Homebrew Homebrews!

• Thread starter Afuldye
  • Start date
Afuldye

Afuldye

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
I figured as it's now easy to get homebrews to work, we could at least have somewhere to talk about it, I guess they will develop faster now that more people have access to it. (like @D4rkDragon said already somewhere)
So what homebrews are you using, and do you like them or not?

So in my case, I installed the exploit (tubehax), got my custom theme, even if the background music doesn't really work. :)
But I can see the hack isn't that stable. Half of the time I start youtube it either froze or show me an error message. But from time to time the homebrew launcher will launch and everything works perfectly. I really don't know why it doesn't work at times and does work the rest of the time but anyway. Am I the only one in this situation?
It also takes quite a while (like a good 30 seconds) from starting youtube to get to the homebrew launcher. looks a lot faster in the videos, maybe something to do with the speed of the sd card? I actually use the one that came with my new 3ds...
I already installed an app to get the extras coins you should have had by walking if this 10 coins limits didn't exist :) pretty neat, worked fine.
Also I noticed that you shouldn't close the 3ds while using homebrews, it just turns off the screen and it won't turn on again until you hard reset it.
I tried the homebrew browser, but didn't really get it to work... maybe I missed something. It actually froze just after starting and I could get nothing out of it afterwards.
DownloadMii which is kind of the same thing doesn't work either, It says offline mode active or something like that. I guess it's probably due to the hack unabling the internet connexion, which is a shame if you can't use online apps.
EDIT: I hope this message is not too messy! :eek:

Last edited:
Here's some things:
DownloadMii doesn't work because the person who made it killed the server and retired a week ago.
Homebrew Browser I'm not sure why it doesn't work but probably something like Downloadmii's reason
For closing your 3DS, try pressing the home button then closing your 3DS.
That thing to go over the coin limit kind of sucks if you don't walk a lot, use this one instead if you just want to set your play coins: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183608682/playcoin.zip

As for what homebrew I like to use...

all of them ;)

Reactions: Afuldye
About your custom team, have you tried using CHMM to install it?, I couldn't get the other program to work, but CHMM installed my theme perfectly (music, sounds and all)

Here's some things:
DownloadMii doesn't work because the person who made it killed the server and retired a week ago.
Homebrew Browser I'm not sure why it doesn't work but probably something like Downloadmii's reason
For closing your 3DS, try pressing the home button then closing your 3DS.
That thing to go over the coin limit kind of sucks if you don't walk a lot, use this one instead if you just want to set your play coins: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183608682/playcoin.zip
Thanks for the info about downloadmii :)
For the coins I'd rather keep using the "walk a lot" thing, the other one feels too much like cheating ;) And you don't need to walk that much anyway to get a good amount of coins: i just walked like two times 7 minutes today and got almost 30 coins, so it's good enough it think.

About your custom team, have you tried using CHMM to install it?, I couldn't get the other program to work, but CHMM installed my theme perfectly (music, sounds and all)
I used the one that came with smea hack it's named 3ds homemenu extdatatool. And I didn't made the theme myself, i downloaded one, I don't have the creativity to do this things. So I don't know if the foult comes from the theme itself or from the programm.

And anyways, does any of you have like me many crashes when trying to start Youtube? (or maybe you're just using another hack?)

Thanks for the info about downloadmii :)
For the coins I'd rather keep using the "walk a lot" thing, the other one feels too much like cheating ;) And you don't need to walk that much anyway to get a good amount of coins: i just walked like two times 7 minutes today and got almost 30 coins, so it's good enough it think.

I used the one that came with smea hack it's named 3ds homemenu extdatatool. And I didn't made the theme myself, i downloaded one, I don't have the creativity to do this things. So I don't know if the foult comes from the theme itself or from the programm.

And anyways, does any of you have like me many crashes when trying to start Youtube? (or maybe you're just using another hack?)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/chmm-custom-homemenu-manager.379349/
If you wanna try to use CHMM to install a custom theme (its also MUCH easier to use than extdatatool)

On the youtube thing, i didnt happen to have any problems when i used it, maybe I was just lucky, but I have already installed Ironhax, so I can't really tell you much more.

Ok I'll try it as soon as I have a screwdriver to take my micro sd out. Maybe it's more stable when you have ironhax. :unsure:

This is actually the first time I managed to hack with sucess any console I own since I managed to launch the Homebrew launcher just fine,but I need some help to install custom themes.So,the Homebrew launcher works just fine on my console by tubehax,and there is indeed the "3ds-homemenu-extdata" software on my SD card to install a specific theme,but I don't know if there's something wrong here,because I can't seem to get it right after doing what other video tutorials had told me to do.I want to use CHMM,which ended up as a WinRAR archive on my computer,and I tried to transfer the .3dsx archive into the card,but it doesn't appear on my Homebrew menu,even if I managed to download it.Oh,and the themes I downloaded so far were from http://www.3dsthemes.com/.So,how can I activate CHMM on my 3DS in my situation?

The language is set on Portuguese,although it can be understood just fine by the files,hopefully.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

After the 'Themes' folder,this is how the file archive of the theme'so folder should look like,right?

image.jpg

Oh,and here's what inside the 'installer' menu on the '3ds' folder.

image.jpg

By the way,here's the CHMM file I downloaded and opened through WinRAR.
image.jpg

(Sorry,but I'm new at this thing of hacking,and I hope I'm not asking too much information here :panda:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
This is actually the first time I managed to hack with sucess any console I own since I managed to launch the Homebrew launcher just fine,but I need some help to install custom themes.So,the Homebrew launcher works just fine on my console by tubehax,and there is indeed the "3ds-homemenu-extdata" software on my SD card to install a specific theme,but I don't know if there's something wrong here,because I can't seem to get it right after doing what other video tutorials had told me to do.I want to use CHMM,which ended up as a WinRAR archive on my computer,and I tried to transfer the .3dsx archive into the card,but it doesn't appear on my Homebrew menu,even if I managed to download it.Oh,and the themes I downloaded so far were from http://www.3dsthemes.com/.So,how can I activate CHMM on my 3DS in my situation?

