• Thread starter Shamymyamo
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shamymyamo

Shamymyamo

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
I am just curious to know how you guys explained this game to friends or your family, so I wanted to know your input because when I try to explain this game, people always say it sounds pretty stupid but little do they know how addictive it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
One way you can explain this game to people is relating to their knowledge of shooters, then tell them to replace bullets with ink, guns with super soakers, bombs with waterballoons (with less water), soldiers with squid humanoids, and then say the game takes place in Tokyo (It's better not to say inkopolis, because they'll give you a blank stare). xD

One way you can explain this game to people is relating to their knowledge of shooters, then tell them to replace bullets with ink, guns with super soakers, bombs with waterballoons (with less water), soldiers with squid humanoids, and then say the game takes place in Tokyo (It's better not to say inkopolis, because they'll give you a blank stare). xD
Yeah I'm more than knowledgeable about that blank star and the are you really serious look because I say this is a game where you play as a squid and a kid now shooting each other to get each others turf by covering the battlefield with ink

Yeah I'm more than knowledgeable about that blank star and the are you really serious look because I say this is a game where you play as a squid and a kid now shooting each other to get each others turf by covering the battlefield with ink

That's a good way to sum it all up! :thumbsup:

It helps to just say that it's advanced paintballing. I also say that it's the Nintendo version of CoD (ik it isn't like it but I still say it is). Best way to explain: show them the commercial that goes "YOU'RE A KID, NOW YOU'RE A SQUID!" Gives the basics of Splatoon to a newbie.

If they think the concept is stupid, just remind them that a very popular game is one involving an italian plumber (or gardener, depending on the theory) jumping on mushrooms and eating them to get taller to save a princess who was captured by a giant turtle.

Reactions: Mikaya
Pretty paintball splash game thing ^-^

That's how I described it to my sis.

I did try recommending Splatoon to a friend once :p I said that it was a really fun shooting game where you shoot paint at each other and transform into squid and cover areas with paint . I also told him that online was a pretty epic thing as well :D ( you're a squid , you're a kid @.@ )

Reactions: 423
I explained this game to one of my cousins like this,
"Bro, this isn't Call of Duty. It pretty much has nothing to do with Call of Duty. You can't quickscope, there are no care packages, you can't hear 11 year olds scream at you, and the guns don't travel very far. Instead of bullets, it's ink. It's pretty original." He actually tried it out, and he liked it, despite him being a Call of Duty fanboy.

Reactions: Samuel_1802 and Mikaya
Well, if I were to explain it to someone, I would first talk about shooters in general and how this has a different style than traditional shooters. There are 2 teams of 4 on a certain stage, trying to get the most turf. You may shoot other squids in order to make them go back from the start, then you can spread more ink on the battleground. Whoever has the most ink wins. Then I would actually show them the game so they see how fun it is

To explain Splatoon, I'd use terms that the simple human could understand. Like so.

"Splatoon is like what would happen if Call of Duty, CoD for short, was closer to it's acronym. What do you mean? Well, CoD looks a lot like cod, the fish. Ah yes, Splatoon stars aquatic creautres. Such intelligence you have there!! Now, these aquatic creatures are called Squids. They like getting into turf wars. Imagine that you and your friends are fighting over spots at lunch. It's like that. Except instead of one seat, it's a whole place, and the mark there spot with ink, similar to the stuff you find inside your pen. Ah yes, you understand now? Yes, the game is about squids who mark their spot with ink. Good, good."

Reactions: Mikaya
I just told my mom it's Call of Duty for squids. She understand the concept immediately because my dad is a big COD fanatic. She also watch me play during the naughty vs nice splatfest. I think it's cool that team naughty won. Merry squidmas! :cat:

When I had splatoon explained to me and I thought it sounded really cool, it was basically described as: a colourful tuft coverage game where you could only walk on your own marked turf, with an arsenal of tools, and a smaller focus on shooter aspect and weapons.
& then we talked about the different types of weapons and reloading, and buckets (they're cool but they're actually really underwhemling to watch), and how it was squids.

I don't have the game system so I can't play it but that was the conversation I had about splatoon that made me really excited about the game.

Last edited:
Paintball Fanatic Humanoid Squids Compete For More Turf and Become Fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back