Mario Maker How do you feel about those troll/ impossible levels?

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
Well since i had pre ordered Mario maker for the 3ds i decided to go on YouTube and watch some videos for the wii u version just to get some nice ideas or even some encouragement for level making. I have also noticed there are quite a few people out there who absolutely love making troll/ impossible levels, i had already expected to run into that while watching videos given anyone can make or post anything as long as they beat it first (im pretty sure you have to beat it first or you cant post, might be wrong but it would make sense). What amazes most of all though with these is that people actually try to beat them even though the maker made it is hard as possible and so forth, i can understand people being determined to do what id call "best the troll" and beat the level so they can either lol at them or just be glad they did it altogether kek :p

My question is this though: how do you guys feel about the troll or seemingly impossible levels on mario maker for the Wii u? I had a rough time not laughing watching videos of some, but ive got to give the creator credit for being crafty of course! :p

Last edited:
I actually think that most of the troll levels can be kind of fun, in a weird sort of way. I somewhat enjoy a few of these levels, such as the parody of the Sans fight from Undertale. The only time I really dislike troll levels are during 10 Mario run and 100 Mario Run, or the levels that say "don't move!," but actually require you to move at the very end...

I actually think that most of the troll levels can be kind of fun, in a weird sort of way. I somewhat enjoy a few of these levels, such as the parody of the Sans fight from Undertale. The only time I really dislike troll levels are during 10 Mario run and 100 Mario Run, or the levels that say "don't move!," but actually require you to move at the very end...

yes, i too am aware of levels with what some may perceive as deceiving titles or maze levels. i watched somebody play one stage that was named Dont trust anything and of course (and once i again, i predicted this as im highly skilled at detecting traps and this sort of thing, its not hard to detect if you know what to look for and so forth) the level was loaded with false paths that either directly spiked you out if you took them or looped you backwards. the part that made me laugh the most watching this one was towards the beginning where this pipe had a down arrow above it, and (again) this person was gullible enough to go that way and of course it was one hit kill. all you have to do to know thats an obvious trap is read the title and see thats too easy to be the correct path.

awfully sad that someone went into such an obvious trap kek :p

I feel very angry and i am very deceive that since i am having the 3ds version i can't give an unlike to the level or to give an angry comment to those fake mario maker creators , but i think in the wii U we can do it .Some times if even when i lose 3 or 4 times in the same level i exit it !

I feel very angry and i am very deceive that since i am having the 3ds version i can't give an unlike to the level or to give an angry comment to those fake mario maker creators , but i think in the wii U we can do it .Some times if even when i lose 3 or 4 times in the same level i exit it !

Wow lol. No wonder levels like the guessing game or troll insanity get so few clears XD cant say im surprised though to be honest, people dont want to spend hours on a level in 100 mario challenge and waste a bunch of levels in a single stage, we want a fair level thats just a normal hard level without trolls all over the place :p cant really blame people for that, what was original here is now way out of proportion XD

To keep explanation simple, we want people to make a level--not a mess. :D

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64
I've never really bonded with Mario Maker that much. I've been distracted with Red Earth, and now Darksiders: Warmastered Edition. (I've only made one level on that MMKR so I guess I'm not that creative. :/)

I've never really bonded with Mario Maker that much. I've been distracted with Red Earth, and now Darksiders: Warmastered Edition. (I've only made one level on that MMKR so I guess I'm not that creative. :/)

Meh, i wouldn't say only making one level on its own means you aren't that creative. Yeah, some people might catch on to the idea more easily than others, but i think anyone can make an amazing level with enough practice and careful thought! ;D

Well most of the time they are ok. They are also kind of funin a weird kind of way. Maybe it has to do with carefully going through, thinking before entering that door and whatnot. Its also really easy to find secret cheeses in the levels that troll makers did not noice, such as jumping over a spike which the maker thought was impossible, or keeping that Yoshi which you were supposed to lose. Or the typical find that dev star...