The language is set on Portuguese,although it can be understood just fine by the files,hopefully.

View attachment 7945

View attachment 7946

View attachment 7947

After the 'Themes' folder,this is how the file archive of the theme'so folder should look like,right?

View attachment 7948

Oh,and here's what inside the 'installer' menu on the '3ds' folder.

View attachment 7949

By the way,here's the CHMM file I downloaded and opened through WinRAR.
View attachment 7950

(Sorry,but I'm new at this thing of hacking,and I hope I'm not asking too much information here :panda:)

Okay, first of extract the contents CHMM to a folder in your 3ds folder, that is:

D:\3ds\CHMM
and make sure all 3 files are there (.3ds,.3dsx and .cia)

Secondly, create a theme folder on the root of your SD card, and copy the theme over there and hopefully it will work well.

Sidenote: I'm just saying this from memory of what I did XD im sorry if it isnt accurate, but if it doesnt work, i'll get back to you after my classes :3 also, I've also been using 3dsthemes.com for my themes

Reactions: T-Player Guy
I downloaded my theme from the same website as you guys. Like I said earlier only the music didn't work. I didn't try CHMM yet, but for
"3ds-homemenu-extdata" you need to place your theme+music inside the "3ds-homemenu-extdata" folder.
so you get like
D:\3ds\3ds-homemenu-extdata\your theme
your theme must not be inside a folder. You have to click on the I think 3d option, the "permanent one" it seems like nothing happens, but when you go back to the home menu, the theme is here. At least it worked that way for me.

Okay, first of extract the contents CHMM to a folder in your 3ds folder, that is:

D:\3ds\CHMM
and make sure all 3 files are there (.3ds,.3dsx and .cia)

Secondly, create a theme folder on the root of your SD card, and copy the theme over there and hopefully it will work well.

Sidenote: I'm just saying this from memory of what I did XD im sorry if it isnt accurate, but if it doesnt work, i'll get back to you after my classes :3 also, I've also been using 3dsthemes.com for my themes

I downloaded my theme from the same website as you guys. Like I said earlier only the music didn't work. I didn't try CHMM yet, but for
"3ds-homemenu-extdata" you need to place your theme+music inside the "3ds-homemenu-extdata" folder.
so you get like
D:\3ds\3ds-homemenu-extdata\your theme
your theme must not be inside a folder. You have to click on the I think 3d option, the "permanent one" it seems like nothing happens, but when you go back to the home menu, the theme is here. At least it worked that way for me.
Ok,thanks! :D
I'll test wheter these methods will let me have the custom themes on my 3DS today. :thumbsup:

ok it seems tubehax is down at the moment.... I hope it'll get fixed, I've seen some guys on gbatemp saying the same thing. We just have to wait and see....

ok it seems tubehax is down at the moment.... I hope it'll get fixed, I've seen some guys on gbatemp saying the same thing. We just have to wait and see....
I did notice tubehax has been like that before,but now it works normally again(on my 3DS,at least).
So,I did the CHMM download,extracted the files into proper archives and transfer ended them into my SD card,and it does appear on my Homebrew menu,but once I start the program,it says that it doesn't recognize any file within the SD card,even though I did download some themes into folders inside the main CHMM folder itself.So,I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong here by mistaking some things,and what I could do to make these themes appear in the CHMM software on my 3DS to use the custom themes,please? :bear:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your themes folder should be on the root of your SD card I believe,. Try it out and tell me if it works.

Your themes folder should be on the root of your SD card I believe,. Try it out and tell me if it works.
Sorry,but what do you mean with "the root of your SD card"? :unsure:

Themes should be on (Letter:\THEMES).
The root of a drive is Letter:\. Example: C:\, F:\

@Chickenfoot forgot to add that inside the Themes folder you have to make another folder for your theme named whatever you want inside the Themes folder and put the files in there. That way you can select multiple themes to install if you want to switch themes.

Only reason I'll use homebrew is to play region-locked games. :D

I hoped I woudn't have to question here again,but I have a little weird situation here. :writing:
So,I finally managed to make the themes I wanted to appear in the CHMM software by moving the themes into folders and placing them on the root of my SD card,but it doesn't show the preview image as it was supposed to for the themes within the console itself,and when I actually select the theme and return to the 3DS menu(I did press the install button and exited Homebrew righ away),only the basic white menu appears,and not custom theme I selected.I'm sure this has to do with something within the theme folder on how I placed or ordered it,but otherwise,I am curious to know how I can fix that problem if possible,please.Until then,here are some more photos of how my theme arrangement and CHMM software are looking at the moment.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If I remember well, you need to have a theme from the eshop already installed on your 3ds. I downloaded a sonic theme (the only one thqt's free) a couple of weeks ago, it might still be there. Or maybe it was only for europe I have no idea.

As far as i remember, i selected a "premium" theme first (the red one) and then went to CHMM, after installing from there, it had a message, after which i exited and returned to the home screen, it worked out properly. But, I'm not completely sure how I got it to work (if i did anything extra), hopefully this helps you.

Back