously because that's the year that colleges look at: your senior grades don't exist yet when they consider your application (though if you screw up they could revoke their acceptance), and if your grades aren't consistent from 9th-11th they're looking most for improvement through the years. Be a good student, but don't bother stressing out over college so early in the game.

Reactions: 18
More or less agreeing with Spinnerweb here, but to add to this (from the perspective of an American, as well):

If you were a good student up to this point, you'll probably coast through at least early high school. There's (usually) a point where the curriculum catches up to your natural ability, so be on the lookout for that. Aside from studying, the most important thing to learn in high school is time management. Learn how to efficiently manage your time, plan out your days, and always know what you're going to do. I work best under pressure and could and did put everything to the last possible moment, but not everybody can do this. Watch your time, maybe invest in a nice planner or something.

Classical music is said to assist in concentration and focusing on things, though I'm not sure how well it works. If you're having difficulty with things, be it studying or class itself, there's usually a lot of support for you. A lot of teachers, especially today, get into the field specifically because they like what they do. It's not rewarding otherwise, other than for the massive time off.

I believe that education in this country is slowly but surely changing. More and more teachers seem to be moving away from rote memorization and parroting answers back on tests in favor of projects and presentations that encourage actual learning and then showing what you've learned and what you can do. I'm not sure how much of this you'll see in your four years, but I think you might see some of this depending on where you end up.

Also, take 11th grade especially seriously because that's the year that colleges look at: your senior grades don't exist yet when they consider your application (though if you screw up they could revoke their acceptance), and if your grades aren't consistent from 9th-11th they're looking most for improvement through the years. Be a good student, but don't bother stressing out over college so early in the game.

Thank you so much for the information! :D I will definitely use this stuff through high school!!

Can anyone give me advice for highschool. Im going to be a freshman this year, and I want to know what to expect. Will it just be like transitioning from elemetary school to middle school? Or....
I'm having a great time as a freshman right now, made some cool friends and met some seniors that know my brother when they were freshman when my bro was a senior. Just getting along with everyone is key

Back