SwSh How do you think we'll get Pokemon that are not available in Sword/Shield?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
It's already been confirmed that Game Freak isn't going to have all 800+ Pokemon in the upcoming Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield games. There is hope though because updates (free or paid) and new games are a thing. Unfortunately, I don't think Poke Bank will be compatible :( and besides Poke Bank, I'm not sure if there's a way for people to transfer Pokemon from previous games to the new Switch games.

So my question to you today is.. how do you think Game Freak will expand the limited Pokemon we get in the new games?

Do you think they'll release free/paid DLC with the additional Pokemon?
Do you think they'll change their mind about Poke Bank?
Do you feel we'll get more Pokemon games on the Nintendo Switch where we can trade over Wi-Fi?
Or is there something else that I'm not thinking about that can make this work? :redpanda:

they arent gonna do anything most likely. maybe when a new game drops they'll add all the "new" models to SwSh

None of the above. They will force people to only use certain Pokémon regardless of tiers and then create their own rulesets for everyone to enjoy and if you don't like it... Pokémon Showdown will have all the Pokémon/abilities anyway.

They will force people to only use certain Pokémon regardless of tiers and then create their own rulesets for everyone to enjoy and if you don't like it...
Don't they do that already but also have an everything-goes as optional?

Don't they do that already but also have an everything-goes as optional?
Well yes and no. In their battle facilities no but in regular battles against other people yes.

None of the above. They will force people to only use certain Pokémon regardless of tiers and then create their own rulesets for everyone to enjoy and if you don't like it... Pokémon Showdown will have all the Pokémon/abilities anyway.
I think this has been the case for every tournament leading up to the World Championships everytime a new generation has been released. Like Artisan says, it's more likely than not that we won't get to see any of those other Pokemon in play for a while. I also think Pokebank will be made compatible, however, we'll probably only be able to transfer Pokemon that are in the Dex and everything else will get some type of "can't transfer" notification.

I'd be nice if we got them as free DLC or a game patch, but I don't see Gamefreak or Nintendo doing that.

Isn't this what Pokémon Home is for to transfer Pokémon from PokeBank to SwSh? I know you can only trade one way. I wonder if a certain Pokémon that you cannot get in SwSh, it'll just say 'cannot transfer this Pokemon'.
Anyway, from the Pokémon Home App, you can trade your Pokémon over that way or so I've read.

So much for 'Gotta Catch 'em All!'

Anyway, from the Pokémon Home App, you can trade your Pokémon over that way or so I've read.
To be fair, it would be really nice to get your Pokemon from X&Y all the way to Sword and Shield, plus this would increase the popularity of Pokemon Go

until someone walks on the road and gets hit by a car

To be fair, it would be really nice to get your Pokemon from X&Y all the way to Sword and Shield, plus this would increase the popularity of Pokemon Go

until someone walks on the road and gets hit by a car
Too late, I think that already happened multiple times in the state of California.

Too late, I think that already happened multiple times in the state of California.
I meant again... lol

There's no reason to think it can't be possible for older Pokemon to end up in SwSh. They specifically made it a point that pokemon who will be included in the Galar Dex will be transferrable, just not all of them. So it stands to reason that any Pokemon can be transferred to SwSh if they so chose. It all just amounts to whether they feel like putting in the time and effort to make that a reality, which they are clearly not invested in doing.

Do I believe Pokemon Sword and Shield will get all Pokemon? In post-release, possibly. But I would not count on it. As for future games, I feel like Game Freak doubling down on their policy shift gives me no confidence that they will make sure all Pokemon are included in future titles, and dare I say it, may spell disaster for the franchise if they don't change their tune quickly.

The Upcoming App Pokemon Home is compatible with Pokemon Bank so you'll be able to transfer Pokemon to there. The only thing is at this point, we don't know anything about Home's Features.

Back