How to get rid of Pop-ups and other ads?

• Thread starter CJ
  • Start date
CJ

CJ

You not gon' ge me!
Towns Folk
I have been having a lot of trouble with ads lately. Most of the time when I click on something, a Pop-up just appears on my browser. I tried to live with it, but now I have a worse problem...

While I am reading something on a webpage or just wait for a website to load or something (basically not clicking once for a few seconds), it redirects me to an ad on the SAME tab, and when I try to go back, it leads me to a fresh tab and I have to reload the page again. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I use Google chrome, if that helps any.

Can you give some more information, like for example whether the page you keep getting redirected to is the same one every time, just with different ad (check domain name of where you get redirected to), etc?

Do you have Adblock Plus? It's available on most platforms, and it's the most effective blocker I've seen.
Heck, I use it all the time here. (A pox on the ad-machine. It got to this lovely site too, and I still hate it.)

...Anyway, Are you a PC or Mac user? I think Adblock Plus can fit both, but I don't use Macs.
Here's a link. http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Reactions: Eric Cartman and Mikaya
Are those crappy virus pop-ups and ads? or are them already on the website you enter?

Have you tried scanning for malware or anything else that might be on your computer? If so, what anti-virus have you got?

Anyway, download what @Erix Summerdown said and that should clear it up. If that doesn't work then you most likely have something malicious and you then need a better anti-virus.

Personally, I use firefox (Dev edition to be exact) and on here there's an add-on called strict pop-up blocker that might help as well as the Ad block plus. It litually blocks everything that opens a new tab or a new window, it can get a bit annoying but it has an easy switch to switch it on and off and it could help you for now.

Actually for me a program called adwcleaner worked perfectly for me when i had the same problem :)

I had that problem couple times already and it turned out I had malwares. My boyfriend downloaded Malwarebytes on my computer, scanned with it and the problem was solved.

Adware cleaner along with adblock helps a lot with me on bloatware and what not. If I disable it, I get a ton of ads it virtually makes browsing quite hard. I disable adblock only on sites that do not give much ads.

I do not like Google chrome at all. Prefer Firefox. Much more better than google chrome or internet explorer.

I found more solutions than I could ever find with a Google search :eek:

I recently enabled Adblock and it seems to have solve the problem completely (at least for now) but as @Livada suggested, I will also check my computer for Malwares, since I think that is the case

Hey, I suggested about malware before Livada :p Never mind though, What anti-virus do you use though? Because, if it is the case that you have malware it might be a good idea to get a better real-time protection.

download one of the following apps
Adblock, Hotspot Sheild Pro, and Ad Vanish pro, AD-remover lite, Trust GO, App Brain Ad detector, and thats it.

Back