Reactions: Kadaj
Well most of the time they are ok. They are also kind of funin a weird kind of way. Maybe it has to do with carefully going through, thinking before entering that door and whatnot. Its also really easy to find secret cheeses in the levels that troll makers did not noice, such as jumping over a spike which the maker thought was impossible, or keeping that Yoshi which you were supposed to lose. Or the typical find that dev star...
yeah ive seen plenty of loopholes like that as well, though most troll levels ive run into and seen are pretty well patched out so to speak, meaning the creator was very thorough and preventing the possible cheese tactics you mentioned by putting the right obstacles in place to prevent these sort of things from working (leaving out that cheap star in hidden block here of course, those are usually in 'troll levels' that spam enemies at you when you start). i do understand the fun of the suspense tho, that isnt a bad thing to have either :p the fun of surprise as i like to say

I don't mind them, i feel like they are more of like a test of memory and skill, plus once you figure them out and are one of the few to have completed the level than you can brag about that

I don't mind them, i feel like they are more of like a test of memory and skill, plus once you figure them out and are one of the few to have completed the level than you can brag about that
yeah, its kinda difficult tho sometimes as to how to label these kinds of levels correctly though, as ive even some kaizo levels with occasional trolls in them and they're still extremely difficult, usually more difficult than trolly but they can be a combination of both (which is ultimate nasty in mario maker, these dont even hit 1% on clear rate most of the time and the death counts are unreal). yeah, we've seen trolly and spammy combined before which i could probably deal with to a point, but when you bring this stuff in kaizo im sorry but i wont have time to play around with it much (assuming id be able to clear it).

yeah, its kinda difficult tho sometimes as to how to label these kinds of levels correctly though, as ive even some kaizo levels with occasional trolls in them and they're still extremely difficult, usually more difficult than trolly but they can be a combination of both (which is ultimate nasty in mario maker, these dont even hit 1% on clear rate most of the time and the death counts are unreal). yeah, we've seen trolly and spammy combined before which i could probably deal with to a point, but when you bring this stuff in kaizo im sorry but i wont have time to play around with it much (assuming id be able to clear it).
Well it’s still fun to play for the first time but after that when you keep dying a bunch it gets less fun, but the bad ones are when you think it’s easy and at the end they put a troll death so you have to go through all your work again, now that I think about it, have you ever thought about the reactions of people who have completed levels with less than 1% completion rate?

Well it’s still fun to play for the first time but after that when you keep dying a bunch it gets less fun, but the bad ones are when you think it’s easy and at the end they put a troll death so you have to go through all your work again, now that I think about it, have you ever thought about the reactions of people who have completed levels with less than 1% completion rate?
Well its definitely good for your satisfaction, i suppose. but for me its too much work and too little progress when the trolls reach a certain extreme. they are good for people who want suspense when they play, and i could handle a subtle troll or even medium one, but when its too nasty it can get repetitive and tiring, i agree with that. kinda hard to imagine the reaction of the people who are the under 1% to finish the level (im no good at math but this is probably high deaths and very little or no clears), i could see some people sitting there in utter silence holding their heads and others saying stuff like 'omg i freaking did it...' and stuff like that. :p it would definitely feel good if this happened to me but im not counting on it :'D

Well its definitely good for your satisfaction, i suppose. but for me its too much work and too little progress when the trolls reach a certain extreme. they are good for people who want suspense when they play, and i could handle a subtle troll or even medium one, but when its too nasty it can get repetitive and tiring, i agree with that. kinda hard to imagine the reaction of the people who are the under 1% to finish the level (im no good at math but this is probably high deaths and very little or no clears), i could see some people sitting there in utter silence holding their heads and others saying stuff like 'omg i freaking did it...' and stuff like that. :p it would definitely feel good if this happened to me but im not counting on it :'D
Not to mention that it’s probably the people who have over hundreds of hours in the game and are VERY good at it, and spend a lot of time each day.

I don’t care about them much till you get to 100 mario challenge on expert, it really messes up the flow ;(

I don’t care about them much till you get to 100 mario challenge on expert, it really messes up the flow ;(
yeah this kind of levels can really screw you over especially on super expert where for most its the luck of the draw. most of us lack time and the necessary skill to beat these and the trolls on super expert are almost always brutal, which obviously eats up the lives very fast. even the time trials which are unique in my opinion can easily kill your run since its all about trial and error here, the only difference is theres more skill involved vs troll levels which can be pure luck and less skill or worse a combination of both which can also destroy your run. even though we only get 6 levels on super expert, its still incredibly daunting and even though expert is much more subtle here this is still a common problem for both that wrecks the run for most

Back