Ultimate How did Minecraft's Steve change Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I see that Steve is now playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I wonder how he's changed the game after his addition.

I saw a video where he can build blocks one on top of each other. Sounds like a pain to jump across, unless you can destroy them with a couple of good ol' attacks.

Reactions: Deepak
So far i've fought against 2 steves online. Everybody's saying "so OP" and "so broken". But honestly, they say that for literally every character. Like for hero. Many people wanted him banned in tournaments and stuff because he was broken and apparently changed the whole game. But fast forward to more than a year afterwards and he's just a normal character that's pretty balanced.

The blocks can be broken pretty easily with most up specials. But it can be annoying for those that teleport (like palutena and mewtwo). But the teleportation characters can still get around most of the time. The blocks break quite fast. And it's hard to perfectly place blocks in desired locations due to his floaty and really small jump. And his recovery isnt that good. It's ok. It can be punished quite easily. He's definitely a unique character and people may need to adapt new playstyles when fighting him (Mainly go super aggressive and try to prevent him from mining as much as possible). Annoying? Maybe. But broken? I don't think so.

I'm interested to see how people use him in tournaments and stuff. And i'm sure that many moves will get nerfed in the future.

Reactions: Mizunil
So far i've fought against 2 steves online. Everybody's saying "so OP" and "so broken". But honestly, they say that for literally every character. Like for hero. Many people wanted him banned in tournaments and stuff because he was broken and apparently changed the whole game. But fast forward to more than a year afterwards and he's just a normal character that's pretty balanced.

Perhaps this is because when a character is new, no one knows how to play as them or play against them, which then leads into misinformation about how it works and people then believing something is broken when infact, they just don't understand it. As time passes, people understand how the character works more (+ any needed changes for actual broken things) and so less people call it op and broken.

Reactions: Deepak
I feel like Steve definitely gives a fresh new perspective, as you have to gather resources to do most attacks (and to enhance the weapon attacks). But I don't think he changes the game.

The main stuff I heard people discussing about was block edgegaurds.

Sure, you can place blocks near ledge, but they don't last very long. The zones where you can place the blocks are also pretty small, so characters with high recoveries or can recover well horizontally are very safe. He's a pretty balanced character, but it is super hard to get him to stop mining! He can make a house, stall you with a TNT block, etc. And his down air is so strong and fast! You can't catch it with an upwards move like with other characters because the anvil is treated as a solid block, so it's pretty annoying. Minecart is also strong! It's like giving you the power to insta grap anyone approaching you.

He did? I thought Sakurai changes Ultimate not Steve. Anyway we might get more balance patches and that could really change the game. Not one character that no one knows how to play. Yeah he looks like how Inkling or K. Rool did with armor and the ability to bury opponents (free kills). But he probably will take a long time to be optimized and most people won't play him anyways because he's Steve and not Geno.

Back