how does competitive pokemon work?

• Thread starter atomic_ian
  • Start date
atomic_ian

atomic_ian

you gonna get rekt
Towns Folk
the thing is that i have been playing pokemon a long time ago and i´ve never been interested in learning how to play pokemon in a competitive way, like caring for nature, iv´s or smogon rules and the such, but lately i´ve had the urge to change the way i do things and i thought it could be fun to learn how to play like that. Now, i´m looking for someone that canteach me in the most simple way, since i´m new to this competitive play i understand only so much, which is why i need help of anyone that is up for the task.

Your question is much harder to answer that you think it is

Is like to explain how to fry an egg, without explaining what is fire, heat, fry and egg

That video may help you to learn the basics

Then, you could watch Youtubers video's and how do they play

My personal recomendation: PokeAimMD
Avoid at all cost (I mean it seriously): Verlisify

Reactions: atomic_ian

Your question is much harder to answer that you think it is

Is like to explain how to fry an egg, without explaining what is fire, heat, fry and egg

That video may help you to learn the basics

Then, you could watch Youtubers video's and how do they play

My personal recomendation: PokeAimMD
okay, if you think it´ll help, then thank you. i appreaciate this.

I'm not the only one huh xD

Reactions: Zukrad
I'm thinking about learning how to IV or EV (whichever one it is :confused:) to I love playing Pokémon for fun but while I am waiting to get OR AS I think I'll give this shot since I finished XY.

I'm thinking about learning how to IV or EV (whichever one it is :confused:) to I love playing Pokémon for fun but while I am waiting to get OR AS I think I'll give this shot since I finished XY.
EVs are Effort Values, you gain them by battling certain Pokémon.
Example, battling Whismur gives you 1 EV in HP, while Battling Tailow gives you 1 in Speed, each stat can have an amount of 252 EVs in one stat, you can get up to 510 EVs in one of your Pokémon.
4 EVs = 1 Stat Point at lv 100
Ex: 0 EVs Pikachu has 211 HP, 252 EVs Pikachu has 274 HP

IVs are Individual Values, the Pokémon is born with a certain combination of them, is like DNA, and is impossible to change
IVs can go from 0 to 31
1 IV = 1 Stat Point at lv 100
Ex: 0 IVs Pikachu has 180 HP, 31 IVs Pikachu has 211

@Marc I think you're the best person to help him out here. I was even more clueless and you even managed to explain competitive playing to me. :p

Reactions: atomic_ian
I wrote guides about EV training and IVs :
For competitive play, you'll have to learn about Pokemon types and building a core.

Before you begin that, first learn about EVs and IVs.

Reactions: atomic_ian and PersonSP
I wrote guides about EV training and IVs :
For competitive play, you'll have to learn about Pokemon types and building a core.

Before you begin that, first learn about EVs and IVs.
wow! these instructions are actually understandable to me, thanks a ton!

Back