How to make actual reviews.

• Thread starter BlazingPhoenix
  • Start date
B

BlazingPhoenix

I made Resetti's Bad list.
Banned User
Is it me, or is it that all of these reviews are extremly one sided, by which I mean almost every time someone posts a review on this website, even if it is controversal, the game almost always get a 10/10, sometimes a 9/10. I mean, EVERY gosh darn game. I understand it's their opinion, but i would expect something more diverse than constant 100s. So i made a scoring guide: 0=worst game of all time, not one good thing, 1=Horrible, 2=Extremly awful,3=really bad, 4=bad, 5=medeocre, 6=decent, i guess, 7=ok, could be better, but overall good, 8=really good, 9=amazing, 10=one of the best games of all time!

Your scoring guide isn't so unique to say the least.
I wouldn't think your reviews would be any better.
Check your facts before you post anything that you say that isn't legit.
Several of the reviews aren't 90's and above and if they are some of them have deserved it.
Don't want to start a flame war but check your facts before you post.
(Think before you speak essentially)

Which reviews are you referring to? The one's on the main page or the ones in the forums?

I hope it's not the ones on the main site ;~;
In the case of the ones on the forums, then I can say that everyone has their viewpoint on how they would essentially "review" a game. The only way I can compare how a person reviews a game is if I actually played the very game, and for a good amount of time.

Sometimes your favorite game doesn't get a good score and you get mad but then you have to look at it from everyone's standpoint rather than something personal. Games are often compared to past games of its series and other games with similar gameplay.

With that, I'll conclude: A person who truly knew how to write reviews wouldn't only look at a game's merits and disregard its flaws just because they personally like the game.

I can go by and say some more but maybe you misunderstood something? ^^'

Which reviews are you referring to? The one's on the main page or the ones in the forums?
I do not wish to hurt anyone's feelings, so I will leave the people anonomos However, it upsets me to see like 12 10/10 reviews in the small span of the 3 weeks ive been here. I mean, the amount of praising and the limited amount of critisim kind of scares me, most specificaly one person wanting a game to be made just for cheap crossover reasons, to the point where I asked the person why, and person responded with "nintendo has pulled off gimmicks before, so this is nothing new". The amount of praising just scares me some days guys. It really does. I only know like 4 games i would actully give a 10/10, out of the 100s of games ive played.

http://3dspedia.com/stella-glow-review/
http://3dspedia.com/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-review/
http://3dspedia.com/wizdom-review/
http://3dspedia.com/extreme-exorcism-review/
I'm still not sure what you are talking about Ken.
I've been here for 2 years now 3 maybe, and seriously not many 10/10 reviews
The ones posted above are new(except for the extreme exorcism) and none of those are rated higher than a 75?
Could you possibly link to me the 12 10/10's in the span of 3 weeks?
You might be referring to very old reviews?

http://3dspedia.com/stella-glow-review/
http://3dspedia.com/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-review/
http://3dspedia.com/wizdom-review/
http://3dspedia.com/extreme-exorcism-review/
I'm still not sure what you are talking about Ken.
I've been here for 2 years now 3 maybe, and seriously not many 10/10 reviews
The ones posted above are new(except for the extreme exorcism) and none of those are rated higher than a 75?
Could you possibly link to me the 12 10/10's in the span of 3 weeks?
You might be referring to very old reviews?
Not on main site, and seriously quit being so flipping salty, okay, for real man you are acting like a 3 year old. Get your act together.

Not on main site, and seriously quit being so flipping salty, okay, for real man you are acting like a 3 year old. Get your act together.
My bad I was just trying to state a point.
Nothing from what I referred above was anything of me getting salty?
You could've referred /said different reviews from other people but other than that man I'll take my word back.

"Your scoring guide isn't so unique to say the least.
Several of the reviews aren't 90's and above and if they are some of them have deserved it.
(Think before you speak essentially)"
You basically threw my opinion of something into the ground, stabbed it, kicked it's head in, and laughed. THAT, is being salty.

"Your scoring guide isn't so unique to say the least.
(Think before you speak essentially)"
You basically threw my opinion of something into the ground, stabbed it, kicked it's head in, and laughed. THAT, is being salty.
I literally just said I took my words back?
I only said that to your opinion since I thought you were talking about the main site.
But either way I'll stop posting in this thread my bad dude.

Reactions: BlazingPhoenix
I literally just said I took my words back?
I only said that to your opinion since I thought you were talking about the main site.
But either way I'll stop posting in this thread my bad dude.
It's okay, all is forgivin, you don't need to leave. It happens, besides i am one over sensitive person.

Reactions: Lee Sin
It's okay, all is forgivin, you don't need to leave. It happens, besides i am one over sensitive person.
We all have opinions anyways so no hard feelings :coffee:

As far as reviews are concerned, a good review would first cover all the key features in a (in this case) game and discuss whether the feature is good or bad. For example, let's say we're reviewing Super Mario 3D World (mental RNG chose this game), what all would you speak of? Most people who would come to read reviews about a game would want to know what people think about a game, but at the same time not having the game's content spoiled in it (So don't put in the review that X character is unlockable in postgame). A good start would be to talk about the type of game it is (In this case, 3D Platformer). You can add on new things added to the game (such as the Cat Suit) and perhaps what type of players the game would appeal to (So if you're an FPS person, SM3DW isn't for you). I might not be able to cover all aspects of writing a good game review, but what I said above would serve as a good starting point, and from there ponder about what you could tell someone who doesn't know about whether they should buy a certain game or not. Think of it as a conversation more than a review, you'll find more things to say about it without saying too much to spoil the experience for someone.

As far as reviews are concerned, a good review would first cover all the key features in a (in this case) game and discuss whether the feature is good or bad. For example, let's say we're reviewing Super Mario 3D World (mental RNG chose this game), what all would you speak of? Most people who would come to read reviews about a game would want to know what people think about a game, but at the same time not having the game's content spoiled in it (So don't put in the review that X character is unlockable in postgame). A good start would be to talk about the type of game it is (In this case, 3D Platformer). You can add on new things added to the game (such as the Cat Suit) and perhaps what type of players the game would appeal to (So if you're an FPS person, SM3DW isn't for you). I might not be able to cover all aspects of writing a good game review, but what I said above would serve as a good starting point, and from there ponder about what you could tell someone who doesn't know about whether they should buy a certain game or not. Think of it as a conversation more than a review, you'll find more things to say about it without saying too much to spoil the experience for someone.
Perfect, could not have said it better

Perfect, could not have said it better
I'm more experienced in writing film reviews, so my knowledge kinda transferred over :p

I'm more experienced in writing film reviews, so my knowledge kinda transferred over :p
:thumbsup:hope you get paid good!

:thumbsup:hope you get paid good!
Well it's not an actual job, just a side hobby. So no pay sadly :oops:

Back