How SSB4 Will "Feel"

• Thread starter Artisan
  • Start date
Artisan

Artisan

Hard At Work
Forum Moderator
v See this first v
Dang I might feel disappointed. "It feels more like Brawl than Melee... It's 1/4 faster than Brawl... It feels more like Brawl than Melee... Frame buffer for online play." I have mixed feelings, I love how Melee played and the freedom you get however in Brawl the game was the polar opposite where the special moves were designed to have you play cautiously, meaning you were forced into the move once you've used it. I am all for the Melee playstyle more than anything however Sakurai compromised his ways and still wanted beginner players to have fun in the party game. I like the idea of defensive play and I don't see much wrong with it (besides Sakurai said certain Melee mechanics broke the balance) although I don't like using special moves and being trapped in them. Shielding/rolling is basically required in any strategy you want to make up in order to keep yourself from not taking too much damage. And I am a little relieved as the 3DS version would have some control feel issues (just because it is a Circle Pad and not an analog stick). Honestly I can see there being SSB4 mods once again so what are you thoughts?

I've never played Melee :panda:

I definitely would like it to be a bit much more like Melee, mostly because it seems to be incredibly fast and generally more fun. As I am getting the 3DS version, i am glad it is easier to control. I just hope it isn't overly sensitive. >.<

I honestly preferred brawl. In my experiences melee was too focussed on twitch reflexes and waiting out for your opponent to make that one small mistake. Brawl was more about chipping them down, and I enjoyed that more. From what I've seen this looks like a mix of both but I'm hoping for a more brawlesque style of gameplay.

No matter if it's "more like Brawl" or "more like Melee", I know I'll enjoy it. I mean, the game looks really smooth in the video (as the guy said, it's 60fps, so no lag :D), and seems like they're starting to exploit a bit more the WiiU's/3DS' hardware and show the WiiU's/3DS' capabilities.

And I bet that if you want an experience that close to Melee, Sakurai probably added some kind of mode/rules that enable a few mechanics that were used in Melee. And I guess the same thing will go for Brawl.

However, why are you relieved that the 3DS version of Smash 4 will have control issues ? Because you'll wait for your opponent's finger to slide off to KO him ?

Finally, about mods: I think finding an exploit in this game will be harder. I think hackers will probably try more to find an exploit to access the kernel mode of the WiiU or the 3DS (thus enabling homebrew and system modification) than adding some additional ARM/ASM code to load mods. I might be wrong, though, but, in any case, there won't be mods for the 3DS/WiiU version before a while, :whistle:.

In any case, I know that I'll have fun with this game. I loved all the SSB, and this one won't be an exception, even if "it's more like Brawl". Enough said.

To me, Melee is much more of a fast-paced Smash like the first one but with brawl's game speed change, a lot of players were disappointed with SSBBrawl. In a fighting game website I sometimes go to, Eventhubs.com, They didn't make SSBBrawl much of an appeal unlike Melee, they're still into it. Anyways, back to topic, I would certainly feel that the new Smash Bros is just a reboot of Brawl. it certainly looks like Brawl but with a little tweaks here and there and I think Melee's game speed is a little too fast to be honest. I just hope they have an option in the new smash to adjust the game speed to your liking that would even work in wireless play lol

I don't find Super Smash Bros. Brawl was all that bad, I like the both game's battle speed equally. As @MMMs said, I too feel like Super Smash Bros. 4 will just be an upgraded, "reboot" of Brawl, all the loose ends that Brawl had would be taken care of- in this iteration of Super Smash Bros.

I agree with @D4rkDragon, even if the game is more like Brawl, I know I'd like it. I wasn't really expecting it to have a Melee "feel" anyways.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
No matter if it's "more like Brawl" or "more like Melee", I know I'll enjoy it. I mean, the game looks really smooth in the video (as the guy said, it's 60fps, so no lag :D), and seems like they're starting to exploit a bit more the WiiU's/3DS' hardware and show the WiiU's/3DS' capabilities.

And I bet that if you want an experience that close to Melee, Sakurai probably added some kind of mode/rules that enable a few mechanics that were used in Melee. And I guess the same thing will go for Brawl.

However, why are you relieved that the 3DS version of Smash 4 will have control issues ? Because you'll wait for your opponent's finger to slide off to KO him ?

Finally, about mods: I think finding an exploit in this game will be harder. I think hackers will probably try more to find an exploit to access the kernel mode of the WiiU or the 3DS (thus enabling homebrew and system modification) than adding some additional ARM/ASM code to load mods. I might be wrong, though, but, in any case, there won't be mods for the 3DS/WiiU version before a while, :whistle:.

In any case, I know that I'll have fun with this game. I loved all the SSB, and this one won't be an exception, even if "it's more like Brawl". Enough said.
Those were quotes of what the guy in the video said. Those were his words and not mine as they should be because I haven't played it yet and they could be different from what the game will feel like as it was more of an incomplete demo than the whole game and it was an older one at that. I said "I might be disappointed" not saying I am disappointed as I have not played it yet and I would lack evidence for my opinion.

Doubt it. Sure Brawl is older and more closer to Melee time wise but I'm sure Sakurai has valid opinions of not having it play like Melee as it was an older work of his and in order to do a good job now as he is working from the Brawl up. If his balance was designed on having the characters follow through with their moves then more power to him and that is some clever way to balance the characters (however I personally don't see how it is balance breaking if every character can do that but it is unfair to beginner players).

Perhaps the Wii U version will sell better because of it. If you have trouble with the controls the only person to blame is yourself. Since the 3DS might be hard to handle and your thumb isn't suitable for the Circle Pad but instead an analog stick then you should've thought this up before and only got the Wii U version. Yes that could happen if the opponent almost breaks his 3DS trying to play the thing (like say I'm glad since it would break if you got a competitive player that plays like they do in Melee then they would be more likely to break a button or the Circle Pad.

I don't know. I'm sure they are closer than you might think as the security is only as strong as the person willing to get through it and these are games anyway that you are going to play (system you paid for) but I'm sure Nintendo is against pirating attempts so if you intend on modding and making your own works I suspect the best way to practice is on the security we set up.

When I first played Brawl I didn't care about specifics and there were neat mechanics from that game. If there's loads of single player content I shouldn't care how the game plays until the harder A. I. comes around and then it would be a legit challenge (knowing how KIU is still beatable up to the point I thought it was on the verge of impossible.

I won't get this game and get azure striker Gunvolt instead,because I'm convinced the leak is true,and I might break my circle pad. Can't risk it.....

Hmmm I see what your getting at here, wondering how it will feel, I think it might feel more like brawl than melee (I haven't played brawl or melee a whole lot myself although...) I hope it will be like N64 though :3

Hmm it's been ages since I've played the N64 version, I can't even remember how it really felt. The only thing that comes to mind is how broken jigglypuff is in that game.
We're discussing how it might feel but a large factor that comes into the feel is the fact that we're going to be playing on 3DSes. I think they'll slow it down a little just because there's so much less control with a 3DS than a gamecube controller. For the wiiU too if they make us use the tablet controller I can't see anyone having the same levels of control they had in melee.

Not a huge difference and it isn't necessarily bad that there is a slight lag in SSB4 but some moves might give you less control versus more basic moves giving you more control but less range/launch power.

Reactions: MMMs
Back