SSBM How do you wavedash and what is it best used for?

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I have Project M and I've been wondering how to wavedash because it's something that everyone that plays Melee or Project M a lot talks about. I have never been able to pull it off, I know you have to air dodge towards the ground then jump and repeat, but I can't seem to pull it off. I've looked at some people do it but it seems really hard to do. I'm always doing it slowly, but when I do it the opponent seems to get me at the end of the air dodge. I never understood how you're supposed to use it either. All people told me was that it's a good movement but I never actually made use of the tech. I can do a bit of L-cancelling though, just wavedashing is the issue. Anyone got any ideas?
Wavedash_Example.gif

Trying to pull it off to do something like this. Not really working out, the effect of the air dodge lingers at the end before hitting the ground.

You'll know if you wavedash if you skid across the floor and a trail of dust follows behind you. It definitely takes practice and speed. What you'll want to do is do a short jump, then immediately do a downward diagonal airdodge. Make sure you hit the ground while the airdodge is in effect (similar to L-cancelling), and if you're fast enough, a wavedash should execute. I would suggest going to final destination in practice mode with Luigi, as he has the longest wavedash in the game (Peach and Zelda have the shortest by comparison) just to get a feel of how it should look. Set the practice to a slower setting, half speed should be good, and just practice it. Eventually increase the speed until it is normal speed and practice. Then after you have done so with Luigi, try the same method out with your main(s) to get a feel of their wavedash lengths, and also come up with strategies on how to use it effectively. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 3905 and Hikki
Wavedashing is hard to master, and isn't as easy as it seems. Wavedashing is a very advanced technique and requires concertation to master. If you are going to wavedash, go to practice mode and use Luigi. Ice Climbers, Luigi and mewtwo all ultize wavedashing best to get to another position or avoid an attack.

If you want to be more a bit complex, try short-hopping, then air dodge diagonally to the ground.

Like everyone says, practice.

Wave Dashing can be kinda hard to execute depending on the character that you are using , but it will be good to see some practice videos and try to imitate that . It's pretty hard but just trying it over and over to get practice and you will eventually get it :D

Everlasting looks simple, but it's not as simple as it seems. Practice this AT in training mode at half speed and watch closely. And everlasting is like a reliable dodge option, or for mind games since you can react after the dodge.

Yea like everyone says its hard to master but when you master this awesome wavedashing it could be fun to use! LOL! The opponent wont know which way your going and its like a element of surprise and it best works in super smash melee! I love to wavedash its the best mindgame tech out there

Yea like everyone says its hard to master but when you master this awesome wavedashing it could be fun to use! LOL! The opponent wont know which way your going and its like a element of surprise and it best works in super smash melee! I love to wavedash its the best mindgame tech out there
But when you master it it's like making a sandwich: you have every ingredient, butter, cheese, mayonnaise, and the ham, and when you are finished you can eat! That's how I felt when I mastered wavedashing.

But when you master it it's like making a sandwich: you have every ingredient, butter, cheese, mayonnaise, and the ham, and when you are finished you can eat! That's how I felt when I mastered wavedashing.
exactly if you master it you can do it with your eyes close and just be a god damn boss with it looks cool when you perform it and its a great thing to show off with it. Like when you kill someone and you waiting just do that and the rage will be real lol. But its cool and everyone should learn how to do it

Back